Please help me paint my own helmet!

Posted by oensan 
Please help me paint my own helmet!
Date: April 12, 2011 08:11PM
Posted by: oensan
I've been wanting to design my own helmet for some time, so then one day, when I get around to it, I can paint my own personal helmet for real. However, until then, I'd like to experiment and fine tune my design using a 3D tool on my laptop, rather than using a pen and paper. I've already got Adobe Photoshop and I have downloaded GP4 Builder, but I don't have Grand Prix 4 actually on this laptop, so I managed to download DaiMOn's Bell HP3 template, which is, I believe, all I need. Am I correct? If so, how do I manage to use these programmes in tandem? I can open the .gp4 files in GP4 Builder, but I have no idea how to apply the .psd files to them in order to view my helmet design in 3D! Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unless I'm very much mistaken... I am very much mistaken!
Re: Please help me paint my own helmet!
Date: April 12, 2011 09:37PM
Posted by: JohnMaverick
I would suggest you to download ZModeler as well. Then you can paint the helmet template with photoshop and safe it as .tga file. In between you can open ZModeler, open the .z3d file (which normally comes with the helmet template), press E to open the Material Editor and apply the two texture files to the two helmet slots. Then ZModeler shows you the textures on the helmet and you can easily decide whether you're fine with the result or want to do some changes.
Actually I don't see the point what you need GP4 Builder for in this case.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
Date: April 13, 2011 12:45AM
OK, thanks a lot. I'll try that now. The only reason I have GP4Builder is because it was a programme that shows 3D images, so thought it would be suitable! I'll let you know how I get on, and if I need any more help.
Date: April 13, 2011 01:00AM
OK, I have a problem. When I try and open the file Bell_HP3_Preview.z3d, ZModeler2 stops working, and I am forced to close the programme. Any ideas why this may be happening. I'm running Windows 7, so I don't know if that maybe effects anything.
Date: April 13, 2011 01:32AM
Posted by: Prblanco
ZModeler version 1.07 is the best choice for GP4 editing, download that one ;-)

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: April 13, 2011 01:55AM
OK, I've managed to get ZModeler 1.07 working on my laptop, thanks. However, once I've tried following JohnMaverick's instructions, I end up with a screen that looks like this, which I presume is not how it should look!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to keep asking, but I've tried to read up on this stuff, but nothing I try seems to be going right!

Thanks, again.
Date: April 13, 2011 09:21AM
Actually this is exactly what it should look like, well, mostly at least. At your screenshot you now see the button 'driver_1'. Click at it and another window will open. Then click at 'replace' and assign your own painted texture. After that go back to this window, and click the button next right to where '1st texture' is standing, choose most likely 2nd texture - or whatever that is called - and do the same with that again.

And as a little hint, I would scroll into the helmet a bit more. This can be done by using the mouse wheel while your mouse is pointed into the preview window.

Date: April 13, 2011 02:17PM
Me again! Followed your instructions, and fiddled about with the zoom, but this is all I manage to come up with. The helmet remains in white all over, no matter whether I replace the textures with my own, or the default ones that come with the template. Can you see what I may be doing wrong here?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 02:22PM by oensan.
Date: April 13, 2011 05:00PM
No, that actually surprises me a bit. Could you PM me the link where you downloaded the shape and templates? Then I'll give it a try myself to understand better how this shape functions (I actually never used it so far).

Date: April 13, 2011 05:21PM
OK, I've sent you a message. Thanks for helping out. I eagerly await your reply!
Date: April 13, 2011 05:41PM
Answer sent, however as I have the same problem, I can't give you any further advice. See more instructions in my PM and good luck for finding a solution.

Date: April 13, 2011 06:23PM
Posted by: DaiMOn
Hey guys. To tell the truth I've never met this problem before. I tested the files on my laptop and everything seems okay. Maybe it could be a VGA driver issue.

I suggest to test Zmodeler with different templates, if the problem still exist try to play with the Direct3D settings a bit, (Options -> 3D View and Options ->Settings...). Have a look at your Catalyst/nVidia Control Panel settings and force every 3D option (AA, AF, A.I. etc.) to "Use Application Settings" (or something like this).

If none of these instructions help, I'll have a look at it when I'll have some free time....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 06:24PM by DaiMOn.
Date: April 13, 2011 06:34PM
Thanks, DaiMOn. Got it to work with that latest piece of advice! I had to change to Options > 3D View > Select Device > RGB Emulation and then it worked. All of everyone's help here is greatly appreciated. Now to see how I get on with the whole painting malarky!
Date: April 13, 2011 08:03PM
Right, I have another problem... All I did was slightly change the colour of the blue on driver1_1 and then changed the helmet top to yellow on driver1_2, before saving them as .tgas. I opened ZModeler, loaded them up, and this happened! Any idea why?

For some reason, everything seems to have been inverted and mirrored. Sorry, but I'm a complete amateur at this, and having followed instructions in tutorials and from everyone's advice here, I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Date: April 13, 2011 08:06PM
Posted by: SPOKES
I think you need to change them to .tex files first, by using slimtex from ZAZ Tools?
Date: April 13, 2011 10:41PM
Posted by: majasses
Save it as .bmp and it will be ok ;-)
Date: April 13, 2011 10:52PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Make sure you've done a like-for-like replacement on each .tga, but I don't really know what else to suggest.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: April 13, 2011 10:58PM
Posted by: DaiMOn
Flip the textures vertically before you save them into TGA format ;)
Date: April 13, 2011 10:59PM
Posted by: MDBSnake
How about trying to flip the textures vertical, save and then re-load them ;-)

If you are racing, keep on racing and get some points!

GPG Super League S11 | Driver #41 | Team-manager | Snake Motorsports Racing Group | Next Race: Emmeloord - Flevoland GP | Constructors: 10th | Best Race Finish: 1st
GPG Super League Season 9 Testers Champion*
Date: April 14, 2011 12:10AM
Wow, thanks for the response guys! Turns out I needed to flip the images vertically in Photoshop before saving them as .tgas. Now, hopefully I can go about designing a woefully painted helmet!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy