USB device through HDMI port

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
USB device through HDMI port
Date: August 03, 2012 02:35PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
Hi guys, had a sheepishly short google/look on ebay but figured I'll just ask here-

I have an LG plasma tv which doesn't have a USB slot to conveniently just plug in a flashdrive with various * acquired* episodes of whatever tv show i'm currently watching, and have always just used my ps3 to watch them instead. However, the ps3 is on the brink and despite fixing it stopgap a couple of times, it's totally done, and now I have no way of watching various avi's or mp4's on the tv. Is there a device that plugs into the HDMI slot of my tv, and has a female USB receptor on the other end of it? I've never seen one but I can't imagine why it wouldn't exist, per se.....
Re: USB device through HDMI port
Date: August 03, 2012 03:11PM
Posted by: gav
It's called a laptop, isn't it? ;)

I guess there are a few options. If you wanted to serve content straight from your PC you could use a media extender of some description (uses your network, so wireless or CAT5 cable), but I guess that would be the most expensive option. It is the most flexible though.

I guess what you're after is something like this. I've no experience of such a device, and it's a niche-enough of a product that I doubt you'll not find a major manufacturer, so you'll have to rely on user reviews I guess. I'll not look for an Aussie version, as you may have completely different options, but that seems to do everything you'd want in the UK. A simple search for "USB" and "HDMI" brought up that sort of device.
Date: August 03, 2012 04:14PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
Thanks mate. Laptop's an option but it's always a nuisance lugging the whole thing to be near the tv and finding power etc; i had ideations of keeping the current status quo of having the only thing that needs to come in and out of my lounge room being the flash drive with the shows on it....I guess what you showed me is about right, as you say it's so niche I'm not really sure what I want ;-)
Date: August 03, 2012 10:11PM
Posted by: Gigi4
Probably something like this is the only way, USB and HDMI completely different ports so a straight USB to HDMI is impossible to do.

Edit: looks like some Nokia smartphone will play HD video using this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 10:14PM by Gigi4.
Date: August 04, 2012 02:59AM
Posted by: mortal
I use an android pc tablet.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy