Pit Garage Size Limitations / Position & General Pit Modifications

Posted by ramf1v 
OK, I've made some progress on this, I was having a problem with the objects when I pressed the "N" button, it made them transparent and I couldn't figure out why.
After a bit (read that lot) of experimenting, it turns out that the pitmonitor texture doesn't like textures with alpha maps.

Not a problem, in fact it's a bonus, because I discovered that each of the 3 objects that make up the pit_monitor.gp4 can have they're own texture.

monitor_screen - any texture you want (no alpha)

monitor_main_body - any texture you want (no alpha)

monitor_pole - texture with cables (alpha map)

Any mesh using a texture with alpha map is attached to monitor_pole and it fixes the issue, as it's separate from the rest of the mesh.

Also, pit_monitor.gp4 can be made up of any number of meshes, it just needs the prefix/class monitor_ so any number of objects too.

In a nutshell, there can be team specific tire warmers, monitor shapes, and blowers/tubing/wiring etc, each with a seperate texture.

I tried all the animation classes, but no go..... so no dry ice mist animation rising from the cockpit....bummer.

Lining the tyre warmers up with the wheels is a breeze in gp4 builder, just merge your car shape with the pitmonitor.gp4, and move warmers/objects into position, delete the car and save, all i need to do is work out the co-ordinate offset from monitor to car....volunteers ? ;-)

I only have two unanswered questions, can the actual monitor screen me moved (the one that displays the text and video wall) and can the monitor raise lower animation be modified in any way to raise higher off the screen?

thx

F1Dev

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2011 02:14AM by ramf1v.
Thats great news, keep it up mate !!!
I had a go at the dry ice mist from another angle, I used a track object to carry the animation and positioned it inside the cockpit, slight problem is, the clipping on the background cockpit object and driver arms.

So close with this one, if anyone knows how to prevent the clipping it would be a big help, otherwise i think I'll have to drop this idea.

Arms don't look too bad from external view....

As you can see the cockpit is masking out the mist texture, from cockpit view.

Edit : The problem is DXT Full Transparency in front of another texture carrying transparency, the mist has to be Full Transparency for it to look right, I tried all tex variations on the cockpit texture but no success, so the cockpit mist idea is officially in the bin.

F1Dev

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 02:50PM by ramf1v.
Well I'm done experimenting with this, the next step is to replace all the dirty models and textures with good ones. ;-)

Shame about the mist...it looks cool...

F1Dev
unbelivable it looks so cool,it even dosn't look like Gp4 xd i really like it :)

Greetings
Alessio

CoM3 oN McL4R3n.....:)
Great stuff

looks damm cool!

Gp4 always up my vision about F1 games!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Thx guys, do you know if it's possible to have an ambient sound specifically for the pit area ? I've found the SFX Ambience L in the sample editor but that seems to cover the whole track.
Is is possible to "attach" a sound and trigger it via some event ? I'd like to recreate the hustle and bustle of the qualifying sessions.

thx

F1Dev
More specifically , are these the only available sound events in the game ?

EnterCockpit=
ExitCockpit=
LoadTrack=
StartingLights1=
StartingLights2=
StartingLights3=
StartingLights4=
StartingLights5=
StartingLightsOut=
RaceLastLap=
RaceWon=
RaceFastestLap=
RaceFastestLapLost=
RacePersonalFastestLap=
RacePitIn=
RacePitOut=
QualifyFastestLap=
QualifyFastestLapLost=
QualifyPersonalFastestLap=
PracticeFastestLap=
PracticeFastestLapLost=
PracticePersonalFastestLap=
UnlPracticeFastestLap=
FailureSuspensionLR=
FailureSuspensionRR=
FailureSuspensionLF=
FailureSuspensionRF=
FailureLooseWheelLR=
FailureLooseWheelRR=
FailureLooseWheelLF=
FailureLooseWheelRF=
FailurePunctureLR=
FailurePunctureRR=
FailurePunctureLF=
FailurePunctureRF=
FailureEngine=
FailureTransmission=
FailureOilLeak=
FailureThrottle=
FailureElectrical=
FailureWaterLeak=
FailureBrake=
WarningComeInNow=
WarningTimesDQ=
WarningFuelLow=

"Enter Garage" "Exit Garage" would be perfect , if at all possible.

F1Dev
I've been told (by ZaZ) that they are unfortunately.
Shame, thx, using the ambient wav is too intrusive on the rest of the game.

F1Dev
wow nice oO any news?

:)
haunetal1990
wow nice oO any news?

Just a bit of work done on this, I made a high poly RB monitor and some tyre warmers, I have a tyre warmer template if anyone is inerested in making the team specific ones.

F1Dev
Tremendous stuff! What about a template for the high poly monitor?

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Turbo Lover
Tremendous stuff! What about a template for the high poly monitor?

A single template wouldn't work, all the monitors are very different in design, the whole plan was to have individual monitors and tyre warmers for each team.
But now you mention it, there's quite a lot of work to do.
What would be cool would be if these additional models in the pit monitor file could be repositioned like helmet and steer position via GPx Patch ;-)

F1Dev
I'm just wondering about poly count on pit monitor model file, I'm wondering if this would have any impact on game performance ? Do I need to be as conservative with the poly count as on track models ? As the monitor is only shown when in garage.

F1Dev
As I am in-game testing (mapping tire walls fixing the faces. grrr), I subdivided all 3 parts of the monitor then duplicated the objects 3 times. I don't see any difference to the PO.
I don't know enough about how the game does the rendering for this. Anyway, I don't see any difference to PO with your tire warmer idea.
ramf1v:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > wow nice oO any news?
>
>
> Just a bit of work done on this, I made a high
> poly RB monitor and some tyre warmers, I have a
> tyre warmer template if anyone is inerested in
> making the team specific ones.
>
>
> [img407.imageshack.us]
> h.pnghttp://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9714/warme
> rs2.th.pnghttp://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3410/
> mon2bb.th.pnghttp://img684.imageshack.us/img684/73
> 23/mon1p.th.png

well done! :)

:)
auscain Wrote:
> I don't know enough about how the game does the
> rendering for this.

Yup me neither, I guess throwing a 10,000 face model at it will answer the question. :-)

F1Dev
ramf1v Schreef:
> > wow nice oO any news?
>
>
> Just a bit of work done on this, I made a high
> poly RB monitor and some tyre warmers, I have a
> tyre warmer template if anyone is inerested in
> making the team specific ones.
>
>
> [img407.imageshack.us]
> h.pnghttp://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9714/warme
> rs2.th.pnghttp://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3410/
> mon2bb.th.pnghttp://img684.imageshack.us/img684/73
> 23/mon1p.th.png

where can i download this pit monitor? i would like to replace the original one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy