RAID & playing games

Posted by renyf1 
RAID & playing games
Date: April 24, 2003 11:47AM
Posted by: renyf1
Hi,

I recently was gifted a VIA KT333 chipset motherboard by Asus that supports RAID

thinking of making that my primary PC and giving my current one to my dad or other family member

my question is should i set it up using RAID or leave it as 4 IDE connectors giving my 2 HDs, DVD player, and CDR their own link and not share it

don't worry i have 2 80GB WD 8MB HDs

if someone does recommend that i use the RAID feature which way do i set i up? i value performance more than the redunancy of RAID

any comments before i take matters into my own hands and not have anyone else to blame for future problems? :-)

Ren
Re: RAID & playing games
Date: April 24, 2003 12:26PM
Posted by: Glyn
I think RAID 2 is the best for home use. If my memory serves me correctly this is the one that splits files across many disks and therefore gives quicker access. That is though, only when you want many files at once.

Date: April 24, 2003 03:27PM
thanks Glyn....I was going to go with RAID 2 but wondered if anyone has any idea how big/small to set the stripe
Date: April 24, 2003 05:29PM
Posted by: bazza
Are both hard discs identical?

AFAIK they need to be

Date: April 24, 2003 06:12PM
yep both are HD are the same, 80GB Western Digital "Special" aka 8MB cache

so my thinking since i have 4 IDE connectors

1 - raid HD 1
2 - raid HD 2
3 - DVD & CDR
4 - 120 or 180 GB for general storage
Date: April 24, 2003 06:35PM
Posted by: tux
that sounds right.

have you got enought HD space there? :P (and heres me thinking that 120gb is enough for a pc (not enough for my laptop tho :P :P))

Date: April 24, 2003 06:49PM
Posted by: bazza
Haha, I have about a total of 25Gig

Date: April 25, 2003 12:21PM
Posted by: Glyn
Ive got a 120Gb drive, and a 20Gb drive and they are both full :(

More is never enough

Date: April 25, 2003 07:16PM
Posted by: gav
RAID 0 (zero) is actually the performace one.

RAID 1 is to back data from one disk directly to another, and others are a combination of the above, other than JDOB, which is literally Just a Bunch Of Disks.

With that motherboard (I used to have one), you can connect the 2 HDDs to the RAID controller (use 2 seperate IDE cables) and connect you other devices (CD, DVD, etc) to the usual, regular IDE connectors.

Just for comparisons sake, I have a RAID 0 setup, with 2x 40GB WD 8mb drives, and 1 regular 100gb WD 8mb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy