Mozilla Firefox

Posted by BorgDroneX 
Mozilla Firefox
Date: May 12, 2005 08:47PM
Posted by: BorgDroneX
Hmmmmm is this popular browser now following in the footsteps of Microsoft's IE?

I've noticed now, how flaws are starting to appear (the browser suffering its 1st major 1 to my knowledge just recently)

I know that a patch has been released allready but is it going to end up like IE and keep getting patched every other week??

should i keep using it safe in the knowledge that its still as secure has its been stated (and safer than IE)???

NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND 2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2005 08:49PM by BorgDroneX.
Re: Mozilla Firefox
Date: May 12, 2005 08:57PM
Posted by: NickKK
As it gains popularity amongst people it will become more of a target to hackers so it's own success will kill it in due course :(

Date: May 12, 2005 09:04PM
Posted by: villej
Well, but at least they fix it's problems instantly, that sadly wasn't the case with Microsoft and IE though.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: May 12, 2005 10:25PM
Posted by: gav
Also bear in mind that a lot of IEs problems are/were ActiveX related. Disable that (on a clean install) and most of the serious security problems would go away. Firefox will never have ActiveX, and so those problems simply aren't possible.

Any browser will gain popularity among hackers when it rises up the in the market share tables, but it's been around for (I'd guess) a year now, since it got popular, and how many major flaws have their been?
Date: May 12, 2005 10:37PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
What 'major' problem did Firefox have?

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: May 13, 2005 01:31AM
Posted by: Zcott
Not enough people were using it, that's the main problem. ;)

Firefox rules. Except I use Opera.

Date: May 13, 2005 10:04AM
Posted by: G_Force
I wonder how many people microsoft have tasked with hacking and finding holes in firefox?

----------
[timblair.net]
----------
Homer Simpson: "Well i would like to live long enough to see the effects of global warming, cos i've got an inside line that its all a load of crap"
Date: May 13, 2005 11:17PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
To be honest, like villej said, at least with Firefox updates come out almost instantly. There's also the advantage of being able to use it on a USB key, i.e. without registry - so you can use it properly on things like school PCs etc...link:

[johnhaller.com]

Lack of ActiveX controls is also good, but the best thing for me has to be extensions such as as the web developer tool, aardvark, and instant validation of html/xhtml etc...

Also, supports CSS-2 far better than I.E. 6 (which basically doesn't for all intents and purposes), and can handle true colour transparency in images, compared to 256-colour in IE. Very annoying that IE can't do that!

Basically, I love Firefox, and I doubt IE 7 will do anything to change my mind either :)

[Website]
Date: May 13, 2005 11:20PM
Posted by: Covfan
It seems the bandwagon these days is to hate everything made my Microsoft. Meh indeed.
Date: May 13, 2005 11:25PM
Posted by: markko
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4 is out now fixing these issues :)
Date: May 13, 2005 11:34PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
To be fair I have nothing against Microsoft especially. I happily run XP Proffesional and Microsoft Office (although I do also use the Open Office.org 2.0 BETA and Linux as well). To be honest, it's not the security issues that bother me with Internet Explorer - not once did any security issues cause me any problem. What I can't stnad is is Microsoft's lazy and blatantly crap implementation of CSS-2 standards and HTML. That's actually what annoys me about IE. If only there wasn't a problem with that, I'd be very happy with it (Although the extensions available on firefox would still mean i wouldn't want to change - good for web development).

[Website]
Date: May 14, 2005 02:05AM
Posted by: gav
Personally, I understand the MS stance with IE, WMP, OE and the rest - I don't agree with how they've dealt with it, technically, but I'm pleased they're there. For newbies trying to get internet access, email, and media playback would be rather harder to explain...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy