Guitars

Posted by sasjag 
Guitars
Date: December 24, 2003 12:31PM
Posted by: sasjag
Okay, so i finally persuaded my parents to let me get a guitar, but i have no idea where to start, so i need some help form some of u guys who already have one

any recommendations on what to buy to get started with etc?

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Re: Guitars
Date: December 24, 2003 12:42PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
acoustic or electronic?

I assume electronic, so i cannot help.

Date: December 24, 2003 12:47PM
Posted by: Vader
Gibson Les Paul. :) - The one Avril plays :)

If you can't afford the real thing, buy a clone by Epiphone. They are much cheaper and still offer good quality. Epiphone builds their stuff under license by Gibson.

I also like Fernandes guitars as well.

You will also need a good amp. The choice of your amp is pretty much down to your own taste and the kind of music you wnat to make. I personally like Hughes & Kettner amps. Mesa-Boogies rule as well. I don't like Marshalls that much, others will tell you Marshalls are the best.

Maybe it's a good idea to start with an accoustic guitar. You need no additional equipment (amps, cables, etc.). So you can find out if you really can play before spending lots of cash for nothing.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 24, 2003 12:49PM
"Maybe it's a good idea to start with an accoustic guitar. You need no additional equipment (amps, cables, etc.). So you can find out if you really can play before spending lots of cash for nothing."

yeah thats what i was pretty much thinkng of doing

Sim

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: December 24, 2003 12:52PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
thats what i did.

I found a second hand guitar for a £5 somewhere (don't come by deals like that everyday)

Now I just need to get the electric guitar (I currently have a £200-odd acoustic guitar)

Date: December 24, 2003 01:03PM
yeah i plan on eventually getting an eletric guitar :P

any tips on how to learn? like lessons, vids books or anything?

Sim

Date: December 24, 2003 01:17PM
Posted by: Zcott
Find a teacher! You'd be surprised how many people play guitar and are looking for money. Students usually have decent taste in music, no money, but some guitar talent, so it's best to do that.

Date: December 24, 2003 01:19PM
Posted by: Glyn
Get a sandwich box and attach some rubber bands :)

Date: December 24, 2003 03:39PM
Posted by: fongu
i taught myself by lookin at tabs and chordbooks. Theres some cool tab sites around like olga.net. Get a cheapish acoustic to start out with. Then i got a fairly cheap les paul, then a krafter electro-acoustic. You need lots of patience and practise, but its worth it in the end :)

Date: December 24, 2003 03:44PM
after a chat with Vader, i've decided to get this one:

[www.argos.co.uk]

its cheep, he says it'll stand me in good sted, comes with a tuition video, and i get my 10% discount on it, so i can get it next week:P

Sim

Date: December 24, 2003 03:49PM
Posted by: fongu
hehe thats much like my first guitar, also from argos!!

Date: December 24, 2003 04:17PM
I learned to play chords and basic pickings from a teacher. I then developed a kind of hybris that told me I could teach myself the rest alone without help from others. That might explain why I still suck, but anyway - as long as you hold a guitar in your hands the girls will love you.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 24, 2003 04:27PM
Posted by: matthewp
hmm I also got a guitar very similar to that for my first (and it was from Argos :) ) trouble is it is a classical guitar, I won't go into what the differences between this and a 'normal' acoustic are but it basically boils down to classicals are much more difficult to play (fingerboard is bigger, bends are harder etc...) and they are meant for fingerpicking and not strumming, and I think you'll be more interested in strumming chords than fingerpicking spanish music :)

If you can afford it it really is worth it to go a little more upmarket, and I wouldn't get it from Argos, they'll just get them from the warehouse and will have pretty much zero quality control, I got my guitar from www.regentguitars.co.uk they really do only sell good guitars and they set them up before dispatching them (meaning it'll sound better and be easier to play :) )

You could get this guitar (tanglewood TW28) for £129 now that is quite a lot more but you really do get what you pay for and I think its worth it, it really is an excellent guitar for the price, and if you've got a nice guitar you're more likely to stick at it through the first through months (which is when most people give up because its hard :) )

But whatever you get I really recomend you get a steel strung guitar instead of a classical.
Also get an electronic tuner as it'll take a while to develop you're ear and until then you'll need to make sure you're playing in tune.

As far as lessons, this website is brilliant it'll teach you everything you need to know (well at least everything you'll need for a long time :) )
Just remember to take it slowly and don't get frustrated, everyone struggles at first

[www.zentao.com] bookmark it now!

Date: December 24, 2003 04:37PM
fingerboard is bigger, bends are harder etc...)

That's exactly what I told Sim on MSN. It's easier to learn, since you have more space for your fingers, but is actually is harder to change to electrical guitars because the neck is much thinner and smaller there.

Nevertheless, I started to mlay on a classical nylon string guitar, too.

Post Edited (12-25-03 00:08)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 24, 2003 04:38PM
cheers guys, i'll have to think about this :P

Sim

Date: December 24, 2003 04:40PM
Posted by: metal-mike
You can also get electric guitar box sets, for pretty cheap. You get a cheap, basic electric guitar, small amp, strings, leads, book etc. for 100 quid. Not bad, especially if after a couple of months you decide you can't be bothered!

Personally I got 3 guitars Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez DTX120 Destroyer, and a homebuilt electric one.

mikehoyer80@hotmail.com
Date: December 24, 2003 04:53PM
Nevertheless, I started to mlay on a classical nylon string guitar, too.

so did I, when I go back to playing my first guitar now it makes me laugh because the strings are about half an inch off the board! (they should be about 3mm :) ) thanks to Argos not setting them up

Date: December 25, 2003 05:23AM
Posted by: Ellis
My G'f has got an electric guitar, but no amp. Will dig it out the mess and take a photo for you guys to see how good it is cos i have nfi

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: December 25, 2003 10:41AM
lol:P

well, i'm thinking of getting one off that site matt shown us, £120

Sim

Date: December 25, 2003 01:15PM
which one sim? if its electric the Cort G250 is pretty much the best beginners guitar I can think of (but at £230 it may be little out of you're range) a lot of people won't have heard of Cort but all their guitars i've tried are brilliant (they are quite a new brand but have made guitars for Fender, Gibson & Ibanez in the past) i've got an M600 and it is the most gorgeous guitar i've ever seen :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy