GP4 Master

GP4 Master
Date: January 28, 2003 09:59AM
Posted by: euanemblin@ntlworld.com
Hi

Can anyone help me with how to point the above tool to my GP4.exe. I have GP4 v.1.2. I have tried to use GP4Master v.1.2 but when I point it to my .exe in the root directory I am told that it is of the wrong size. I am using the no-cd decrypted GP4.exe so I can't see the problem.

Is there anyone out there who can make GP4Master work for them. It seems like such an important tool for so many of the mods available?

Re: GP4 Master
Date: January 28, 2003 10:13AM
Posted by: Vader
Is GP4 Master compatble with 1.02? I thought it wasn't, which would explain your problem.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 28, 2003 10:27AM
Hello Vader

I kind of assumed that it was only because it went under the version 1.2 but I will check and let you know where I got it from in the first place.

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly, mate.

Date: January 28, 2003 10:36AM
Hi again

Yes, GP4Master is only for the out-of-the box game it would seem as it was posted during the summer of last year and the official patch didn't materialize until the end of the year. Do you think that we are likely to see an updated version of this tool. So many other mods seem to require it. I am just looking for ways to install carshape/texture updates for 2002 into the game. Maybe I just need to wait for the self-installing pack from the likes of Ralph at 'emac'.

Thanks for your assistance.
Date: January 28, 2003 10:47AM
Posted by: LarryM
Hi,
if you want to use GP4master with 1.02, make a copy of the decrypted exe v1.00. Then rename this to "GP4_old.exe. Place the renamed exe in the game folder and then point GP4 Master at this file (configuration). It works perfectly for me. BTW I got this advice from this wonderful forum :).

Post Edited (01-28-03 17:48)

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: January 28, 2003 11:18AM
Hi Larry

Many thanks. Worked first time and now I can start on importing some of last year's carshapes into the game. Great!
Date: January 28, 2003 11:50AM
Just a footnote

Is there anywhere on the net that I can lay my hands on a simple guide to using GP4Master effectively? At first glance, it doesn't seem to be self-explanatory. I want to use it to import individual car designs into the game.
Date: January 28, 2003 01:30PM
Posted by: tux

we have an unbelever amoung us :P jk

Date: January 28, 2003 05:07PM
Posted by: Vader
euanemblin@ntlworld.com -

since dumass posting below you is nobody else than the maker of of the Carset Creator, you should better stop using Gp4Master and use dumass tool instead. If you confess and repent, he will gladly help you out with any further problems concerning his great program.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 28, 2003 09:48PM
Hi again,
Car creator is much easier to use and when Dumbass get's his new version ready, I expect GP4 will move into history :) I use the old carcreator for helmets, because Ican see what helmets I am changing. Also cockpit view is visible when dealing with liveries.

I had the same problem with GP4, it is difficult and clumsy at first and the readme is confusing. Here is what you do for updating wads:
1. open GP4master
2. click on wad workshop
3. click on load wad file and point to eg. cars.wad in your gp4 folder
4. click on extract wad file (I have made a special folder D:\wadedit which I clear out after everything is done).
At this stage GP4 seems to lock up - be patient, extracting the contents of the wad takes time.
5. close gp4master
6. go to your wadedit folder and you will finf the contents of the wad, eg subfolders cars
7. copy and paste your new car files to the relevant folder .
8. open gp4 master
9. click on create wad from directory and give the address of your wadedit folder, then it asks for name of wad: write cars,wad eg
10 gp4 the "locks up" for a while. After this close it.
11. go to your go4master folder, there you will find a car.wad file
12. copy and paste to gp4 folder (make a backup first)
That's it.

Would someone else like to continue with how to deal with tex workshop- important for importing steering wheekls etc.?

Good luck

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: January 29, 2003 12:41AM
No one yet?
Tex workshop is pretty straight forward. You cansee the textures you are dealing with. I use this only for steering wheels. The steering wheel is in the cars.wad there should be a folder "CP" or "cockpits".
You have already extracted the cars.wad as above. You then open each of the steering wheel textures one at a time. you replace the relevant texture from your new wheel download. Then SAVE it. Then the next part of the wheel and the same thing.
Always after editing like this, you must create a wad from the updated files. So you go back to wad workshop and do that (as above). The new wad is in the GP4 master directory. Cpy and paste to the game folder.

Personally I prefer to use carset creator for single car liveries (whenn they are tga files, like with Ralph Hummerich) and helmets. Why? because you can see the textures graphically. If you wnt to try carset creator while your waiting for dumbass to update it, you will have to temporarily rename your patched exe as gp4.exe.bak (for example). Then import the version 1.00 decrypted exe. Carset creator recognises this and you can edit liveries and helmets. I only us this editor for helmets. REMEMBER to rename or remove the 1.00 exe and restore the patched gp4.exe by removing the "bak" suffix before you try to play.

You might want to try also GP4 edit. This is good for changing team and driver names. You can also cahnge the tyre type on your car (mclaren from bridgestone to michelin). I think it uses a decrypted 1.00 exe, not sure though.

Happy editing ;)

Larry
Date: January 29, 2003 02:12AM
Posted by: mortal
The easy way to get last years carshapes in one hit is to take a peek at the awesome cars thread :-), there you will find a full cars.wad with all the 2002 cars shapes etc and a new anim.wad for the pitcrews. Put together by AveryGPFan....Enjoy :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 29, 2003 03:45AM
Yes. I agree. AveryGPfan did a fantastic job in putting the best cars from various sources together. His new sauber shape and liveries are also great work. Start with his ready-made cars.wad + anim.wad and then make changes as and when you want to. Hopefully Dumbass's new Carset creator will be ready by then and you won't need to ,mess around with GP4master. I too can really recommend the above mentioned cars.wad (only the toyota is a little funny, cos the drivers have melted into the car- but it's still the best toyota around).

Larry
Date: January 29, 2003 09:43AM
i respect GP4Master and know that for some things (mostly wad things) it superseeds csc4 (thats why i have csc4 and gp4master on my drive) and it could have been a great app.

btw, csc4 might, just might be rdy some time this year :P

Date: January 29, 2003 11:19AM
Posted by: Go Alesi
If you use GP4 Master to edit the old GP4.exe when you are using the patched version, you will need to use perf editor to edit performance. The performance files are in the .exe.

Date: January 29, 2003 12:17PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Hmm...You are right Larry, it's the right way to use GP4Master but you can also use another tool to update a wad, a tool really easier for updating only some (less than 100) files of the wad: WadUpdater.

Here is the procedure:

1. create a new folder somewhere and put in it all the modified (and only the modified ones) files you wish to update in the wad (that suppose you already extracted the wad and modified some files before of course)
2. Open WadUpdater
3. in WadUpdater click on "select a folder" button and choose your new folder with all your modified files
4. in the field below, choose the wad to update
5. clic on the "update selected wad" button
6. close wadupdater when the progress bar has come back to 0.
7. Enjoy your new updated GP4 :)

A bit easier, no ? :)

WadUpdater can be found at the adress below my banner if you wish to try it ;-)

Date: January 29, 2003 12:24PM
Posted by: Lo2k
And for those who really like GP4Master afterall, I just asked Sven and he is ok for me to send you a GP4 1.02 (and only 1.02, not 1.0) compliant GP4Master.
If it is interesting some of you just tell me and i will put it on my ftp for download.

Date: January 29, 2003 02:30PM
Posted by: Alex13
Carset Creator. Can i use it with GP4 1.02?

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: January 29, 2003 02:52PM
not yet

Date: January 29, 2003 02:57PM
Posted by: Alex13
How soon will it be?

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy