Date: October 25, 2012 09:40PM
Posted by: madotter

Get it from Midnight for just £24.99

Clicky

Bargain :)
Re: Windows 8 Pro for £24.99
Date: October 26, 2012 01:05AM
Posted by: Vader
Since when y'all have to pay for a virus?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 26, 2012 03:44AM
Well I'm enjoying it as we speak! Huge step from the release preview I was running a couple of hours ago.
Date: October 26, 2012 01:07PM
Posted by: senninho
I haven't been blown away by the consumer preview, but it isn't bad - this price really does tip the balance, though.

Date: October 27, 2012 11:42AM
Posted by: mika19b
Will probably purchase a couple of licences soon but I shall wait until the first service pack to install.

Been running the 8400 public build on an old laptop, using Start8 to bring back the start menu. I just hate them tiles on a PC, fine for a tablet.

Windows 7 is so stable and quick on my gaming pc I just dont see the need to change yet. :)
Date: October 27, 2012 06:54PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Yeah, I'd actually quite like to play the games I own so I'll stick with W7...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: October 27, 2012 07:36PM
Posted by: gav
You do realise that Steam works perfectly well on Windows 8, right? GfW, or whatever it's called at this particular minute, apparently has a few issues for some (seems to work fine for the majority), but they'll be ironed out sharpish.

Personally I don't know. I tried out the previews on laptops, just testing a few things, and I guess I could happily use it, Metro included... but it doesn't do anything better for me - nothing in it is going to save me time, make things easier or improve what I do, so I currently can't see a single reason for installing it, even at the current price. I might make a backup, install it and give it a proper go for a few days, but I can't see me going ahead and buying a license - unless it's improved massively from the previews, I'll just end up restoring the backup.

I could see the benefit of the change to the ribbon in Office, and now most of the other desktop applications in Windows, and whatever you feel about the change, it is more logical. But I can see a whole world of issues coming up for the technically challenged with Win 8 - it's all swipes and invisible magic pixels (and even then they've been inconsistent in the previews). The majority aren't going to have a clue. Try installing this for someone and not telling them how to do things, such as how to shut down Windows... they're going to go ape @#$%&. It should be brilliant for tablets, but so far the tablets are costing far too much.

I'm much more interested in the effect Windows 8 will have on Windows Phone 8, namely what should be a huge surge in apps. WP8 is starting to look very inviting.
Date: October 28, 2012 12:57PM
Got a Nokia Lumia 920 on preorder :)
Date: October 28, 2012 08:43PM
Posted by: IWE
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, I'd actually quite like to play the games I
> own so I'll stick with W7...

Haven't seen any game till now which works in w7 but refuses to work in w8.

Oh and w8 works a lot quicker than w7 but you can sure do things in your own way.. ;-)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 08:45PM by IWE.
Date: October 29, 2012 01:25PM
Posted by: senninho
I installed it on my mum's really old laptop yesterday - vista, with a 1.63ghz Core Duo and 2gb RAM - it was like having a new laptop. I don't know how they've done it, but it runs nearly as fast as 7 runs on my computer, which is much newer. It used to take literally 5 minutes to boot up and log in, and now it's like a third of that.

Plus - and this is a good sign for Microsoft - my luddite mother seemed to get the hang of the new interface very quickly, even though she had a little trouble getting to the charms bar.

I'm rather impressed now, having been a little underwhelmed by the consumer preview. I'll be downloading it on payday.

Date: October 30, 2012 12:41AM
Posted by: n00binio
i'm downloading it via microsoft dreamspark right now, i think i'll just try to run it in a virtual machine first and see what it's like.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: October 31, 2012 11:42PM
Posted by: Monza972
If you anyone of guys do decide to go for it, W8 Pro doesn't include Media Center so get a free licence of it from Microsoft here. :)

[windows.microsoft.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy