Creating a Fictional Track --- XANAX NEEDED

Posted by andreigp4 
Re: Creating a Fictional Track --- XANAX NEEDED
Date: June 25, 2011 10:39PM
Posted by: andreigp4
Thank you once again and I see you in later posts

I guess I can call it a day, on the forum at least because otherwise I am working on a new layout as I speak :). I will take my time before a decent .dat file. Maybe later we will discuss gravel traps and runoff areas (guess that runoffs are in some way related to track width).

This stuff is addictive. I had already a near fight with my girlfriend (but I guess I can always make up her by naming the track after her).

PS: In case you or any followers are wondering this is the test track:

-0 mark = 1,72 elevation

-highest point = 5.00 (on the 130 radius - 2nd lap sector of the track)

Looks just like a dog - elephant :)

____
Date: June 26, 2011 04:30PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
It looks like an angel with a large behind holding a gun ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 26, 2011 04:34PM
Posted by: hasbriale
Looks more like a baby elephant with tiny wings !!! ;-)

Must have been drinking RedBull !!;) Anyway good job.
Date: June 26, 2011 07:39PM
Posted by: soulbringer
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like an angel with a large behind holding
> a gun ;)

LOL
Date: June 26, 2011 08:07PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Yeah, it's time for me to go back to the padded cell I think ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 27, 2011 07:39AM
Maybe I will release it in the near future but it's boring and angles are too tight. A bit undriveable in the last sector. Anyway I am working a 4.8-5 km new track. Screens coming soon!

____
Date: June 27, 2011 11:37AM
So i want to test this new layout, it's for Monza but I can't find the correct textures. Any ideas where to find these textures:

Tarmac:
Side line:
Verge:
Bank:
Wall:
Kerbs:
CC-Line:

____
Date: June 27, 2011 07:32PM
Posted by: hasbriale
Try doing real race tracks .. please... Not fictional...
Date: June 27, 2011 08:13PM
Posted by: jimbob1
andreigp4 Wrote:
> So i want to test this new layout, it's for Monza
> but I can't find the correct textures. Any ideas
> where to find these textures:
>
> Tarmac:
> Side line:
> Verge:
> Bank:
> Wall:
> Kerbs:
> CC-Line:

while learning use the default textures from game....
Date: June 27, 2011 08:18PM
I would do real tracks but I guess all the good and important ones had already been made.:-)

____
Date: June 28, 2011 02:39AM
Posted by: Prblanco
To find the textures, either open every one of them using TexResizer or Slimtex until you find them ;)

Or open monza2001.gp4, look for the objects with TRACK_ prefix and open them to see which textures they use. Gives you a headstart ;-)

And there's always real tracks to make, but I believe it's better to start with a fictional one so you don't have to care about accuracy.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: June 28, 2011 07:18AM
Prblanco Wrote:
> To find the textures, either open every one of
> them using TexResizer or Slimtex until you find
> them ;)
>
> Or open monza2001.gp4, look for the objects with
> TRACK_ prefix and open them to see which textures
> they use. Gives you a headstart ;-)
>
> And there's always real tracks to make, but I
> believe it's better to start with a fictional one
> so you don't have to care about accuracy.

That was exactly what I was thinking. And when I say it's fictional I mean that is not in any racing calendar but it's cropped out of my city streets. So angles and curves are matching with real life.

To Prblanco or the guys at F1Virtual, can I suggest a list of photo tutorials (of course if you have time or patience):

1. Adding runoff areas to the track.
2. Workflow. As in: working in groups of sectors, work with angles, input slopes (how big the slope angle should be), adding kerbs.
3. Build the best CC-line.

I will think of others as the track progresses.

____
Date: June 28, 2011 12:33PM
Posted by: Lo2k
They already made a tutorial for cc-line. Check all their tutorials here (ccline is the last one)

Date: June 28, 2011 01:29PM
Hopefully we can add another tutorial until the weekend, let's see.

Date: June 28, 2011 02:24PM
@ Lo2k - Thank you I just saw that! One picture is worth 1000 words (that's why I love F1Virtual tutorials)

@Prblanco
That would be awesome. F1virtual is underrated! If I will think of something new I will definitely PM you about it (maybe in this way your blog will get the exposure that it deserves and secondly you will build a lot of lessons).

I have one problem still. :) (as usual).

Tried to build the track over an 32 pixels TGA that has the resolution of 2200x2200. Scale and everything is correct so let's skip to the problem.

Deleted Monza track with pits (from sector 3 onward). First of all the track appeared to be underneath the picture but that I was able to correct it as you showed in one of your tutorials.

Then when I tried to add sectors to the track, but GP4 Builder wouldn't let me. When it did let me, after checking the cosine tab, it says (please add your sectors after the first 3 sectors of the track). I wasn't building anything and I'm sure there where only 3 sectors. Instead I was able to add one sector at the time but no multiple sectors. I removed the TGA and everything was fine. Adding sectors worked in either linear and cosine mode (if you can explain the difference that would be great -although I believe in has something to do with means and interpolation).

I have to say that there was a lot of rotate and moving, because I wanted the start / finish line to be at a specific point. Even try to level the first 3 sectors at 0 (Z and Z2) but still i got the same error with the TGA underneath. Few last things: the TGA wasn't out of the grids bounds and I was using the default track width.

PS: I really hope that I'm not annoying you or someone else (despite this topic being mine) with these questions but there is no way to do this on your own. And I strongly believe that out there there are others who want to find out more about track building but don't know how to start or who to ask and maybe this topic will answer their questions.

____
Date: June 28, 2011 03:03PM
Hmm, I just tried to replicate your problem but I wasn't able to get any error with sector creation.
What I did :
- Open original Monza, remove sectors 3 up to the end (same for pit sectors)
- created a new scene, added a new flat object, applied my 6000*6000 texture (140Mb!).
- added multiple track or pitlane sectors (10) with or without curve and everythings went fine

If you want you can pm me or share a link to your .dat file with only 3 sectors in order I could check any particular case.

PS : As you surely noticed, linear/cosine function is applied to slope changes. if you look at track profiler (in tools menu) after you made a big slope with one or other setting, you will notice that with linear, slope is a straight line while with cosine, it's a sinusoidal (or cosinusoidal whatever) line.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 03:09PM by Lo2k.
Date: June 28, 2011 03:32PM
Laurent, I remember having a problem similar a while ago - happened to me when I tried to make a long straight, about 100 sectors for example.

@andreigp4: we get 80-100 visits a day, so I don't think it's underrated at all! However, clearly there is more interest in new downloads rather than tutorials and "technical" posts, like the long one I wrote about Spa nearly two months ago. You can't imagine how happy I am to see some interest in track editing, rather than track downloading ;)

Date: June 28, 2011 05:04PM
Tried with 2000 sectors (with -12000 radius) and it still works :p

Date: June 28, 2011 07:16PM
I deleted everything because of frustration (after 8 hours - it might sound that I have a lot of time :), but I have a full time job) but I will retry again from scratch following the steps that we've already discussed.

Also, for track building enthusiasts, apart from F1Virtual I just found this Guide for Track Editing at RealGPx. Great job guys and also great tools to work with. After finishing this track (hopefully in my lifetime) I will make a summary of this topic for anyone to read in the first post, with links and personal opinions.

____
Date: June 28, 2011 07:44PM
Posted by: jimbob1
andreigp4 Wrote:
> I deleted everything because of frustration (after
> 8 hours - it might sound that I have a lot of time
> :), but I have a full time job) but I will retry
> again from scratch following the steps that we've
> already discussed.
>
>
> Also, for track building enthusiasts, apart from
> F1Virtual I just found this Guide for Track
> Editing at RealGPx. Great job guys and also great
> tools to work with. After finishing this track
> (hopefully in my lifetime) I will make a summary
> of this topic for anyone to read in the first
> post, with links and personal opinions.

making a decnt track for grand pirx 4 takes a lot of work....even with the new builder with it's great features it takes many-many hours + more to get a track made...
you have to be able to set aside vast amounts of time to pick away with your track...this isn't for the faint hearted as i've seen many new track topics come & go here as people
soon come to realise just what you have to do to get the track completed.....
spend as much time possible developing the dat file first...this is the most important part.....then move on the the graphical side.....
don't want to put you off here but people are never told the amount of work needed to get a completed track made...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy