New Moon Found Around Earth

Posted by Glyn 
New Moon Found Around Earth
Date: September 13, 2002 11:58AM
Posted by: Glyn
Check this out, taken from the BBC website:

An amateur astronomer may have found another moon of the Earth. Experts say it may have only just arrived.
Much uncertainty surrounds the mysterious object, designated J002E3. It could be a passing chunk of rock captured by the Earth's gravity, or it could be a discarded rocket casing coming back to our region of space.

It was discovered by Bill Yeung, from his observatory in Arizona, US, and reported as a passing Near-Earth Object.

It was soon realised, however, that far from passing us, it was in fact in a 50-day orbit around the Earth.

Paul Chodas, of the American space agency's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, says it must have just arrived or it would have been easily detected long ago.

Calculations suggest it may have been captured earlier this year.

Moon or junk?

When he detected the object, Bill Yeung contacted the Minor Planet Center in Massachusetts, the clearing house for such discoveries, which gave it the designation J002E3 and posted it on their Near-Earth Object Confirmation webpage.

Soon, however, the object's motion suggested it was in an orbit around the Earth. Its movements had all the hallmarks of being a spent rocket casing or other piece of space junk.

But experts are not completely sure what exactly the object is.

Observations made by Tony Beresford in Australia indicate that the object's position does not match any known piece of space junk.

Observations made in Europe have failed to see any variations in brightness that might be expected from a slowly spinning metallic object.

Paul Chodas says the object must have arrived quite recently or else it would have been easily detected by any of several automated sky surveys that astronomers are conducting.

Its trajectory suggests that it may have been captured in April or May of this year, but there is still some uncertainty about this.

If it is determined that J002E3 is natural it will become Earth's third natural satellite.

Earth's second one is called Cruithne. It was discovered in 1986 and it takes a convoluted horseshoe path around our planet as it is tossed about by the Earth's and the Moon's gravity.

We all know what the 1st moon is made out of, but I wonder what this one will be made out of? Pizza?

Re: New Moon Found Around Earth
Date: September 13, 2002 12:07PM
Posted by: Zcott
No arguments please, this moon IS made of cheese.
Date: September 13, 2002 12:13PM
Posted by: Glyn
I came to that conclusion when we had the solar eclipse in england

Date: September 13, 2002 12:41PM
Posted by: Lilletto
It's DC's McLaren. Borg last try was particuraly successful.

Date: September 13, 2002 12:44PM
Posted by: tux
hmm,

what cheese is this made out of?

Date: September 13, 2002 12:53PM
Posted by: LS.
i can confirm that this new discovered moon is formed from potted meat,

i have an official source, it was barry down at my local boozer who used to work for nasa but now works at poundstretcher

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: September 13, 2002 12:53PM
Posted by: Spike02
LIMBURGER!!!!

Date: September 13, 2002 12:55PM
potted meat?

Date: September 13, 2002 12:59PM
potted meat?

its a rather disgusting meat paste that you often get at wedding receptions, normally situated next to the pineapple & cheese cubes on a cocktail stick.

if you would like to see what potted meat looks like, get a telescope and look at the small moon next to the big cheesy one

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 13, 2002 01:02PM
mmmmmmmm potted meat

now who would'nt want a snack that consisted of the following.............Beef tripe, chicken, beef hearts, partially defatted beef fatty tissue, meat broth, vinegar, salt, flavoring, sugar, sodium nitrate

yum yum

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 13, 2002 01:07PM
Date: September 15, 2002 04:04AM
Posted by: BorgDroneX
Hmmmmmm it is no Moon but only Space Junk!!!!
NASA are saying its a 3rd stage from its old Saturn V rocket that launched in 1969 and its prolly gonna crash into the moon next year!!!!!

RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE
Date: September 15, 2002 04:14AM
Posted by: mortal
It's spam, that's what it is, it's a case of spam ;-)
Date: September 15, 2002 04:46AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I agree with mortal. Its Spam (Spam, spam, beautiful spam). NASA are trying to cover it up, but luckily some people are too sharp to be fooled.....but I've yet to meet (meat?) one.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy