OMG, I got a job!! ( bottom of page 2 under He-Man)

Posted by Muks_C 
Re: almost finished my MSc...
Date: September 15, 2006 06:46AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
I know it was like....5 months ago nearly but how did the court thing go, muks?

I gave evidence a couple of months ago about a robbery i saw in the city once, it was only about a mobile phone but the thug that did it was there for like 10 other things so they put them all into one trial. Was pretty fun, getting cross examined by his defence cos all i had to do was tell the truth and they were screwed. I probably looked like an arrogant turd on the stand but whatever, he deserved the jail time he ended up with! (not for the phone I was talking about, he was up there for numerous assaults and other stuff too, lovely guy lol)
Date: September 15, 2006 10:23AM
Posted by: Muks_C
oh man, the court thing, one 1 hand it was the most nerve-wracking horrible experience i have ever had (the 2 days beforehand, especially the half an hour waiting to go into the courtroom) and on the other hand it was fantastic and i wish we had done it a few more times.

the anticipation was horrible, i've never felt so nervous and uncomfortable in my life. i generally don't like doing presentations or public speaking, but this felt like a whole new level. but since then, i've done 2 other presentations, and none of them now make me as nervous as they did before, because i've done something harder.

once i was in there and got into it, my nerves went, and i was fine, and they even said i did a good job of it in the debrief afterwards, they said i was a "convincing and believable expert". and it wasn't even real, i can't imagine how i will feel when i have to do it for real in a year or 2.

but the thing is, if you know what you're talking about, you'll be fine. i had worked on the case for about 6 weeks, so knew it inside-out, and obviously i wasn't trying to lie about anything and didn't have any hidden agenda or ulterior motive, so the answers came out well.

you usually have problems when you don't know what you're talking about in public speaking, so i was fine here. and the main thing to remember is that you're not the one on trial, you've been called to help the Judge/Jury, even though the barristers might try their hardest to make you feel like you're the one on trial.

the defence barrister was trying to rubbish the whole field of document examination/handwriting comparison as guesswork and non-scientific assumptions, but i gave her answers that showed i (and my colleagues in the whole field) do use set protocols and scientific principles in the examination, which then lead to a well-thought out conclusion.

it was fun though!!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 15, 2006 07:40PM
Posted by: gareth
courts are funny

a guy I play footy with is a barrister and I asked tonight if he sees what he does as a contest between barristers or a contest between right and wrong. he replied emphaticaly that it's a contest between baristers, although he draws the line at defending alleged rapists or someone blatantly guilty at the crime alleged. he reasons that he is hired to provide a service, which is fair enough in my opinion.

where the system buggers up is in my case a few years ago. a girl i was going out with drove my car into a telegraph pole, causing enough damage to write off my car. in the ensuing court cases, despite my then girlfriend being at the wheel and as such responsible for the crash, and me absorbing the destruction of my $3,000 car, I was 'awarded' the $450 fine and charge including permanent record, while she got off with a 12 month good behaviour bond, which realistically ammounted to 3/5ths of sweet f*** all. not happy Jan!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2006 08:34PM by gareth.
Date: September 15, 2006 08:21PM
ooh, bad luck there.

yeah it's just a big game for the barristers. our lecturer told us that they could be really fighting it out in the courtroom, then be having a pint together at lunch having a laugh.

Re: Finished my MSc...!!
Date: November 13, 2006 02:23PM
hello again.

although i handed in my dissertation in mid-september, i just found out today i have passed everything and have got an MSc with Merit (whatever that means).

the graduation ceremony is 3 weeks tomorrow, December 5th.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2006 06:19PM by Muks_C.
Date: November 13, 2006 03:05PM
Posted by: Zcott
Awesome, congratulations! :D

Date: November 13, 2006 06:12PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Woohoo. Muks_C's a Master of Sciences! ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: November 13, 2006 06:20PM
searched for He Man and found this:

(was going to find a pic of He Man and changes the word to "Masters of the Sciences" but can't be bothered now)

EDIT:

found out what the Merit thing means. If you get an overall grade of 70% or higher, it's a Distinction (similar to when you get a 1st on an undergrad course). Merit is awarded if you get 60-70%, like an Upper 2nd (2:1) on an undergrad course, so that's what i got.

that's ok, as i didn't expect a 1st anyway, i'm happy with the 60-70% level.

i doubt anyone on the course got a 1st, because of the 5 of use who were on it, only i handed every single piece of work in on time, including my dissertation. 2 people handed the dissertation in just under a week late, and 2 others are still doing their dissertations, with deadlines of December and January, the first got the extension for "depression", the other cos he had a car accident and had to have an operation so couldn't do the work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2006 06:33PM by Muks_C.
Re: OMG, I got a job!!
Date: March 31, 2008 09:56PM
*bump*

as you may know i've been struggling to get a proper job since finishing uni and graduating from the MSc course, but after over a year of writing to many companies, and trying for any basic science jobs through agencies, i finally got one through an agency called SRG (Science Recroutment Group) and started today. it's only a 3-month contract, but depending on how i go and what they think of me, it could become permanent after that time.

it's at a company called DePuy CMW (pronounced De Pew like Pepe Le Pew) and is owned by Johnson & Johnson. i work at their Blackpool facility as a general lab technician at the moment, but if i become permanent then i'll be one of the actual Quality Control scientists i'm working with now, who test the raw materials and also the products that are being manufactured part-way through the manufacturing process, and testing the various formulations of the many products, both physical (strength, durability) and chemical tests (antibiotic properties).

at our place, they make bone cement, so if you were to get a hip replacement, to fix the metal bit that has the ball on the end of it, to your bone, you need this bone cement to be squirted inside your femur so the metal bit will stay still.

if you're interested, here's the main company website: Click, and here's the site for our specific division of DePuy, the orthopaedics division: Click

so no more late nights pulling pints!! i can actually go out and have fun myself at weekends now!

Re: OMG, I got a job!! ( bottom of page 2 under He-Man)
Date: March 31, 2008 10:16PM
Posted by: Paco
Congrats, Muks! :)

I'm against sigpics
Hey!

Great news for you Mukesh! Hope you enjoy your job to the maximum :)
congrats muks!

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
and don't spend your income on car models :p
Congrats Muks! Took me a year and a half to land a full time job after I received my degree. The hardest part has been readjusting to getting up early in the morning after being able to stay up until the wee hours during school and my job search...;)

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Late nights pulling what? :)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: OMG, I got a job!! ( bottom of page 2 under He-Man)
Date: April 06, 2008 01:57PM
Posted by: Damas
Congratulations !! :)
to follow Muks here, I also got a job! Finally got my internship at McDonald's Corp. , I start next Monday. Definitely will be a big change from full time bum to a full time employee ;). And to think I was probably just another month or so away from being able to be classified as unemployed since my graduation in mid-December :-o
Could i get a McChicken Sandwich and Fries please. Oh yeah, a large coke too ;)

Glad to see you got a job to Gui, hope you enjoy it :)
Not sure about enjoying it, I'll have to take care of the data for all sales in Latin America ;). And screw you and your order! I'll probably be eating a quarter pounder every day for lunch, hehe. Anyway, back in 1997 I actually worked one day at a McD's store (for charity) and I cooked a few burgers, if you had been there maybe you'd have eaten one ;)
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure about enjoying it, I'll have to take care
> of the data for all sales in Latin America ;). And
> screw you and your order! I'll probably be eating
> a quarter pounder every day for lunch, hehe.
> Anyway, back in 1997 I actually worked one day at
> a McD's store (for charity) and I cooked a few
> burgers, if you had been there maybe you'd have
> eaten one ;)

Remember Gui the customer is always right ;).

and around 1997 i wouldn't have even known what McDonald's was ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy