Out with the old...

Posted by KeAnE 
Re: Out with the old...
Date: October 27, 2005 01:07PM
Posted by: KeAnE
I agree. Robbie Williams can just about sing brilliantly anywhere.

Date: October 27, 2005 01:16PM
Posted by: Korn_Freak
KeAnE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree. Robbie Williams can just about sing
> brilliantly anywhere.

even in the sweage pipes?

Date: October 27, 2005 01:21PM
Posted by: KeAnE
Not sure, ne's never done a live performance in my village before.

Date: October 27, 2005 01:23PM
Posted by: danm
ive found robbie williams is a brilliant act either live or not, its the arrogance that he uses so well. thing is, he's entitled to because he is er... good.

anyone seen razorlight live? theyre pretty funky

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: October 27, 2005 02:03PM
Posted by: chet
my mate who went to leeds went not liking razor light or the killers... came back and he sed they were easily the best their :\ lol yeaa many ppl have told me they are good :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 27, 2005 02:41PM
Posted by: Peat
if he says the killers were the best their it must have been appauling. The Killers suck live.

Date: October 27, 2005 02:49PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
they were awful on live8, but then again sound was awful, the mic balance was all over the shop.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: October 27, 2005 03:55PM
Posted by: Muks_C
Chet, you seem to be pretty clued up listening to the trendy bands, then you go and ruin it all by saying you were gonna see McFly :(

I think bands in general today are simply not that good. Kasabian were on Jonathan Ross a couple of months ago, and they did Club Foot and were absolutely awful.

RHCP were absolutely terrible at the Slane Castle gig.

they can all sound good on CD when they've had 50 tries at it, but playing live they can't pull it off.

the only band i've seen footage of who sounded as good as their recorded versions, are Muse. (obviously i've not seen live performances of every band in the world, so you guys can let us know who were good or bad live)

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 27, 2005 04:35PM
Posted by: Peat
Muse are awesome live. however i spent the majority of the gig with crap acoustics as i was in SEATS halfway down the warehouse that is earls court. Jumped the fence and got down the front in time for the encore, then it was awesome!!!

Date: October 27, 2005 05:29PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
RHCP are fantastic live!

Manics are very good, Babyshambles are abysmal, Stephen Malkmus is the best I've ever seen live. Clor were pretty good too, if rather dull.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: October 27, 2005 05:40PM
Posted by: chet
Muks_C Wrote:
> Chet, you seem to be pretty clued up listening to
> the trendy bands, then you go and ruin it all by
> saying you were gonna see McFly

haha lol well i didnt want to see themm it was because of who was goin... quite decent group of people were gonna go and we all decided rather too late :( ah well.. we still had a good day in nottingham :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 27, 2005 05:41PM
Posted by: gav
Is it just me who thinks live versions shouldn't sound anything like the studio recording?

Bands live need to show more passion and enthusiasm than might come across on a CD. They need to interact with the crowd. Robbie does that. Even Coldplay somehow manage it, whether or not the music is crap.

In my opinion, the success of a band can roughly be deemed by how many live shows you've got. If you've not got many, it's because they all sound similar, or like a CD. If you've got loads, it's because there's variety and evolution over their time.

I've got 38 gigs of my favourite band on my hard drive, and then however many DVDs on top of that.
Date: October 27, 2005 06:21PM
Posted by: Muks_C
the thing is though, some bands seem to make no effort when performing live, making it sound crap as well as nothing like the recorded version. i'm not saying a live song should be the same as listening to the cd, but when they seem like the can't be bothered, thats bad.

RHCP in the Blane Castle gig were very poor, Frusciante seemed to play random solos for every song, and they weren't improvements on the recorded versions either, just random bending and long notes for nothing.

on the Hullabaloo concert, Matt pretty much played every solo note for note, and improvised a bit too, and used a range of instruments and effects to give each song the full effect. a lot of bands seem to think that cos its live, they'll get away with just a drumkit and bass and electric guitars, and don't need to bother attempting to do a song justice.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 27, 2005 06:22PM
Posted by: Covfan
gav Wrote:
> Is it just me who thinks live versions shouldn't
> sound anything like the studio recording?
>
> Bands live need to show more passion and
> enthusiasm than might come across on a CD. They
> need to interact with the crowd. Robbie does that.
> Even Coldplay somehow manage it, whether or not
> the music is crap.
>
> In my opinion, the success of a band can roughly
> be deemed by how many live shows you've got. If
> you've not got many, it's because they all sound
> similar, or like a CD. If you've got loads, it's
> because there's variety and evolution over their
> time.
>
> I've got 38 gigs of my favourite band on my hard
> drive, and then however many DVDs on top of that.
>
> __________
>
The Spice Girls released 38 gigs worth of music?!?! :O :P
Date: October 27, 2005 06:43PM
Posted by: Zcott
The best thing about jazz tunes is that they're re-invented almost every time they're playing. When I'm with my quartet, we can choose to play old tunes in a new way, or the way it's suggested. It really keeps things fresh for the audience and the performers.

Date: October 27, 2005 06:46PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Posted by: -qwerty- (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2005 02:49PM

they were awful on live8

Most bands were. The whole thing seemed screwed. I doub tevery band was crap live, it must have been tech issues somewhere

RHCP were absolutely terrible at the Slane Castle gig.

RHCP require good accoustic surrondings to sound good live. If everything isnt perfect, the whole thing goes tits up.

Seen Muse live in Glasgow and it was indeed fantastic.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 27, 2005 11:19PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Anyone ever seen Bruce Springsteen live? Saw him about 4 years ago, Amazing stuff from a 50 year old plus.

Naming yourself after a band is usually a very silly thing to do, because you usually prefer a different band within 3 months
Date: October 28, 2005 07:08AM
Posted by: b-tone
yep, saw the boss a year or two ago - the show was pretty good. i'm sure his knees will thank him in a few years ;-)

i saw bob dylan, but i think he must've died a few years before :|

____
Tony

Date: October 28, 2005 07:18AM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
My old man is an avid Bruce Springsteen fan, so as a result I sort of am too.

Have to say, his live stuff is miles ahead of the studio albums. He did a concert in New York a few years ago. Absolutely brilliant it was.
Date: October 28, 2005 08:59AM
Posted by: BigD
Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge is fantastic live. one of the only vocalists who can hit the notes he does on the album in a live performance. Also, Mark Tremonti is superb on the guitar live.

Feeder are good live, even though its not much of a show!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy