How do i get split axis to work on a momo force ?

Posted by BYF 
How do i get split axis to work on a momo force ?
Date: February 04, 2003 06:22AM
Posted by: BYF
I can't get gp4 to work with split axis on my momo force. It calibrates ok but when i go into advanced and click accelerater brake tab they are both showing up as controler A and (Y) which i think means Y axis. Does this mean the brake and accelerater are both using the Y axis coz thats what it looks like!? The thing is i can't change this setting as its greyed out and is unclickable. When i play gp4 at moment i have no brake at all just acclerater.

How can i change the axis of the pedals in gp4 i think the brake pedal should be z axis! ? coz in grand prix legends my brake pedal is on the Z axis.

I know others of you on here use a momo force Ff in split axis on gp4,
how do u guys do this???

Please help

BYF
Re: How do i get split axis to work on a momo force ?
Date: February 04, 2003 07:21AM
Posted by: Vader
You need to change the settings in your wheel's profile in Windows.

In the windows control panel go to game devices and disable (untick) the box that says "one axis for both pedals" (something like this, I have the German version). Now you should be able to choose IRZ axis for your MOMO in games.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 04, 2003 08:06AM
ive tried this already and have this disabled always as i also play grand prix legends and nascar with split axis, its just gp4 that don't seem to work with it. If i choose combined axis then i do have a brake and accelerater buts its not split axis and the brake keeps locking up. Im using the patched version 9.6 of gp4!

Cheers BYF
Date: February 04, 2003 11:35AM
Maybe this helps. I posted it some time ago for Larry the Elder:

in GP4 (options -> controls -> advanced)

- under "user set" choose "not used" to configure new device

- controller type "wheel"

- steering device "Controller A (X)"
- steering mode "analog"

- acceleration device "Controller A (Z)"
- acceleration mode "analog"
- brake device "Controller A (IRZ)"
- brake mode "analog"

If you choose the device for acceleration and braking a window pops up where you have to tick the axis you want to choos (Z = gas, IRZ for brakes). You can also see this way if the device does respond.

I think the part that went wrong with your sertup might have been that you didn't choose "user set" under "not used" to configure a new device.

Post Edited (02-04-03 18:37)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 05, 2003 03:52AM
Posted by: mortal
Is your gp4 patched to v1.02? One I installed the patch I was unable to get split axis. Removal of the patch was the only solution that worked for me ;-/

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 05, 2003 07:37AM
I have split axis in both version (patched and unpatched) with my MOMO.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 05, 2003 11:19PM
Posted by: mortal
Not with thrustmaster ff, I've given up on it. Running unpatched.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 07, 2003 05:39AM
cheers for the tips guys i have this problem sorted now. You were right vader i had to choose user set instead of wheel presets. I can't even get the non patched gp4 to start up with my MOMO force plugged in it crashes to desktop, but it works fine now with the patched version, thanks!!

Cheers BYF
Has anyone with a Thrustmaster wheel (I have F1 FF) ever got split axis to work in the patched GP4 ????

It works in the unpatched version but ever since they released the patch the split axis stopped working for Thrustmaster wheel owners.

Just wondering whether anyone ever got it to work..... maybe the marvelous Madman could put a tweak into his Gp4 Tweaker to solve ?

any chance Madman ???

cheers
vik

P4 2.85gig Albatron mobo 512mb Corsair3200LL Ram 19&quot;Auriga Mon. SBLive! + 4point surround spkrs. Thrustmaster F1 FF Wheel. Radeon9500pro Cat3.4 drivers. GP4 55fps 1024*768 - No VideoWalls/HeatHaze - Mirrors On.
Hi Vader,

After reading your tips and tweaking with my wheel, I still only see "controller A (Y)" for my accell and brake.

Would you be kind enough to send your control set to my email.

aagancia@msn.com

By the way, what are the advantages of split axis over combined?

thanks
got it figured out already. sorry, my bad.

but I'm still curious about its advantages over conbined axis
Date: July 25, 2003 06:17AM
First of all I am glad it works for you, aagancia.

Found this expalnation on a "NASCAR Thunder 2003" site:

SPLIT AXIS (or combined axis) vs. SEPARATE AXIS

For the most realistic simulation experience, it is crucial for the brake and gas pedals to be assigned to their own separate axes. This results in the best and fastest car control, by allowing multiple pedals to be pressed with proper individual pedal response at the same time.

In split axis (or combined) mode, the input from both pedals is sent as a single input to the game. As a result, you can effectively use only one pedal at a time. If you depress both pedals equally, the signals cancel each other out and the game responds as if the pedals are not depressed. Thus, full braking power only happens when the gas pedal is completely lifted, and vice-versa.

Conversely, in separate axis mode, the input from each pedal is sent separately to the game, so you can use both pedals at the same time. One pedal can be doing one thing, while the other can be applied to the desired effect without directly affecting the first pedals' input. You could brake while revving the engine, or use advanced driving techniques such as trail-braking which we will cover later on.

You can also see the difference between the two modes when you calibrate the controller in the game controller's control panel (access this by going to your control panel, clicking on Game Controllers, and selecting properties of your recognized and selected controller(s)). In combined axis mode, the gas and brake are calibrated on only one axis - when you press the gas it moves a single axis indicator one direction, and the brake moves it in the opposite. In separate axis mode, each pedal will reside on it's own axis. The gas and brake pedals will move two different axes their full length of travel. This illustrates another important benefit of separate axis mode: your pedals will have a greater, full range of input. Rather than sharing (and thereby halving) one axis, you will have much more fine control due to the broad, full range of axis movement.

Separate axis mode allows you to do a number of things:

- You gain full axis travel for finer control as discussed above.

- You can use both pedals at the same time.

- You can trailbrake. Trailbraking is a technique used by real race drivers to maximize their speed and control in cornering. It is a difficult technique to master, but once grasped and practiced results in a faster, more rewarding driving experience. While the general idea is to brake into a corner and completely come off the brake by the point of throttle application, you can use dabs of throttle to balance the car in mid-corner, or tap the brake to give the front tires grip to tuck into the apex. So separate axis becomes crucial to do this fine footwork on each pedal simultaneously.

- All of the above equals one thing - more speed. Ok, maybe a second thing - more fun.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Thanks.

I did notice that with separate axis, I was able to brake later than I usually do.
... damn !

nice explanation you found there Vader ....

wish I could have split axis with the patched Gp4

but seems have to suffer with combined unless I go back to v1.00

bah !!!!!

damn thrustmaster wish they'd pull their fingers out of their lazy asses... or hire Logitech to write their drivers for them.

P4 2.85gig Albatron mobo 512mb Corsair3200LL Ram 19&quot;Auriga Mon. SBLive! + 4point surround spkrs. Thrustmaster F1 FF Wheel. Radeon9500pro Cat3.4 drivers. GP4 55fps 1024*768 - No VideoWalls/HeatHaze - Mirrors On.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy