Vader Trophy - Solitude Gallery

Posted by Glyn 
Re: Vader Trophy - Solitude Gallery
Date: December 03, 2004 09:00PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Woo! it arrived today :) Hopefully I can install it tommorow :D £3.99 from mx2

For some reason, even though people say the other cars are easier, I can only get about 1min 14's with them on glen demo (not changing the setup) so the Lotus seems to be the only one that I am not as bad with. I dunno I guess I will just have to learn. The BRM seems bulky and really slow at accelerating and understeers. The Brabham seems good at accellerating and a good little car - but it is not very powerfull at all it seems. The Cooper seems in the same style as the Lotus, but not quite as fast. THe lotus seems fast and oversteery and I seem to like it but it may be too hard for me? I dunno, people said it was hard. I really haven't had much experience with the cars though so, is what I am saying about right? I guess I will have to put the full game on and I will only be able to truelly see when I have a wheel :)

If someone is willing sometime, would they be availeable to look at my driving and tell me what I am doing wrong? If so, that would be a great help :D

Cheers, Daniel

H E L L O
Date: December 03, 2004 09:17PM
Posted by: Glyn
One of the things people tend to comment about GPL is how the cars all drive differently (as you've noticed). Speaking from experience, here is what I've discovered about them:

Brabham - A cracking chassis, but the engine is pants and all the power arrives in one lump. A tricky thing to get used to, but it is a quick little thing.

BRM - Cast from a solid lump of pig iron. It may have the most powerful engine, but it's a great big fat lump.

Cooper - Like the Brabham, has a wonderful chassis, but powered by hamsters in wheels. The power delivery is smoothish though, and it's a truly great thing to drive!

Eagle - Power! Power! Power! Understeer! Understeer! Understeer!

Ferrari - Probably the best all rounder. Good revvy engine, good handling, stable. What more can you want?

Honda - The Honda isn't called the white whale for no reason. It's heavy, but powerful. Drive it smoothly though and it's fast, as long as you can get the engine to last :)

Lotus:

Powered by the Ford DFV engine, DFV doesn't stand for deadly f**king vehicle for no reason.

It is the best all rounder though if you can tame the beast.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2004 09:18PM by Glyn.
Date: December 03, 2004 09:18PM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

stay away from the BRM and Honda, there crap.

ferrari is the easiest to drive because u can catch huge slides.

Date: December 03, 2004 10:56PM
Posted by: Locke Cole
The challenge is NOT being in a Ferrari, though. I find myself doing best in a BRM - I guess I like the feel of it :)
Date: December 03, 2004 11:30PM
I seem to like the lotus - for some reason I like unstability maybe :D although I may not have seen the light.

The BRM, when driving it, I did the cutch start on a straight to practise and i went to highest revs to see how much wheel spin I would get when comming off the clutch (shame it is only a digital clutch :( but what can I do - you can't really get wheels with clutchs, act labs did one but I tihnk it is not sold anymore - does a clutch make games much better though? You'd be able to do a lot more) and when I got to highest revs, and was about engage the clutch with the gearbox, the engine blew :D :D :D

This really shocked me - In the lotus I find it is nearly impossible to blow up the engine.

Does anyone have a rough idea at what rpm I should be changing gears at? I am doing it at 8000 or whatever it is in the lotus (8 on the dial) as I thought the engine sounded about right then. Also I am not very good at changing down in the game :D I seem to leave it to mid corner, and it unsettles the car, and can cause me to spin if I drop into a low gear in order to get good accelleration out of the corner - I also seem to accelerate and then realise the engine doesn't sound right so drop into a lower gear :D I think it is making me stay off of the accelerator too long :(

There is no speedo in the game - so I have to judge my speed by revs :D I have no idea how fast I am going though, but I would quite like to know. It wells you in chase view, but not normal view :( - there is no dial for it

When I press F2, the fonts seem to have a very, very strange border around them mkaing them unreadeable - I heard this could be because of forec FSAA, but I have not got this turned on. It is annoying, as I need to use f2 to find my postiion etc, but cannot do this.

Anyway, hopefully I can install the game tommorow and get going :) I saw there is a good long version of monza with the banked section that looked good.

Don't be suprised if I make a topic or two with quesions on what I should download, asking for driving tips, or what are good tracks to get etc :D

Cheers, Daniel

H E L L O
Date: December 03, 2004 11:54PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
In the lotus I find it is nearly impossible to blow up the engine.

You have alot to learn about GPL then :-)

There is no speedo in the game - so I have to judge my speed by revs :D I have no idea how fast I am going though, but I would quite like to know. It wells you in chase view, but not normal view - there is no dial for it

Download this: [web.infoave.net] (2mb) and check out the options

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 04, 2004 12:20AM
Posted by: gav
Here's my brief outline of each car

Lotus: Fastest car on most tracks by quite a bit... very good top speed, very fast around the corners, but a real bitch to control sometimes. Lots of torque means it can be hard to lay the power down coming out of a corner. And I've seen strawberry whips with better strength properties.

Brabham: Actual winner of the 1967 season. GPL doesn't really do it justice. Bags, and bags and more bags of torque, very light and nimble, and very good through corners. Too much torque means it can be quite hard to set really fast times though. Poor top speed too.

Ferrari: Imagine a V12. And then stick a mammoth stomping megaphone to the exhaust... this car sounds gorgeous. Very easy to drive, very predictable, probably has the best brakes on the game, and capable of fast times... let down by a lack of power... oh it drinks more fuel per second than I drink Stella per year.

Cooper: Oh yeah... really really fun to drive... you could end up going into a corner backwards and still feel in control. Just so, so, so slidy, and so, so, so easy to correct. Less power than my Honda VT125, but who cares when you have this much fun? :cool:

Eagle: This eagle flies. And it flies fast... fastest car of the lot in a straight line, and a long wheel base means it's quite easy in the corners too... not the most fun, but it succeeds where Honda failed. Probably even more unreliable than the Lotus.

Honda: 2nd slowest (even the slowest on some tracks) car of all of them... don't really know where it fails (I refuse to drive it), but it's got good straight-line speed, and revs at around twice the range of the Brabham.

BRM: Fastest bath-tub in the west. 6 gears is about the best praise I can give it... it's also got more cylinders than a toilet roll factory... (a HORIZONTAL H16!!), but it's heavy... and heavier than that too... in fact George Bush was understood to have ordered several for use in Iraq...
Date: December 04, 2004 12:23AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Eagle - Probably even more unreliable than the Lotus.

Duno about that one. I drove it for VT2 and had very few failures but if i thrash a lotus it can die in 5 minutes. Eagle does come with crap brakes and a truck load of understeer

Honda: 2nd slowest (even the slowest on some tracks) car of all of them... don't really know where it fails

Weight and its got more understeer than 10 eagles combined

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 04, 2004 12:33AM
Posted by: gav
Dunno about the understeer for the Eagle - set it up right (IE GH2 setups :P), and you soon change your opinion of that one ;)

My reliability theory comes from some web-page that listed the chances of reliability for all the cars - dunno how accurate it is - I don't tend to race the Eagle much, just hotlap.
Date: December 04, 2004 02:19PM
Posted by: sasjag
> In the lotus I find it is nearly impossible to
> blow up the engine.

sommet tells me ChrisB would disagree :P

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: December 04, 2004 02:52PM
must have something to do with the setup :D

H E L L O
Date: December 04, 2004 02:52PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Or youve got damage set to novice :P

Date: December 04, 2004 03:52PM
No :P I have it on realistic when practising.

I cannot change it off of novice though when I want to do a short race :( is there any way to do this?

H E L L O
Date: December 04, 2004 04:30PM
Posted by: Lanky-Lad
Neil that was fantastic! Really Funny! :) I bow down to your complete awesome-ness!

"Treat others with respect and you too will be respected." Oac - ed'c dnia - E ys yldiymmo drec cyt. :)
Date: December 04, 2004 04:59PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
sasjag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > In the lotus I find it is nearly impossible
> to
> > blow up the engine.
>
>
> sommet tells me ChrisB would disagree :P

AAh dont get me started on ye old lotus engines, check the stats with me and orpheus in vt1 ;)

Date: December 04, 2004 05:18PM
For Chris' experience on Lotus engines, check the VT1 Mosport gallery (history > season 1) and the VT2 Laguna Seca gallery (History > season 2).

From my personal experience the Lotus is reliable as long as you control the revs. I've had very little failures with it, but I keep the revs to exactly 9000. The problem with the Eagle I think is that even when you don't over rev it the thing will still blow on ya.

Date: December 04, 2004 05:27PM
Posted by: matthewp
The guys have described the cars pretty well, although personally I dont find the lotus too hard to drive, if i'm gonna drive a race flat-out in the cooper or the lotus, i'd put more money on me not making any mistakes in the lotus than the cooper. But thats mainly because you've got to thrash the cooper so much to make it go quick, at which point it becomes quite a handful, but at lower speeds its the easiest to drive.

Date: December 04, 2004 05:29PM
I'll agree with you Matt that the Lotus ia easy to drive once you can tame it. That's why I posted the pic of the ambulance :) At first it is a very hard car to drive, but when you get it under control it's a lot easier. In free chassis races I quite often take the Lotus because I know the chance of me spinning is a lot less.

Date: December 04, 2004 07:32PM
Posted by: villej
Great gallery as always Glyn. You are really good at making these. :)
I'm always laughing out loud at them, and I quess it's not a bad thing :P

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2004 07:34PM by villej.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy