How to change one section of track?

Posted by TomMK 
How to change one section of track?
Date: July 15, 2011 07:09AM
Posted by: TomMK
I'm trying to learn how to edit tracks. For my first attempt, I want to remove the Abbey chicane from Silverstone 2001 (so it is more like 1991-1993 layout).

I'm stuck :). I have more sections of track than I need (because the chicane uses more sectors than a simple corner) but if I delete sectors, the length of my last sector (where it rejoins the track before Bridge) isn't right (it's too short).

Can someone cleverer than me explain how you would do this change (delete a section of track and replace it with a new one).

;) thanks in advance!

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Re: How to change one section of track?
Date: July 15, 2011 11:43AM
Posted by: truecrysis
Not sure if this is what you mean, but ive tested this and i believe what im about to say works, but then one of the big track makers might have a better solution ;)

1. choose where you want to start the edit and where you want to finish (on silverstone i chose start sector 685 and finish sector 745). From your start sector delete multiple sectors, and put in the amount between start and finish.

2. from your start sector add multiple sectors in, but select "keep existing track sectors", every time you do so, then just match up to the end sector of your track so it is straight.

3. Might need to edit arm direction on the banks as they could be pretty strange angles.

That's it, it was actually quite simple, not sure why i put numbers, but if you need help just say :)

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 11:58AM by truecrysis.
Date: July 15, 2011 02:28PM
Posted by: andreigp4
@ [f1virtual.blogspot.com] there are a few track building tutorials and I also want to recomend you this link [www.realgpx.com] . A must read prior to any building action! From my experience with modifying tracks (which is limited and close to none) I found out it's very difficult to connect the new part with the existing one. You have to watch out for elevations. Good luck!

____
Date: July 15, 2011 05:41PM
Posted by: Lo2k
There's badly no solution (yet?) to replace a short amount of sectors by a different amount of sectors without having at least one sector with incorrect length (the correct one is 4.877m).
So the clean solution is to recreate the whole track from the beginning of your new portion of track until the end to have all sectors evenly spaced but it's a huge work for a few sector changes.
The dirty one is to space sectors for your new section a little smaller or a little bigger than 4.877 but in order they are all as close as possible to this distance.
There are no assurance you won't have some little game troubles but track might be drivable anyway.

Date: July 15, 2011 10:49PM
Posted by: n00binio
Lo2k schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The dirty one is to space sectors for your new
> section a little smaller or a little bigger than
> 4.877 but in order they are all as close as
> possible to this distance.
> There are no assurance you won't have some little
> game troubles but track might be drivable anyway.

i never experienced any problems with the dirty approach, the only thing that needs tweaking are the tarmac/banks/verges/... objects as you can get empty spaces or overlapping objects when changing the amount of sectors.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: July 16, 2011 01:56AM
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the clean solution is to recreate the whole track from the beginning of your new portion

:( I was afraid of that!

I thought changing one section would be the easiest way to learn but I've changed my mind. I'm going to make a simple circuit from scratch.

Date: July 16, 2011 05:16AM
OK, so this track editting thing is massively addictive! I've started a track from scratch and I'm making the pitlane. Does it matter if my fences are not lined up perfectly, like this:

I noticed that in the original GP4 tracks, all the fences are lined up perfectly, how do they do this?!

Date: July 16, 2011 08:02AM
No it doesn't matter and you won't notice it ingame but you can tweak bank arm angle and length until they perfectly match.

Date: July 16, 2011 01:16PM
so out of interest laurent, the solution that i put, what problems arise when that solution is used to fix just one section?

And i know what you mean about track editing being addictive tom

Date: July 16, 2011 02:43PM
@Truecrysis : Well, the most annoying trouble you could have is missing parts of the tarmac somewhere on the track (maybe not for the sectors you edited) and another but tiny one is that dynamic skidmarks will be stretched for unusual sector. I also don't know if it doesn't affect cc-cars/IA a bit when passing through the unusual sector.

Date: July 16, 2011 03:22PM
Ah right ok, ive seen that error on some updated track layouts. Surely you could possibly redo the textures for the whole track to cover that? and then redo the cc line to stop the ai being affected? Im new to track editing so im just putting thoughts out there :)

Date: July 16, 2011 05:18PM
Hmm, no.
Tarmac texture is a dedicated one applied to the .bin file and if recreating the .bin doesn't solve it, you can't do anything but reworking the .dat to get sectors closer to 4.877m to fix the missing tarmac parts.
And cc-line is based on .dat sectors thus my thought it could be affected.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy