GPGSL Rule Amendment

Posted by GPGSL 
GPGSL Rule Amendment
Date: February 14, 2011 04:16AM
Posted by: GPGSL
GPGSL Announcement

Open for Discussion; an amendment to the GPGSL Rules for drivers expelled from the series due to inactivity.

It has come to the attention of the GPGSL management team that drivers who have been expelled from the series due to the current inactivity rules may return to the grid without further penalty to their existing perf.

This has not been an issue for the GPGSL in the past, however drivers have contacted us and expressed their desire for an amendment to the current rules. Therefore the GPGSL invites discussion from the team-owners and drivers as to which direction any rule amendment should take.

The current options available to the GPGSL are as follows:

Option 1: An expelled driver returning to the series at the commencement of a new season will retain their original perf, from the series, less the new season perf percentage adjustment.
Option 2: An expelled driver returning to the series at the commencement of a new season will have their perf halved prior to the new season adjustment.
Option 3: An expelled driver returning to the series at the commencement of a new season will have their perf halved after the new season adjustment.
Option 4: An expelled driver returning to the series at the commencement of a new season will have the base starter perf.
Option 5: New inactivity Penalties: Warning 1: 20 perf points penalty
Warning 2: 30 perf points penalty
Warning 3: 40 perf points penalty + expulsion with no further action in a new series.
Option 6: A driver expelled from a season due to the inactivity rules can rejoin a new season with his or her previous season starting perf. All perf points gained from the previous season will be removed.

As members of the GPGSL team are either drivers and/or team owners, there could be a conflict of interest regarding this amendment as it directly affects the performance of drivers and teams on the grid. Therefore we ask you, the participants of the series to assist us on making a decision.

It is not necessary to vote per-se, however your input as to how we run your series for you is valued and appreciated. If additional options are discovered during the discussions, they will of course be explored.
We allow seven days from the posting of this announcement to give all participants time to consider the topic. At the close of discussion on this amendment, the GPGSL will make an official Rule Amendment Announcement.
This rule amendment would be in place prior to the commencement of Season 6.

Thank-you for your time, the GPGSL team.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 02:06AM by mortal.
Re: GPGSL Rule Amendment
Date: February 14, 2011 03:26PM
Posted by: Nickv
While I won't be racing anymore in S6, I'll still put in my unwanted 2 cents :P

I think option 1 is the best. The unactive have already recieved perf penalties. But a 60 point loss isn't all that much. You could also make the perf penalties progressively severe. So for instance:
Warning 1: 20 perf points penalty
Warning 2: 30 perf points penalty
Warning 3: 40 perf points penalty + expulsion

That gives you a 90 point penalty, which is a lot, since a victory only gives 15 points.

So maybe having this, combined with option 1 could become option 5 or something? ;)

EDIT: While the current other options seem to be more harsh, a bit of calculation proves that wrong.

Halving the perf before or after the new season adjustment won't make all that much of a difference I think, but anyway, take Markos perf for an example of an extreme case. His perf will be halved and he'll end up somewhere in the middle of the pack, perf wise.
The highest perf we have now is 16175 with four races to go, Matts. Imagine Matt gets expelled one race before the end of the season under my system, so he'll have another two penalties and 70 extra points off his perf, giving 16105. That's the best scenario we have. That would put him down the end of the mid pack.
Since we would have a 90 point total penalty, many drivers could actually slip under the base perf (16020). Anyone with a perf of less than 16110 can have that happen to him. Atm that's half the race field and 18 out of the testing field.

So if you want harsh, the best way is probably to increase the penalties themselves somehow. And increasing severity may also encourage team owners to get their drivers back active (like they're supposed to do, but seem to forget ;))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 03:44PM by Nickv.
Date: February 14, 2011 04:18PM
Posted by: senna9194
Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I won't be racing anymore in S6, I'll still
> put in my unwanted 2 cents :P
>
> I think option 1 is the best. The unactive have
> already recieved perf penalties. But a 60 point
> loss isn't all that much. You could also make the
> perf penalties progressively severe. So for
> instance:
> Warning 1: 20 perf points penalty
> Warning 2: 30 perf points penalty
> Warning 3: 40 perf points penalty + expulsion
>
> That gives you a 90 point penalty, which is a lot,
> since a victory only gives 15 points.
>
> So maybe having this, combined with option 1 could
> become option 5 or something? ;)

paolo tafuro approves it(Y)

My GPGSL Career
Date: February 14, 2011 05:10PM
Posted by: JohnMaverick
I actually like Nick's idea. It's more or less the same than my ideas on this, but even more harsh.
I though of:
1. Warning: 20 points reduction
2. Warning: 20 points reduction
3. Warning: 40 points reduction + ban for the remainder of the season.

So in the end, Nick's idea would mean a 10 points more reduction but we're more or less at the same level. However, the more important part of this seems to be the transfer of the penalty to the next season. Option one sounds generally like a good idea, as it would simply mean to let this driver start with the last season's starter perf, or did I understand that incorrectly? However, at a closer look this would bring very unfair results, in the end. A driver who collected more points than he got less by perf reductions, would be punished by this, while a driver who collected less points than perf reductions would be punished a lot less. And a driver who didn't collect any points at all, wouldn't be punished by this at all.
Therefore I think it'd be best to do the percentage adjustment on the new season's starter perf and after that reduce the perf by the amount of reductions collected to get the final starter perf. As this one is then the base for the next but one season, it is ensured that the penalty takes effect permanently.
I know this is a very harsh suggestion, but it'd force both drivers and team owners much more to take care on activity than simply putting the drivers back on the last season's starter perf. And it would be more fair than the other suggestions, as everybody is punished with a fix amount of perfs rather than a percentage.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
Date: February 14, 2011 05:15PM
Option 1 is that the perf isn't changed when the driver reenters. So if I get kicked out while having a perf of 16100 and I return next season, I'll still keep my perf of 16100 and will then get the new season correction.
Date: February 14, 2011 05:27PM
Posted by: BAR#10
hmm, I think option 1 is either wrongly interpreted or something else that i thought it would be.

under the driver continuity formula it stands; ALL seasons that a driver has participated in count toward to say season 6 starter perf. Every seasons points (And each has been divided by 3) is accumulated into ALL TIME perf.
THEN the perf gets tweaked to whatever gap is chosen (this season 45 pts from base to top)

So if Nick gets kicked out in s6 his points gathered in s6 wont be ommited from ALL time PERF, which will be then tweaked. (obviously if he gets kicked out in the middle of season he wont have 16100 next season but probbably less.

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Date: February 14, 2011 06:05PM
I have to admit you guys confuse me ;)
I'll have a look at other suggestions before I come back to this (and additionally have another check of the continuity formula). Maybe that'll help me to understand it better

/addition: @Marko
Where do you take the information from that the perfs are tweaked to a gap of 45 points? I can't find that in the rules at all. Sorry for the offtopic, but that's important to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 06:11PM by JohnMaverick.
Date: February 14, 2011 06:33PM
@John
Initially the driver continuity formula was to be the evergrowing perfs, but in between we have decided to keep a certain gap to base.
The first time it was tweaked for s4 (60 pts) and it was tweaked into 45 for s5. it was voted on GPGSLRS meeting, but never formally written into rules.
s1 gap - 0 pts
s2 gap:40 pts
s3 gap:80 pts (all 2 and 3 on evergrowing)
s4 gap: 60pts
s5: 45 pts

Formula is this:

example

in season1 it was didvide by 2 as we only had 8 race under the no unfair advantage rule.

NICK scored let's say 90 pts in s1.
(ofc qualy perf pts are counted seprately)
SEASON 1 : 90/2 = 45 all time perf points
SEASON 2 :120/3= 40 all time perf points
SEASON 3 :109pts= 33all time perf points
SEASON 4 : 150/3 =50 all time perf points
season 5 120/3= 40 all time perf points

ALLTOGETHER (SUM of pts in bold) 208 all time perf points
DRIVERwho has SCORED most all time perf pointsSAY 250 all time perf points

So now if choose a gap of 50 points from base to top, it means that a base is 16020 race perf, and 16070 top perf.
So the all time points scorer has 16070 s6 starter perf, Nick has proportionalized perf to it. 208/250 x50 + 16020= 16061 perf.

That's why testers has so much points to score (to build on the perf) as some are coming late in the series or had a bad car. But even that will be tougher as gpgsl goes on so I suggested last season to add average points scored to drivers who havent been here from s1.

JASON fe who joined in s3 f.e.

S3: 90/3= 30 all time perf points
S460/3 =20all time perf points
S5 90/3 =30all time perf points

80 all time perf points. so that means, 27 on average, his 27 to s1 and s2 that he wasnt part of would fill the gap and give some balance.
so he'd have 134 ALL TIME points, and thus 134/250 would give him 16047 starter perf instead of 16036 compared to top 16070 perf.

GPGSL career;
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 06:45PM by BAR#10.
Date: February 14, 2011 07:15PM
ah, that's good to know. Thanks for the explanations, Marko

Date: February 14, 2011 07:27PM
you're welcome. Last part isn't implemented (averages). I guess it can be up for discussion.

GPGSL career;
Date: February 14, 2011 09:07PM
Posted by: CaptinFranko
im afraid I'm a bit old school in my approach to it...If they can't be bothered enough for one season then they should start again with the base perf in the next.

GPGSL - Christel VXR team Boss S6-S8, S12 Onwards

Date: February 14, 2011 09:29PM
Posted by: shep34
I agree with Captain Franko! If you have gone M.I.A during a season, then wish to rejoin next season, why are you entitled to be treated with a "reward" as such. A loss in performance should be applied. Going back the base starters perf seems logical, and fair to those who have remained active....
Or, if there are circumstances where a driver has voluntarily stood down from active driving roles, then re-joins later in the season, or next season, perhaps that is worthy of KEEPING their previous perf ratings. Sometimes life gets in the way of things like GPGSL, so at least if prior notice is given of your pending absence, you should be given some credit in the bank, as such....

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
Date: February 14, 2011 09:57PM
shep34 Wrote:
> I agree with Captain Franko! If you have gone
> M.I.A during a season, then wish to rejoin next
> season, why are you entitled to be treated with a
> "reward" as such. A loss in performance should be
> applied. Going back the base starters perf seems
> logical, and fair to those who have remained
> active....
> Or, if there are circumstances where a driver has
> voluntarily stood down from active driving roles,
> then re-joins later in the season, or next season,
> perhaps that is worthy of KEEPING their previous
> perf ratings. Sometimes life gets in the way of
> things like GPGSL, so at least if prior notice is
> given of your pending absence, you should be given
> some credit in the bank, as such....

A good point...prior notice should be the only set of extenuating circumstances.

Date: February 14, 2011 10:25PM
Posted by: mortal
This discussion refers only to drivers that the GPGSL has expelled due to inactivity, not to drivers who voluntarily retire during a season, and then rejoin a new season.
Nick's option 5 has been added to the first post options list.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 14, 2011 10:34PM
Mal, current state isnt in the options at all or is misinterpreted.

it should read as
Option : An expelled driver returning to the series at the commencement of a new season will have their perf from the GPGSL PERF CONTINUITY FORMULA, less the new season perf percentage adjustment. (whatever the points scored in the ongoing season are implemented)

GPGSL career;
Date: February 15, 2011 12:50AM
Posted by: icky
I am with the guys who think it should be a base perf. It takes barely any time to make a post and yes it can be hard to keep up but if your interest is there then you can find time. Being part of the GPGSL is a privilege and if you do not respect that you do not deserve your perf.

@ Marko Does this mean when people start the season half way through they get a multiplier as if they raced the whole season. Eg last year i got 4 points in 5 races so i get a 3.2 multiplier of 4 to complete the season?

This means last year i was uber crap ;)
Date: February 15, 2011 12:07PM
I suppose.

GPGSL career;
Date: February 15, 2011 09:06PM
icky Wrote:
> I am with the guys who think it should be a base
> perf. It takes barely any time to make a post and
> yes it can be hard to keep up but if your interest
> is there then you can find time. Being part of the
> GPGSL is a privilege and if you do not respect
> that you do not deserve your perf.

>
> @ Marko Does this mean when people start the
> season half way through they get a multiplier as
> if they raced the whole season. Eg last year i got
> 4 points in 5 races so i get a 3.2 multiplier of 4
> to complete the season?
>
> This means last year i was uber crap ;)

I especially agree with this part icky, and whilst it is a little off topic I wish a few more people would bare this in mind. The difficulties I have had trying to sign drivers, for race seats for next year has been unbelievable. I have had people turn down a race seat to take a test role.

Date: February 15, 2011 10:42PM
Well Chris, IMO you're mixing two things here. Finding drivers is always difficult for new teams, not only in the GPGSL. Everybody is looking for the best seats and when they're occupied, driver's look for alternatives. But the crossing of negotiations sometimes makes it difficult to make the right decision. Look at Heidfeld in F1, for example.

But let's get back to topic: After thinking about it another time, I also think that putting banned drivers back on the base perf is the most rational decision. It's more or less fair to all and easy to handle.
Anyway, I was just wondering on how to handle perf penalties of driver's who don't get banned because they only get warned one or two times. How is this to handle? Is there any approach on this in this topic or will these perf reductions wiped away after the season, as it is at the moment? Just out of curiosity :-)

Date: February 15, 2011 11:03PM
Warnings are erased, penalties are not.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy