The Dales Way

Posted by villarule 
The Dales Way
Date: June 30, 2005 11:21PM
Posted by: villarule
Some people may have (Or may not) have noticed a bit of quietness from me over the past week or so, here, I shall explain:

Thursday 23rd June

Day 1: Illkley>Buckden - walked 12 miles

It was a very hot day, but we were following the river Wharf (SPL??) for the majority of the day and that ment walking through various woods and things, very nice shade and it was a very enjoyable. We also went past the ruind Bolton Abbey and that looked quite immense. When we reached Burnside, we went straight to the Pub :D and had a Pint of Bitter Shandy. We booked into a pleasent little B&B (Clean and En Suite - im happy) and went for dinner, which, for me was: Starter- Broccoli and stilton soup. Main-Meatballs stuffed with Mozzerella and a Pepper Gravy. All washed down with a Pint of Carling

My Bitter Shandy

The bridge next to the pub

Friday 24th June: Day 2 Burnside>HubberHome 15 Mile

A very long and tirering walk, but we were down the side of the river again and it was pleasent, though the begginings of a blister were appearing on my small toe on my right foot, but it wasnt much. We booked into the B&B which was an old Farmhouse, but it was comfy, and had Sky TV B) and our own bathroom instead of en suite. We went to the Pub for tea, which was a steak and ale pie, with 2 pints of Stella.

Some River shots:

Saturday 25th June: Day 3 HubberHome>Cam houses 8-10 Mile

This day, although the shortest seemed one of the hardest. We were walking higher into the Yorkshire Dales by this time and there were alot of unfogiving farm roads and fields which became quite uncomfortable but the weather was quite cool and refreshing which helped. For the last 2 and half mile or so, it was a horrible stretch, we could see the farm we were stopping at, but it never seemed to get nearer, no matter how many ladder stiles we went over :angry: . This was a pleasent evening, the farm was in the middle of nowhere, so it was a B&B and evening meal, which was Chicken soup for starters, chicken breast, carrots and potatoes for main and a pie that looked like rhubarb, but I didnt dare try it as I have a dislike for that, so I mixed it in with the ice cream side and swallowed it hole. I had a headache that evening as well, and due to paracetamol, it was an evening of Cups of Tea.

I didnt get any decent pictures of that day.

Sunday 26th June: Day 4 Cam houses>Sedbergh (I think) 13-14 mile

The Killer Day. It started with a walk across a path which was the pennine way, and the biggest climb of the walk (Straight after a big Full English) followed a slow decline down the other side where we headed for the start of the River Ribble (Or the end of the Ribble Way walk) where a found a wonderful souvenier. We had a good few mile down the hill/mountain which seemed to be endless. We walked through a small village called Dent where there was a folk festival and the Pub sounded Jolly, but I sat outside and settled for a coke. Then we walked onto the home stretch which was about 4 mile. I call this the killer day because the huge majority was road walking, and by the end, I had a huge blister on my little toe on my left foot (it was like another toe), my boots were digging into my ankles and I seemed to have strained a muscle, and so I could barely walk on my left leg and I didnt enjoy it at all. Tea was a Cauliflower and Brocolli soup for starter and a Cod in Beer Batter for main. This was dround down with 2 pints of Carlsberg extra cold (They didnt serve stella :( and seemed not to have carling, and the bar woman seemed to convert Carling to Carlsberg :blink: ).

Some scenes:

And a pint :D

Monday 27th June : Day 5 Sedbergh>Burnside 14-15 mile

A cracking day. Bright sunshine and we had got into the Lakes (just about), my favourite place in England, and it also ment Jets practicing low flying B). I really enjoyed this day, planes flying everywhere (well, we saw about 8 or 9) and alot of it was country roads and we got to see a massive, brilliant old railway bridge near the M6 and it was an awesome sight, the lakes always look great in the distance. Even thought the Sun was shining, it was at a decent temperature all the way and was very comfortable. Helped even more by the fact that a heavy dose of Savlon and an extra pair of socks seemed to solve the blister and digging in problem. Plus, I also found a Fiver at a Farm :D For Food, I had a Prawn Cocktail for starter and a Korma For main, sinked with a few pints of Kronenberg (The pub didnt have Stella, Carling or Carlsberg :shkd: )

The bridge:

Tuesday 28th June: Day 6 Burnside>Boness 10 Mile

Last day :D. Another good walk. Great weather and as the last day, I never seemed to run out of energy lol. A decent route. The lakes becoming more and more apparent and lots of decent farm fields to walk through, and a very comfortable day., Tea was Haddock and Chips and 3 pints of Stella.

A great walk and I reccomend it to anyone and I would do it again...after a few weeks rest. There are lots of great views, and with anywalks, you meet great people.

Decent, proper pictures will be posted when i get my Grandad's lot

Re: The Dales Way
Date: June 30, 2005 11:23PM
Posted by: mortal
Have you been off naked rambling which seems to be somewhat popular, along with getting arrested for doing it and is that you or the second pint that is out of focus :-) Nice piccies btw.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: June 30, 2005 11:25PM
Rambling..with clothes ;P

Blured = naff phone camera ;)

Date: July 01, 2005 12:04AM
Posted by: The Lopper
Who the hell are you again. ;)
Date: July 01, 2005 12:18PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
nice little e-diary thing, good to see you kept up the drinking ;-)
Date: July 01, 2005 02:22PM
Who the hell are you again.

Im kinda new here, but been around a month or 2 :P

good to see you kept up the drinking

Hehe, its a hard habit to kick too, its so weird not having a pint in the evening now, and we only have 6 bottles of Bud left :(

Date: July 01, 2005 02:39PM
Posted by: gav
16 and addicted... even I, with my stella reputation, wasn't that bad...

Nice read though, good stuff :)
Date: July 01, 2005 08:13PM
Not really addicted to the drink, more the routine of it.

Get to dig, rest, shower, get changed, go pub and drink & eat, go bed.

After doing that for a week, it just feels dead strange, I like routine, seems to help me be efficiant

Date: July 01, 2005 10:39PM
Posted by: Vader
After DAles Way I demand a Whales Day now. I got some confidential info on blue whale tongues to share. :p

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 02, 2005 12:17AM
Posted by: gav
You can tell a mile off when Vader's got back from the pub ;)
Date: July 02, 2005 12:23AM
Ah, I was rather confused by the post ;)

Date: July 02, 2005 01:26AM
Posted by: Enjoi
Hey, sounds like a cool trip :)

I live in the lakes, its a really nice place if you're into your walking/hiking.

When I used to live in Grasmere we used to here jets go over every 10 minutes when the sun was out :P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy