Racing with a front wheel drive

Posted by flat tyre 
Racing with a front wheel drive
Date: August 02, 2013 09:51PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I've bought a 3D games developing programme recently, and of course the first thing I'm making is a race sim (based on the BTCC). But, me being me, I've come across a problem already.

I have no experience whatsoever of driving a front wheel drive car at speed, in real life or on a sim. I've googled it, but most of the answers seem to be quite vague.

The problem is, I don't know if my car is handling realistically, or whether it's gone seriously wrong!

At the minute, the car understeers like mad if I corner with 0% throttle - if I approach a hairpin at 40mph, and try to corner without any throttle, then I will understeer off the road. Every time. However, if I approach a hairpin at 40mph, and accelerate as I go through it to about 60mph, then I will make the corner. As soon as I touch the accelerator, the car decides it wants to turn.

Having only raced rear wheel drives, this is proving a bit of a headache for me! So, this is where you come in - is this how a FWD behaves, or does it sound a bit wrong?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Re: Racing with a front wheel drive
Date: August 02, 2013 11:47PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
I'm used to racing FWD cars (in sim-racing) and this is what I can say...

Generally the car understeers when you put the power down (torque-steer) and has a lot of lift-off oversteer. It's a lot about using the throttle to control the balance of the car.

If you have rFactor or any of the RACE games, you can get a good idea of this. If not, download the demo of Live for Speed - that includes a FWD car ;)

I wish you good luck in your quest! :)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: August 03, 2013 12:42AM
Posted by: ipswich2007
Ye from every racing game I've ever played (with semi-realistic properties) fwd should understeer when throttle is applied. Cos the wheels are coping with the weight transfer, steering and power.

Off throttle they don't really have understeer cos the throttle's not being applied.

Sources - never driven a fwd racer for real, but all games i've played and reviewing footage of races with cars with front wheel drive.

Date: August 03, 2013 01:45PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Definately understeer. I didnt realise how big the effect would be until I took my car around Silverstone! On the road you wouldnt really notice, but on tracks yes!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy