gp4 cockpit with real window

Posted by Caelen 
gp4 cockpit with real window
Date: March 15, 2003 06:47AM
Posted by: Caelen
ive been playing around and finally came up with a way to put a real transparent window in a gp4 cockpit.
Heres my first one for mclaren

[dynamic2.gamespy.com]

and Ferrari

[dynamic2.gamespy.com]

Post Edited (03-15-03 13:49)
Re: gp4 cockpit with real window
Date: March 15, 2003 07:03AM
Posted by: Ellis
hm, nice, interesting too

Can the the same technique be used on the outsides of the car? to create windows?

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 15, 2003 07:13AM
btw, are you going to tell us how it is done? :D If so me and sasjag are thinking of using the idea for out GT mod. Only problem is we need to build them on the front widshield and the side windows too. Is this possible?

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 15, 2003 09:53AM
Posted by: captainvik
THey look damn fine !!!

Nice work indeedy dooooooooo
Date: March 15, 2003 10:12AM
Posted by: variante_ascari
wow! i'm sure it'll be better if it's fitted with your GT mod ellis!

Date: March 15, 2003 10:20AM
Posted by: Spike02
OUR GT mod :P

Date: March 15, 2003 02:01PM
Posted by: Caelen
I just emailed to you from high gear before i saw this post,

Ok the "secret" is probably more of a trick, which i discovered yesterday. Normally gp4 uses alpha channels to determine reflectiveness but in a few special cases it uses the alpha channel to determine transparency or "opaqueness". One of these special cases is the new_steering_wheels_display stexture and cockpit_dash shape.

I created a window shape then edited it etc.
then i put it into the cockpit_dash shape.
Note:
.for some reason when its in the cockpit dash shape, it doesnt disply in the same place on screen as if its in the car_cockpit shape, so you will have to move it into position by trial and error
.the window has to be named the same as a component of the original cockpit_dash otherwise it wont show in game, ie cant call it window or something usefull like that.I used the warning_off object as this object is always visible, initially i mapped to one of the least used cockpit warning lights but then the window is only visible when the warning comes on. The original object that you mao it to can be left untouched just merge the new shape ,window, and the old one together, ie the warning_off still works as before.
.unfortunately you cant use a different texture with the cokpit_dash shape, and you cant use a different shape with the new_steering_wheels_displays texture. It has to be the new_steering_wheels_displays in the cockpit_dash shape otherwise the transparency wont work
.the transparency is fairly simple, Black is totally transparent and white is totally opaque, and of course shades of grey are somewhere in the middle.
.because the alph channel controlls visibility of the texture, it is easily possible to make tinted windows or put writing etc on the window.
.so yes i think it would be simple to use this trick for your gt mod for as many windows as you like,which by the way looks fantastic, god i hope you include decent lods as my computers fairly crappy.
Date: March 15, 2003 02:27PM
Posted by: sasjag
LOD on our GTMod is the same for each :)

cheers for the info dude, much appreciated

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: March 16, 2003 05:18AM
Thanx for that inof, and as Spike said up there, its OUR GT mod hehe

Me, Sasjag and Kudoz/spike/Y etc :P

Our cars use the same LOD each time but they are lower poly counts than normal GP4 cars. I noticed a small, 1fps increase and small drop in PO using some of the new cars, so hopefully others will find the same :D

Thank you for the info, it will be very valuable if i can get the same effect :D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy