Pit Garage Size Limitations / Position & General Pit Modifications

Posted by ramf1v 
I was wondering what the restrictions/limitations the game places on the area used for pit garages.
I'm assuming the start positions of the cars in the garages at practice and qualifying are fixed, and cannot be modified ? And the garage must be positioned around them?
It seems to be done very badly in a lot of tracks where i start in completely the wrong position.
I'm looking at modifying the garage layout and could do with clearing this up before I commit.

thx

F1Dev

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 04:07PM by ramf1v.
Re: Pit Garage Size Limitations / Position
Date: November 23, 2011 04:10PM
Posted by: ramf1v
Also, Is it possible to change the shape of the pit monitor, or just the texture?

thx

F1Dev
i do know, that the position of the cars depends on the pits start cmd.
i do know that you can alter the orientation of the car (right angle to pitlane or not. compare standard tracks to the default monaco) with magic data.
and i do know that you can alter the distance of the car to the pitlane (how deep the car will be in the garage) with magic data.
maybe there are some more values within the magic data file you can change something, eg, fine tune of the first car after the pit start cmd, or the distance between the cars. i always thought this should be possible after i found out the other two things. but i never had the patience and time to fiddle this out.

cheers
matt.

btw. you owe me already one beer, maybe it will get more. then i come over to pic them up... (B)
Har har, that be a step in the right direction, thanks matt, whatever it is, it needs to be worked out, and a step by step instruction posted.

After a few hours "ahem" researching tracks, I am dumbfounded how many are blatantly out of position. Some garages have been scaled down , some stretched, others with poles and refuelling rigs in the way, others with walls missing, you look left, and one garage is actually two, I won't post screenies or name names, but hopefully they can be fixed / avoided n future tracks.

I'm modifying the garage shape, and have a few ideas for extra mesh/textures and animations, all depend on precise placement of the cars ;-)

Anyway thanks for the pointers, I'll look into it later , tho' modeling is my strong point, not nerd raging over magic data.

I found the pit_monitor.gp4 tucked away in the cars.wad, so am beavering away in Max to make it look a little better than a biscuit tin ;)

Beers a good currency, only virtual beer doesn't quite satisfy, you need to link your local bar with a PayPal account, then I truly could buy you a beer :-)

Thanks for the pointers, hopefully someone with a more programming approach to the game, can explain the steps.....with pictures....and arrows......maybe a video with narration too.....

F1Dev
The ideal gp4 pit garage is 3 pit lane sectors wide with a length of 14 metres. When the length is shorter the pit crew will just walk through the wall.

Monaco is a good example where, for a good reason, the pit garage is too short in length. As a result the pit crew is visible behind the garage at the back stretch.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Turbo Lover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The ideal gp4 pit garage is 3 pit lane sectors
> wide with a length of 14 metres.

Ah, of course, i imported one into Max I should have noticed that, 14 meters is cool that gives me an extra 2m to work with.

So basically from where the first garage starts, the rest are in one continuous line with no gaps, each 3 sectors wide, then the cars position can be fine tuned.
So what needs to happen with precision is the pits start cmd. needs to be perfectly aligned with the garage row ?

Here's why i need it to be so precise...I going to try attaching tyre warmers to the pit monitor, a quick test shows in theory it's going to work.....

I know there's some tyre warmer textures out there but can't find them, they were in some gp4 tyre package.

Now I need to know how to get CSM to load the pit_monitor.gp4, and if we can have individual pit monitor shapes selectable via the menu (like the current pit monitor texture), to match the different tire positions, and also can we have individual Pit Prop Textures for each team ?

thx

F1Dev
ramf1v Schreef:
> So what needs to happen with precision is the pits
> start cmd. needs to be perfectly aligned with the
> garage row ?

Yes, although it's better to align the pit garages to the pits start command than the other way round. ;-)

As far I know individual pit prop textures are not possible. This file is stored in the anim.wad.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Turbo Lover Wrote:

> As far I know individual pit prop textures are
> not possible. This file is stored in the anim.wad.

So why is that a problem ?

F1Dev
GP4 only uses one pit pops texture.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Turbo Lover Wrote:
> GP4 only uses one pit pops texture.

Sure , but it also only uses one pit_monitor texture, and that can be configured via CSM to load specific team one, also loads a team steering wheel, which has a gp4 file and a texture, so in theory it must be possible via CSM to load individual pit monitor shapes and textures and team selected pit prop ?

I don't know enough about CSM programming to be sure.

F1Dev
that is feasible in csm

A potential problem with the tyre warmers is that different cars have different wheel positions.

X (@ed24f1)
SchueyFan Wrote:
> A potential problem with the tyre warmers is that
> different cars have different wheel positions.

Al the more reason to have individual pitmonitor models, then all is needed is a simple position tweak in builder.

F1Dev
The shape of a pitmonitor is not possible to adjust. I remember years ago Laurent(lo2k) i think it was tried it but it was too hardcoded that its only possible to change the texture.

In csm its possible with tweaking to get it teamspecific, same is for the lollypop. You can make it teamspecific with csm but all teams will have the same lollypop since like someone mentionned above both files only uses 1 .tex file in the game.

Thats why we need a GP5 cause GP4 has reached the limits :(
Changing the shape is easy.......The only problem i have is the position of the screen in game. maybe this is the part that cannot be moved/altered ?

Also i was wondering if the monitors animation could be altered, sped up / slowed down, move distance etc.

Could someone tell my how i can get this into GP4 using CSM ? I'm having to use the default cars.wad. thx

F1Dev
@ Bigbrother, here's the files, pit_monitor.gp4 & new_pit_monitor.tex, just a rough shape for testing (badly textured)
I need the real time tweaking that CSM gives ;-)

Pitmonitor Files

F1Dev
Ok, rough testing , it seems to work ok.

There's a few minor details to sort out, and a few things to add.

There's the old objects must be in separate parts to stop the see through effect, and I notice when i press "N" to show the time display, the objects become transparent.

I'm going to stick some blowers on the side pods, and hopefully have a mist animation rising from the pods too, and a cooler tube in the cockpit.
I'll model and texture it properly when I get the time, also it will be easier to tweak and observe on the 2011 rb7 using CSM.

F1Dev
a great experiment, keep going :)

absoluting fantastic a very good start so far nice one mate;)

Greetings
Alessio

CoM3 oN McL4R3n.....:)
Looks great!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy