GP4 wont run...

Posted by feisar 
GP4 wont run...
Date: March 18, 2003 09:02PM
Posted by: feisar
I recently bought a copy of GP4. but it wont run(whats the go with that?) anyways my problem is the safe disc thingy comes up, gets past that then im confronted with a black screen (i can see the curser) after a few secs of the black screen i return to the desktop as if the program was never running in the first place.

my system specs are

athlon 1800+
epox 8kha+ mobo (via 266a)
256mb pc2700
64mb power vr kyro II??

any suggestions?????????????
Re: GP4 wont run...
Date: March 18, 2003 10:17PM
Posted by: Morbid
It is a bug in the copy protection. It is fixed in the 9.6 patch available at this site, or the official homepage (download link is in the first popup).

Post Edited (03-19-03 05:18)

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: March 19, 2003 06:36AM
nope didnt fix it... any other suggestions?
Date: March 19, 2003 06:48AM
Posted by: Ellis
did it ever run?

If so, delete the savegame state from the GP4 folder

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 19, 2003 08:51AM
Do you have a thrustmaster controller. And if yes, do you run the thrustmaster controller software?

Date: March 19, 2003 03:02PM
MORBID : nope no thrustmaster either;

ELLIS: no it has never run, i tried reinstalling gp4, patching it and even disabling all the programs in compmanager (to see if there was a clash) but still no help.
Date: March 20, 2003 04:58PM
What is your OS and DirectX version?

Date: March 20, 2003 10:50PM
dirextx 8.1 running on winxp
Date: March 20, 2003 11:43PM
Posted by: ferrariace
Download the 1.02 decrypted exe then it will run.How well it will runs is any ones guess.
Date: March 23, 2003 02:54PM
nope still a no go... any other ideas???
Date: March 23, 2003 10:16PM
Posted by: ferrariace
If you haven't already try updating the video card drivers and also try running the game in compatibility mode.
Date: March 24, 2003 06:29AM
done and done, still not a goer, im so pissed off, there goes 80 bucks.
Date: March 24, 2003 06:34AM
Posted by: Timm
It's not to do with the fact he has a KYRO II is it?

I know these cards had problems with GP3 due to the Tile Based Rendering but I thought it was compatible with GP4 as GP4 is fully 3D?

Or is it?

Date: March 24, 2003 07:44AM
From the readme.txt on the CD:

1. Video cards successfully tested on & supported

3Dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP
3Dfx Voodoo3 3500 AGP
3Dfx Voodoo3 3000 PCI
3Dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI
3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP
ATI Rage 128
ATI Rage Pro AGP 2x (Software)
ATI Rage Fury
Kyro 2
NVidia GeForce256
NVidia GeForce256 DDR
NVidia GeForce 2
NVidia GeForce 3
NVidia Riva TNT2 & Ultra
NVidia Riva TNT2 M64
Matrox Millenium G200
Matrox Millenium G400 Dualhead
Matrox Millenium G400 MAX
Matrox Millenium G550
Radeon 256
Radeon 7500
Radeon 8500
S3 Savage 4
Savage 3D

So the Kyro 2 is not the problem. Perhaps it is with XP?

There was an update to XP that fixed several game related bugs (among other things). However, this update reinstates the security serial check and terminator technology, so many people that have less than clean serial numbers don't bother with this patch. I can't say that I blame them. Who wants to wake up to an XP that doesn't want you to boot, and recommends that you phone MS HQ for a new license agreement (and serial number)?

Anyways, feisar if you don't have this patch installed, and you have no reason to doubt the validity of your XP version, I suggest that you get the update from the MS homepage. If you do have doubts about the validity of your XP version, that can be solved as well. But I don't want to post here about how to do that. Forum policy on warez, if you catch my drift.

If none of this helps, please continue feeding us information. We might still be able to get you going. Perhaps it would be useful to hear which soundcard you have...

Date: March 26, 2003 02:42AM
morbid thanks for your reply, please email me on how to update my windows as i believe i have problems with my cd key. and if i update i cant risk loosing windows. thanks feisar

simmo84@iprimus.com.au
Date: March 26, 2003 03:20AM
Posted by: Colin
Hi,Welcome to the Club,I too bought GP4 and if you look back at all my postings on this and other Forums - I just did not get it to work!
I am a seasoned and avid Microprose Gp fan since the early days of Gp1 right through to Gp4 and accomplished in changing/painting cars,tracks utilities etc.
The bottom line is - despite trying all the hints and help from various forums ,despite contacting the game developers and despite trying all the tricks of the trade I have picked up over the years GP4 WILL JUST NOT RUN!!!!
I get exactly the same symptoms as you
I have now binned GP4 and quite happily running good old dependable GP3
I have updated it with everything for 2003 season,Cars,Tracks Artwork,Pitcrews,Utilities and brand new Menu pictures etc ,And it is looking great.
I rather hoped that this issue with GP4 not running on some Computers would have been addressed by now, but it has not.
The STRANGEST thing is,it does seem to run on other machines with the same specs etc quite well!!!! and not on others
As I said just look at ALL the problems posted re this problem not only on this site but all the other GP3/GP4 Forums.
Regards,Colin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy