Grand Turismo 4

Posted by Korn_Freak 
Re: Grand Turismo 4
Date: May 31, 2004 04:07PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Cool! I hope its a physical improvement - cos GT3 was less cars, less sim esque, and just worse. I would consider GT2 the only real console race sim tbh.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: May 31, 2004 04:32PM
Posted by: JustinZiarko
hope prolouge comes tomorow, note to self: never rely on royal mail.
Date: May 31, 2004 05:28PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
-qwerty- Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool! I hope its a physical improvement - cos GT3
> was less cars, less sim esque, and just worse. I
> would consider GT2 the only real console race sim
> tbh.

As excellent as GT2 was, i dont class that as a sim either. They are miles ahead of arcade stuff, but still not worthy of a "sim" title. It doesnt model proper suspension travel and seperate grip ammounts for each wheel. All sims, GP4, F1C, GPL, NR2003, and loads more do that. Its a must have.

Brilliant games, but not sims

Date: May 31, 2004 05:53PM
Posted by: sasjag
i agree dave, but they are immensly fun and u can lose urself for hours on them so that dont really bother me

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: May 31, 2004 05:57PM
yeah, definatly. Brilliant games, and much more fun than normal arcade stuff like Need For Speed, but for simulation it doesnt come close

The sheer ammount of cars is what keeps me interested, and now, i can pick one of 600 cars and throw it round the Ring. Sounds good to me
Date: May 31, 2004 08:06PM
Posted by: Glyn
I think where GT scores points is not because its a sim (cos like Dave said, it isn't), but because the physics it does have are believeable. Like I said earlier, if you brake hard and steer slightly at the same time you can feel the rear breaking loose. The difference with a sim however is that the rear does brake loose and you are forced to do something about it, where in GT you don't.

Date: May 31, 2004 09:16PM
Yeah - maybe I meant its more of a sim....I dunno. But its just unbelieveable the way every car handles differently, and they drive as you'd expect them to, its awesome - I think its a much better game than any pc game bar UT2004 I've played, simply because 6 years on I'm still playing it :D

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: May 31, 2004 09:18PM
Posted by: Glyn
I guess it really depends what your after in a game. If I had a PS2 I'd buy it, like I'd buy Project Gotham if I had an XBOX, but on the PC I like a proper sim for serious racing. GP4 is there for my pick up and play needs if I fancy a blast.

Date: May 31, 2004 09:45PM
Yeah - maybe I meant its more of a sim....I dunno. But its just unbelieveable the way every car handles differently, and they drive as you'd expect them to, its awesome - I think its a much better game than any pc game bar UT2004 I've played, simply because 6 years on I'm still playing it :D

Well it is more of a sim, definatly. The only other console racers are stuff like Colin McCrash and TOCA Crap driver from the usuall arcade racing companies. GT4 is miles ahead of them. Its probably as realistic as you will get for a console, and i feel its limited by the console and would be more sim like on a PC.

Each car handeling different is easy on a console. Once you have the physics engine built you can just change the paramters depending on how you done it. The hard bit is getting all 600 decent accurate, but they still arent as accurate as you'd think. Audi TT for example is miles off. You can slide the TT in GT4, and doing that in real life results in the computer kicking in and controlling it, and then giving yyou no warning when you lose grip and wrap it round a tree

On the other hand, theres the Skylines which, in GT4 you can slide like mad and the computers collect it all up for you, whilst in real life you slide them and the computer helps keep the slide controlled (independant power to all 4 wheels), rather than correct it.

GT3 is very dumbed down, but its more of a case of limitations of the Consoles themselves rather than the developers not wanting to make it more sim like.

I think GT3/GT4 are the only games that really push the PS2 in every way possible. They clearly know something that others dont since the graphics are miles ahead of all other PS2 games, and its easily the most advanced physics engine on a console. ITs a case of "how much can the console take?" rather than "how sim like do we want to make this?"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2004 09:52PM by DaveEllis.
Date: May 31, 2004 10:01PM
Posted by: sasjag
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
They clearly
> know something that others dont since the graphics
> are miles ahead of all other PS2 games, and its
> easily the most advanced physics engine on a
> console.
>
>
>
> Edited 2 times. Last edit at 05/31/04 09:52PM by
> DaveEllis.

sony make teh PS2, sony make GTx (along with Polyphony Dgtal) coincidence?

i heard that atm they are teh only comany who know how to use teh second processor in teh PS2, but not to its max yet, so theers still more to come

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 01, 2004 12:05AM
There's a second proccessor?? You'd have thought they'd be using it already.... :|

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: June 01, 2004 01:38AM
Posted by: six degrees
soo... just to clarify... GT4: Prologue can be bought in the UK? Now?

And I don't have it in my ps2 because......? :D
Date: June 01, 2004 01:49AM
lol. GT4: Prologue was released on Friday.
Date: June 01, 2004 09:58AM
Posted by: markko
You can get Prologue yeah, 24.99 or somet in Game. Was right in front of me, but I am saving up for a new steering wheel instead. But the videos they were showing were really good. You can play GT4 Prologue instore anyway. Shame it wasnt turned on when I went in.
Date: June 01, 2004 10:12AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

why didnt you turn it on?

or

ASK?

i would have if it was off

Date: June 01, 2004 10:18AM
Posted by: markko
I was going to, but then Unreal Tournement 2004 caught my eye :(
Date: June 01, 2004 10:49AM
That's the best game I've played this year (UT2004) got it off ebay (dvd version) for £18 :D

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: June 01, 2004 01:29PM
You can get Prologue yeah, 24.99 or somet in Game.

Its £18 on play.com, and that includes delivery
Date: June 01, 2004 02:48PM
Posted by: JustinZiarko
my copy from play.com arrived this morning! :D arrived @ about 10:45, and came straight to this forum when my brain decided i should be doing something else. 3hrs sure goes fast
Date: June 02, 2004 07:32PM
Posted by: jpmfan
I got GP4 Prologue delivered yesterday. Im really enjoying it. Can someone help me with the Toyota Prius Hybrid test thing. I dont know what i should be aiming for at the end of the lap. like what the gauges are supposed to read. Please can someone help me?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy