Graphics Card

Posted by rayg 
Re: Graphics Card
Date: February 13, 2003 10:27PM
Posted by: ferrariace
I believe you need at least 300 watts for the geforce card also.Check Nvidia's site.
Date: February 14, 2003 01:10AM
Posted by: rayg
If you have a P4 then the power supply will give you enough power for the card and if you havn't got a P4 then the graphics card won't work aswell as it will be struggling because of the processor!
Date: February 14, 2003 03:53PM
Posted by: Alex13
hehe The Nvidia FX card GPU will probably work faster than a PIII CPU

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: February 15, 2003 09:16AM
Posted by: Glyn
The GeForce FX also works better than a vacuum cleaner too!

Date: February 15, 2003 09:32AM
Posted by: Joeku
64mb thats a good one though it will be more than min requirements for games for atleast the next years.
i just got my brands new 64mb SIS 315E graphics card for 30pounds
Date: February 16, 2003 02:54AM
Posted by: miraldo
if you don't have enough money for a Radeon 9700, you could buy a Radeon 9500 with 128 MB ram (Sapphire Atlantis) and try to upgrade it to a Radeon 9700.

You can get more info here:
[slashdot.org]

or here
[www.guru3d.com]

As far as i know its working with 50% of all Sapphire cards, but i't didn't worked with mine. (i got some graphic bugs).
But it's okay, becaus Radeon 9500 is still a decent card. And you can still overclock it to have the same clock speed as a radeon 9700.

I had some problems with the power supply, because i had just 300 Watt. i had to disconnect my CD-Rom drive to get the card working.

So, when buying a new pc be sure to get a 350 Watt power supply.
(But not one from Enermax, because its not working with my Radeon 9500 for some funny reason)
Date: February 16, 2003 07:57AM
Posted by: SchimmyMike
The best cars available at the moment are:

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

Geforce 4 TI 4600.

But they costs a lot.

For a good card with a cheaper price:

ATI Radeon 8500 (tweakable ;) )

Geforce 4 TI 4200

If you have a fast computer your actual card slows it down.

If you have to much money - wait for the Geforce FX. Available from april on.

P.S. I own a MSI Starforce 4 TI 4600 (GF4 TI 4600)

Join the biggest german speaking rpg community for Battlefield 1942 Modifikation "Forgotten Hope".

Visit www.fh-warzone.de for more informations.
Date: February 16, 2003 01:24PM
Posted by: Tony
I was going to order a hewlett-packard Pavilion from dabs

HP 734 2.66 , as It seemed/seems good value for money at £843 qwid. You get a 2.66 Intel processor, lots of usb ports (6), 80 gig hd (albeit 5400 rpm), and a Geforce 4 Mx 440 128 meg. I suppose this system would run Gp4...but would it run it with max details on? - and in (say) (1280 *1024 res)?, reason I ask this is because, having visiting the HP forum, they tell me the psu are not that high, and wouldn]'t accomodate a hi-end gfx card. Hmmmm, so the processor is ok, but suppose say, I want to band a Radeon 9700 in or a TI 4600 in? - well, they tell me on hp forums, that a new psu would be required - and the arent that easy to do in hp pavilion cases I'm told, with.

So if i brought a hp/pavilion 734, It would have to live the rest of its life with a mx geforce 128 meg - I couldn't upgrade. (some pavilions, however, include the radeon 9000 (non pro) 64 meg.

I think I'll go elsewhere for my pc i think, since I couldn't live with a mx card for the next 3 years or so. anyone recomment a good shop/place?. mesh/evesham anyone?, I've seen there awards in computer mags - which must mean something. However, "carrera" also have lots of awards...but are close to going bust I hear (pc adviser forums)...and there tech support is worse that "time" computers (again, from pc adviser forums) [www.pcadvisor.co.uk]. that, to me, means BAD!

I may go break miss piggy, and her bank en-route, and take the plunge for a Raddy 9700 (non pro). is there a BIG difference between this and the pro version (which are out of stock for the time being say Evesham - who I may elect for). Thanks miraldo for the info, but based on law-of-averages in my daily life, I WILL be one of those 50% ers' - of the short straw that is:). naah, I'd sooner pay a bit more ...just to be on the safe side:)

Tony
Date: February 17, 2003 09:51AM
Posted by: Timm
Build your own Tony.

It's easy (fairly!) and you get to choose what you want in it.
Plus you get the satisfaction of creating something with your own hands, and if you get stuck, you can get help here.

I get all my bits from EBuyer.co.uk and have never had a problem. They're good value too.

Date: February 19, 2003 09:39AM
Posted by: Glyn
Just remember to test your machine as you build it to remove any incompataibity niggles. There is nothing worse that putting everything in, turning it on and nothing happens. Takes you ages to find out whats not right, and its always something simple.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy