Best server?

Posted by genesis 
Best server?
Date: October 03, 2005 09:12PM
Posted by: genesis
Hey people,

Just finished my website, and was wondering if anyone had some good tips on who to go with in terms of web servers? EVen domain registration sites?

I don't really know what I need in terms of hosting, I mean I can only think that space is the important thing? I'm only decent with HTML, so I'm just looking for a simple service I can upload it to. Main thing that'll take up space I guess is pictures and music streaming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2005 09:15PM by genesis.
Re: Best server?
Date: October 03, 2005 09:17PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
I don't actually know who hosts me as I'm part of a series of domains, and so I don't sort it out. What are you looking for, and what extension are you using?

[Website]
Date: October 03, 2005 09:19PM
Do you mean domain name extension? :/ if so, .com. Otherwise, I have no idea what you're on about!
Date: October 03, 2005 09:32PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
[www.1asphost.com]

only a simple text link at the bottom of the page, good bandwidth and 100mb webspace.
also has ASP and CGI-bin support.
been using for ages.
Date: October 04, 2005 01:41AM
Posted by: _tux_
www.namecheap.com for the domain (although www.godaddy.com may be cheaper, i just dont like them)

www.asmallorange.com/hosting for hosting, the only one i can trust to not oversell the servers :)
Date: October 04, 2005 01:56AM
Posted by: Zcott
GoDaddy.com is fantastic - $9 for a .com for a year? That's nothing!

Date: October 04, 2005 06:34PM
Thanks guys!

Got the domain name and the server (thanks Jon and Scott!).

Okay, I'm a total twit when it comes to some of this stuff. I've got my website, but when you look at it online, you just see all the files that I want to actually be displayed as the web site (such as the individual html pages, pics and stuff).

How do I set it up so the pages actually display rather than having 'parent Directory' and all the files be visible?
Date: October 04, 2005 06:39PM
Posted by: keiran
call your main page : index

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: October 04, 2005 06:59PM
Posted by: gav
I was looking into getting a nice big dollop of webspace myself, so cheers for the recommendations guys... saves me asking again in a couple of weeks.

That A Small Orange looks quite nice.
Date: October 04, 2005 07:15PM
Posted by: _tux_
dont forget put me as referer :P
Date: October 05, 2005 11:18AM
Thanks everyone! I now have my website, domain name and server running smoothly :D

Thanks to all in this thread, especially Jon for the recommendations.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy