new sound card

Posted by matthewp 
new sound card
Date: December 09, 2002 08:46AM
Posted by: matthewp
my crappy integrated sound system keeps cutting out in games in Win98SE whatever driver I try so i've decided to buy a sound card.
I don't need EAX or any of the fancy stuff just a budget sound card that will do the job - any recomendations?

Re: new sound card
Date: December 09, 2002 10:18AM
Posted by: Zcott
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1.

Good card, can't go wrong with it. It's cheap-ish if you pick up one second hand, and it does support EAX anyway.

Date: December 09, 2002 12:21PM
Posted by: Glyn
Thats the card ive got too. An excellent bit of engineering :D

Date: December 09, 2002 12:57PM
Posted by: simonsteele
@!#$ know's what sound card i have.

i might upgrade it soon

Date: December 10, 2002 03:25AM
Posted by: Ellis
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1.

NO!!!!!!! DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! ESPECIALLY NOT THE CREATIVE LABS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That card is a @#$%& mess! Its cheap crap! It makes crackeling noises in two different PCs, and hundreads of thousands of people world wide have complained about it. Yet SB Claim the problem does not exsist! You cant belive the arguments i have had with there PATHETIC customer serivces people over this! Customer services shout at you and treat you like an idiot, yet at the same times thousands more people are complaining bout the same problem under different OS with different drivers, with compleatly different PCs!

stay away from that card

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: December 10, 2002 12:29PM
Posted by: Glyn
It makes crackeling noises in two different PCs, and hundreads of thousands of people world wide have complained about it.

I, and three of my mates must be the lucky few then

Date: December 10, 2002 03:04PM
Posted by: Zcott
I didn't have -any- trouble with my Creative SB Live 5.1 card - worked fine, EAX was good, no crackling, and the only problem I had was when I used the latest SB drivers.

Date: December 10, 2002 03:11PM
Posted by: Vader
Same here. Works fine, sounds good.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 10, 2002 03:41PM
Posted by: Roly
Sound Blaster Live 5.1--works great,no problems here either.
Date: December 11, 2002 01:57AM
grrrrrr!!! I still have that card, and im sick of it! Im going to bin it! Im using my onboard card now because the SB pish is annoying me. I took it into a local comp store and they plugged it into two machines and it had same result - crackeling noises, especially when noises like engine notes are played for along time

they then took a brand new one out of the box, and it had same result

Creative Labs SB 5.1 Live is biggest pile of @!#$ ever, and dont get me started on the arogent excuse for customer services!

I don't need EAX or any of the fancy stuff just a budget sound card that will do the job - any recomendations?

if ur looking for something simple, withoiut EAX and crap, then i dont recommend this card. I also arent too bothered about sound - as long as it plays WITHOUT CRACKELING!!!!! I dont like EAX and stuff

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: December 11, 2002 03:49AM
quick search on google showed these results

( [computers.cnet.com] )

"snap crackle pop" poltorm on 29-May-2002 02:52:14 am
...when playing games, and when recording audio. There are a lot of things that can be done to troubleshoot, but it's kinda hard to realise you've spent a couple of weeks sweating & swearing and then you realise the card simply doesn't like the motherboard and there's nothing you can do about it (i've had the card for half a year now, that's how long it took me to find out). Will PC World give me my money back? I doubt it. Ripped again :-D

"crackling IS bad =" Anonymous on 17-May-2002 11:02:17 pm
OK.. lets backup to when i first got the card.. it ran PERFECT on a celeron 333, then i trashed the 333 and got a duron750 (oc to 900) 383mb ram, i kept the card and w/ the duron it pops and crackles ect. all the time. especially when sound first starts playing. if you have intel, i highly recomend the card, but AMD is better and im not giving up my AMD for a sblive

"Crackling is BAD" Anonymous on 20-Sep-2001 10:02:17 am
What, did Creative get all their support people to put in reviews? This card has had nothing but problems with most of the community, especially people with athlons and VIA chipset motherboards. Crackling, popping, and data loss are some of the things you get with an SB LIVE card.. Go with Turtle Beach..from what I hear, it does not try to hog the PCI bus like the SBLIVE does..

[alive.singnet.com.sg]

I'm having problems with Sound Blaster Live.
My Specs:
MB: Abit KT7-133 Raid
Mem: 256K
Vid: All-In-Wonder Radeon
HD: 2 X 20Gig IBM Deskstar

My problem is when I listen to MP3 or wave files as well as play DVD the SB Live sounds like the the Reverb and the Chorus is on full blast making it so distorted that it really bad!

I've updated the All-in-wonder, sound blaster live, and directX drivers as well as removed the 16bit emulation in the computers property. I've also moved the card to the 5th pci slot.

What else should I do?

Help!!!!
SBLive sounds like garbage!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

the search brought back thousands of more results that i really cant be arsed copy and pasting into here

Date: December 11, 2002 03:51AM
and of course when u ask Creative about this u get a response that sounds like it was written by a 12 year old, the language is so bad and quite abusive at times.

Creative deny the problem exists. Obviously they havent gotten off there fat lazy worthless corporate ass's to test the card properly

Date: December 11, 2002 03:53AM
Posted by: mortal
Hey Dave, the crackling is the best part of the pork roast ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: December 11, 2002 07:45AM
Posted by: Vader
Put log on the barbie??

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy