Karting in the wet at Teesside Autodrome

Posted by gav 
Karting in the wet at Teesside Autodrome
Date: April 30, 2012 05:50PM
Posted by: gav
A few of us went karting at Teesside Autodrome yesterday. Like much of the country, it was rather wet, with standing water all over the place.

I've got myself a GoPro Hero HD camera, luckily waterproof, and stuck it on the helmet.

I've posted a brief race review on the Vader Trophy forums, so I'll quote that here too.

The videos are full 720p if you watch them on Youtube.

'Highlights' of the race, both full speed and in slow motion (keep in mind I was leading when I made the last mistake)

A full lap of the International layout of the track in qualifying:

Gav
It was great fun. Despite a heck of a lot of standing water and the slick tyres, there was far more grip than when we race Sunderland in the wet. The fronts turn in much better, the throttle is more responsive and easier to slide, and in the banked corner you could just maintain a constant drift through the 2nd part of it. Clearly, as seen on the videos above, it's still very easy to over do it!

It was hard to feel the hands. The forecast said it was 6c 'feeling like 0c' and heavy rain had been falling since about 11am through to when we finished at 5pm. After the briefing, when the guy said that one guy had to have his hands prised away from the wheel due to the cold in the previous race, and that he, a 35 yr old man, had been crying... it wasn't the best motivation. Needless to say most of us quickly went to get a 2nd pair of gloves. All it meant was that it took about a minute longer for the water to soak through!

They provided wetsuits, but as you can see from the videos, there's so much standing water that it was always going to make its way under the suit at some point (keep in mind that those videos are primarily during qualifying, and as the camera fogged up through the race, it's hard to show you just how much more water there was torwards the end of the race). Every part of my clothing was soaked through afterwards. I didn't realise just how wet I was until we stopped.

It was so hard to see at times. Sometimes due to spray, sometimes due to extra heavy rain. You can't make it out on the videos above (it's a small lens and it had Rain-X applied, so the water just runs straight off). With the visor open slightly, every time you went through standing water, it just shot straight up into the helmet. My face was caked with mud after my 2 off-track exertions.

Practice was OK. I didn't feel I had done particularly well - my faster laps were spoiled by others, and I think I went off on the few clear laps. I did get one clear lap, but was surprised to have started 2nd (29 raced).

I took the lead at the start and tried had built up a nice buffer of perhaps 5 seconds already in the opening two laps. Entering turn 1, which wasn't quite flat in the wet, you can see above what happened. I carried too much speed, the fronts didn't grip, I tried to kick the back out on the throttle to help steer the car, but there was too much speed for the wheels to spin. I lost 35 seconds pushing the car out off the grass, so to finish just 9 seconds behind Graham, who said he hadn't been off the track, wasn't bad!

It was fun to cut through the field afterwards. The only other action was a guy spinning just in front of me, and me coming together with him. No damage done.

The car ride home was painful, with every single piece of clothing saturated, and until we got into the cars and the heaters had started working, we were all shivering badly, but give me another kart and I'd do it all again! Bring on Knockhill!
Nice post! :)
I compete in their SG Petch Abarth Open Championship :)
Teesside is a fantastic circuit, especially in the wet.
I loved going round the international configuration, sliding it round that quick left hander right at the start of the lap. We raced with the first chicane in though, so by the time we got to it we were still in a traction zone, meaning I could go round it drifting with loads of opposite lock.
What fun! ;)
Re: Karting in the wet at Teesside Autodrome
Date: May 02, 2012 11:19PM
Posted by: EC83
Quality post. Looks like you had an awesome day, even if you probably needed a shower afterwards! Rally-karting FTW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 11:19PM by EC83.
Date: May 03, 2012 04:02AM
Posted by: Slash
Awesome. this made me remind me of my first Kart experience under wet conditions.

it wasn't a pro race, a few were more than just regulars though.., wearing their customs helmets and suits while me and my friends were just wearing white helmets from the track lol.

it was like a 15 drivers race, it started dry and then it started to rain, not as bad as in your videos, but enough to get the track wet, and for some reason i was the only one to notice with the slick tyres there is no grip where the rubber is (racing line) and i easily worked my way through the win . ;)

the race was sponsored by a matresses co. so i won one LMAO... but yeah we just do it for the sake of it, a go kart is always an exciting experience.

and wow, just like you mentioned gav, it isn't until you get out of the car that you see how much dirt and water you have on you.
Date: May 03, 2012 11:52AM
Posted by: chet
Nice post and video!! Looked amazing fun, and clearly you have a knack for it ;-)!

Whenever i've been karting with mates and its rained we've been offered a full refund on the basis that it's too dangerous :(.

Also, a shout out to the quality of the video capture, that's pretty amazing!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 03, 2012 01:07PM
Yeah, just a shame the camera was pointing down a bit too much. Still, it better showed how much water was being kicked up, even by the slicks, so it wasn't too bad. :)

I called the track up on Sunday morning, knowing how much rain was forecast before we went on track and the fact that some of us were driving down from the Scottish border. The answer was "well, it's dry now and unless there's standing water, it won't be a problem". I don't want to know what standing water is in Middlesbrough if that isn't! Keep in mind those videos are from qualifying and the early part of the race. It got much, much wetter as the race went on.

Still, I was staggered at how much grip they had on the slicks, even through the rivers. The only place it really aquaplaned was in those esses, in the final bit. At Sunderland's Warden Law track, the karts just plough straight on in the wet, understeering until they get to that outside line you're looking for in the wet.
Date: May 03, 2012 01:11PM
Posted by: mortal
You did well, great videos. Thanks. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 05, 2012 02:06AM
Posted by: flat tyre
Very nice post as the others said :) do you think you'll do any more? Watching the first video, the last 'lowlight' I thought for half a second you might have flipped the thing :o

And did they let you put the gopro on one of their helmets, or did you have to use your own? We've got one, aswell, I've been meaning to film a lap around Rye House when I go there next, but I haven't been able to go for over a year because of a back and rib problem :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: May 05, 2012 08:45AM
Nah, I've got my own helmet as I used to have a bike, though I'm sure they'd have let me put one on theirs using the suction cup (it really is powerful providing it's a clean surface), but I used one of the adhesive pads on my helmet.

I'll take it along every time I go karting - the next one is likely to be in August, at our annual Knockhill meet. It'll get plenty of use at school too. I can imagine the kids can come up with some fun projects for it. :)
Date: May 06, 2012 01:11AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Surprised they let you get out your kart like that and push yourself off. Warden Law would have had your life!
Date: May 06, 2012 10:30AM
Yeah, neither Dunston nor Warden Law let you do that, but Teesside seem much more relaxed than either generally. They don't show you the usual monotonous video, but instead give you a proper briefing, including tips for the conditions on the day, which is nice if you've never been in a kart before. They just seem much more personal.

They say if you do have to push yourself off the grass (they clearly expected it in those conditions!) to make sure you've got the kart between you and the track... I can tell you when you've just blown the lead in such a manner, that doesn't enter you head! I can also add that old Converse on wet grass makes for an interesting experience - you can see me slip over briefly.

Added to that, the karts are fantastic. Twin engined and they all seem very consistent compared to each other, they're reliable (you'd have expected a few karts to be cutting out with that much water) and they're bloody fast compared to your usual hire-kart. I remember the first time I went to Warden Law, my brakes disappeared during the race, so you just had to sort of flick it into the hairpin and wash off the speed by going sideways... which was fun, but not especially fast! I know with the gas-powered karts they improved them, but Teesside's karts are still far better.

I'm not a huge fan of the circuit layout though. The slightly banked corner is fantastic, and the whole track is brilliant in the wet, but in the dry it's a bit of a driver breaker, even in the hire karts. Last time I was there we did the National layout, and it's non-stop. All the corners are high speed, only lifting twice a lap. There are a couple of corners at Warden Law which push you - namely the never-ending 2nd last corner, which I love, but there's more time to breath than at Teesside. Teesside's layout certainly isn't bad, and it's good that it's physically demanding, but I think I prefer the more flowing nature of Warden Law. Teeside's certainly worth a shot though - my cousin prefers it, and like I say, it's a better experience overall... it's just a shame it's further from us than Warden Law.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2012 10:32AM by gav.
Date: May 06, 2012 11:46AM
What's the cost like compared to Warden Law?
Date: May 06, 2012 03:24PM
Last time I went to Warden Law it cost us £45 I think. For a 20min qual and 40min race it was £50 at Teesside.
Date: May 06, 2012 04:27PM
That works out cheaper! I've already created an event for some of my dudes on FB. Hopefully I can organise it for June or something.

Where did you get that camera from? If it's not too pricey I think I'll be investing!
Date: May 06, 2012 04:34PM
Amazon for £153. Seems it's only available from a 3rd party now though: GoPro HD Motorsports HERO
Date: June 05, 2012 08:47PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Good stuff Gav. I remember going to teeside as part of BUKC a few years back, was good fun there!

Date: October 29, 2012 11:25PM
Posted by: J i m
A clip of mine from Daytona MK, I didn't quite stretch to a GP-Pro Hero though :P

[youtu.be]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy