OMG, I got a job!! ( bottom of page 2 under He-Man)

Posted by Muks_C 
OMG, I got a job!! ( bottom of page 2 under He-Man)
Date: August 23, 2005 11:08AM
Posted by: Muks_C
hey guys, as you may know, when I finished my degree in 2004, I applied to do an MSc in Document Analysis, but in august the document expert woman who taught the course left uni and probably went back to work.

so I have spent the last year and a bit doing part time bar work and generally enjoying myself.

but I inquired a couple of weeks ago, and we (UCLan) will be getting a new Document Expert from Cambridge to teach the course this year, so I re-applied and today got an info pack with an unconditional offer.

I will fill it in to accept, and need to attach photocopies of my previous qualifications so they believe I really do have the qualifications I said I had on the application form, and we'll see how it goes from there.

anyone else doing any kind of postgrad course?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2008 09:57PM by Muks_C.
Re: I might be going back to uni to do an MSc...
Date: August 23, 2005 11:23AM
Posted by: Spike02
Postgrad courses at Paisley uni top over £3000 per year :O

how much is it gonna cost you?
Date: August 23, 2005 11:56AM
it was £3010, but if you did your degree at the same uni, you get a 20% discount, so mine its now around £2400 for me.

I don't know if the discount works at every uni, but you should inquire about it. maybe UCLan are just doing it to keep students from going elsewhere?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2005 01:18PM by Muks_C.
Date: August 23, 2005 12:19PM
Posted by: chet
wow! well good luck and have fun :D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 23, 2005 02:10PM
Posted by: BigD
A big welcome back to UCLan!!!!
Date: August 23, 2005 04:04PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Yep, swansea do the same muks.

I considered it, but realised it was only an effort to put off the next stage of my life i guess.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: August 23, 2005 04:45PM
Posted by: six degrees
-qwerty- Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep, swansea do the same muks.
>
> I considered it, but realised it was only an
> effort to put off the next stage of my life i
> guess.
>
>
>

isn't that the whole point? ;)

Date: August 23, 2005 06:40PM
it was for me last year!

but i put off proper work for a year so far anyway, and had actually started looking for jobs, but then this opportunity came up, so i'm gonna take it!

i can't face the fact that for the next 40 years we'll have to work 9-5 for 5 or 6 days a week, thats like most of your life!!! aaaaaarrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Re: I *AM* going back to uni to do an MSc...
Date: September 29, 2005 07:19PM
hello again.

I enrolled today, and am now £821.33 lighter...

had to pay 1/3 of the fees upfront :(

anyway, there's been loads of development of the UCLan campus, looks very good.

so many fit girls wandering around (one of the highlights of any uni, I'm sure), the eyes take a while to adjust.

signed up and paid for the new EXTRA NUS student card, bloody £10!!

you can get a normal NUS card, but that only proves you are a student, and doesn't earn you any discounts.

you have to make sure you get at least £10 worth of discounts in the year, to make the investment worth while.

there are only around 25 students in the (3) Forensic Postgraduate courses, and only 7 on my particular course!

2 girls from Trinidad, a few from around the country, and 1 guy from Saudi Arabia, who has already worked in the field for 8 years, but needs a formal qualification so his company sent him over to get it (they send a few over every year for various qualifications).

start proper on monday.

we will have our own room and will get a key each, so we can use it whenever we want, so no need to mingle with the peasants, I mean undergraduates, in the library ;).

anyone else doing any postgard courses?

anyone else in Preston/UCLan?

Date: September 29, 2005 08:41PM
Posted by: keiran
Spike02 Wrote:
> Postgrad courses at Paisley uni top over £3000 per
> year :O
>
> how much is it gonna cost you?
>
>
>
> dyslexics of the world...untie!

were lucky in Scotland I'm pretty sure we get 4 years of Uni for free :D

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: September 29, 2005 10:01PM
Posted by: Karan19
good luck on your MSc Muks_C. How many years will the course be for?

I was considering doing an MSc or MEngg as well but its too expensive and I dont think my GPA will be competitive enough to get in :(
I'm currently doing my last undergraduate year of Mechanical Engineering :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2005 10:02PM by Karan19.
Date: September 30, 2005 01:26AM
Posted by: Spike02
keiran Wrote:
> Spike02 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Postgrad courses at Paisley uni top over
> £3000 per
> > year :O
> >
> > how much is it gonna cost you?
> >
> >
> >
> > dyslexics of the world...untie!
>
> were lucky in Scotland I'm pretty sure we get 4
> years of Uni for free :D
>
> Keiran
>
>
>
>
> vMax.Keiran
> Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
> www.vMaxSR.com

might seem free to us but mind it's being paid for by other's uni tuition fees and taxes
Date: September 30, 2005 04:03PM
@ Karan, its just 1 year, but it actually is the full 12 months, not the 9 months we normally call a 'year'.

1st semester from september-january, 2nd from february-june, and 3rd from july-september.

Date: September 30, 2005 04:24PM
Posted by: bazza
keiran Wrote:

> were lucky in Scotland I'm pretty sure we get 4
> years of Uni for free :D
>
> Keiran
>
>
>
>
> vMax.Keiran
> Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
> www.vMaxSR.com

It's only free till you graduate, then you have to pay a graduation fee, which this year is £2030.

I have to pay mine in May =(
Date: September 30, 2005 11:12PM
Posted by: keiran
:o Never listen to your guidance teacher then ;), she told our class that we were lucky because in Scotland we get 4 years free of uni :s Mind you wouldn't surprise me if my guidance teacher got it wrong she often forgets things :p

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: October 01, 2005 11:52AM
if I heard correctly in the media, aren't degree fees increasing (roughly doubling) from 2006 or something, making them around £6000 per year?

Date: May 01, 2006 05:27PM
hello guys.

just an update on my situation.

we've finished all the work for the 2nd semester, just have our dissertation/project proposals to hand in on friday, then 2 revision weeks, then a couple of exams (practical and theory), then we start the projects in June i think, for 3 months, so no summer holiday for us this year...hand it in in mid-september, and all being well, graudtae in december, or we can put it off for the following july, but they advised us that the december one is quiter because it's mainly for the people who had to resit exams, and those of us who finish the course at the unconventional time of year.

but tomorrow, i have a moot court session, where i will be cross-examined by a real barrister woman, who works in the law dept. of our uni.

all 3 of the courses (anthropology, DNA and Document Analysis) were give cases to work on a few weeks ago, so we had to exmaine the evidence, do the tests etc, then write a court report, and hand 5 copies of it in.

did that last week, so now the legal people involved (prosecution and defence barristers, judge etc.) will hopefully have read them, and will know what it's about, so will ask us questions.

and then we'll be cross-examined by the defence barrister, aided by a scientist, and they will try to undermine our evidence and make us look silly (and make us cry, if they can).

i'm really nervous (as i'm sure the other 20-odd people are). these sessions are spread over 3 days, they'll get through maybe 7 or 8 cases on each.

i'm 2nd in the afternoon tomorrow (about 4th of the day), at 2pm.

i'm glad mine's onthe 1st day, cos i'd be worrying about it for the next week or so if it was on a later day.

it forms 35% of the mark for our Expert Witness & the legal System module, so we have to do well, just hope i haven't missed anything out in my report that they will attack me on.

i get really nervous with any public speaking, even presentations with just 5 or 6 people watching, who knows how i'll cope tomorrow. it's weird though, i'm, not the one on trial, i'm there helping the court, it's not as if i'm a murderer or robber.

we went in our mock courtroom last week and out lecturer explained the etiquette. we don't have to bow to the judge or anyone, cos we are "experts", as opposed to ordinary lay witnesses. (we went to the real Crown court to watch a couple of times, and saw a policeman give evidence, and he bowed 6 times in his entire visit, when he didn't have to even bow once, but it's just mis-information and nerves i suppose.

our lecturer said to have a drink beforehand, then added "i mean water!" and we all laughed, but one of my mates who did a law module on the BSc. did actually have a couple of pints before his court session a couple of years ago, and answered nearly every question with "that is not within the realm of my expertise", one of my mates told me, who's seen him in there. he was a propar bag of nerves.

to assure us, our lecturer kept telling us that we are the scientists (lol, nearly the name of the band) and we know what procedures we did, and if we did them correctly and according to the correct methods, we will be able to defend ourselves, which is reassuring in a way, cos the barristers from the law dept. have no idea of the 3 disciplines.

got my suit and shoes ready, at least i shall look the part. the judge and barristers will be in full uniform also.

have any of you ever given evidence in court? how was it?

Date: September 14, 2006 08:26PM
hey guys. i finished my dissertation last night, had 3 copies bound today, will hand in tomorrow, and then i've finished the course!!yay!!

anyone doing a postgrad course this year?

Date: September 14, 2006 08:42PM
Posted by: danm
not til next year... well year after next.

im on a 7 year course, going into year 3, year 4 is a work placement in an architects' practice :)

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Re: almost finished my MSc...
Date: September 15, 2006 02:47AM
Posted by: Karan
congrats Muks :)

I finish my undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering this December. Receive my Iron Ring this winter itself (its some Canadian engineering tradition) although my official convocation will be next June

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy