V-Sync

Posted by Go Alesi 
V-Sync
Date: January 28, 2003 11:09AM
Posted by: Go Alesi
Could anybody please tell me what v-sync does. I usually have it turned off, but I turned it on and tried GP4 and it didn't make any speed difference. I tried altering the numbers in the F1graphics file but I don't know which number is best!

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Re: V-Sync
Date: January 28, 2003 11:51AM
Posted by: tis
V-synch enables synchronisation between the monitor refresh rate abd the output from your graphics card. I recommend that you do not bother with it for GP4.

It only really has advantages when used with a game like Quake where you can get massive frame rates. The graphics card only renders and displays a 'frame' as fast as the monitor can display it. Most monitors operate at 60 - 85Hz refresh rate and if your graphics card is sending data to the monitor faster that it can display it you get the effect known as tearing. This is the frame stopping overwriting halfway down the screen as a new frame has been sent and it starts to render that. V-Synch stops this happening and makes for smoother looking output. GP4 will never reach 85FPS so don't bother, as there is a small performance hit too.
Date: January 28, 2003 12:58PM
Posted by: Glyn
Thats the exact reason why people who boast about 150 fps in Quake 3 are idiots. They are performance crazy as its pointless having a higher FPS than the refresh rate.

On the subject of this, if you have a refresh rate of 85 Hz with vsync enabled, does the game limit the FPS to 85 or does it still pump more out and the graphic card handles it all but FPS monitors still report the higher FPS?

Date: January 28, 2003 02:49PM
Posted by: tux
it pumps out more, but ure gfx card/windows/monitor limits it to 85 sent to the monitor

Date: January 28, 2003 05:03PM
Posted by: Vader
VSYNC is vertical syncvhronization. It tells the display where to put the picture from top to bottom. Disabling will cause a performance boost, can, however, lead to warping.

HSYNC tells the display where to put the picture in the left-to-right dimension.

NSYNC is just a bunch of twats.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 30, 2003 12:20PM
Posted by: Glyn
The man with unlimited knowledge (or a quick net connection to rapidly search google) :)

Date: January 30, 2003 03:33PM
Posted by: Lo2k
I personnaly enable v-sync even if it might slow down a bit GP4 but at least i havn't horizontal cuts evrywhere in the game.
Just look at vertical fine objects in the game (high cranes, antennas, ...) when you are turning left or right at middle speed.
Without v-sinc, those elements will seems as sliced in 2 during some fractions of frames and it can be really flicky if you have sensible eyes.
With it, cranes are integers, no more slice effects, they seems consistant.

Date: January 30, 2003 04:12PM
Posted by: Vader
This is what synchronizing is there for; it does not pass the data from the gfx card to the monitor's cathode ray as fast as it comes, but waits until a frame is complete (synchronized). Only then the picture is send to the display device. This takes a little longer than without sync, however, it provides you with better quality and less warping effects as described by Lo2k.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy