Trouble installing 9.6 patch

Posted by JohnW 
Trouble installing 9.6 patch
Date: January 27, 2003 12:48AM
Posted by: JohnW
I have GP4 installed in a different folder than the default.

D:\games\GP4

When I try to install the official 9.6 patch, it tells me that GP4 is NOT installed on my computer. I've tried unzipping the patch to various folders, above GP4, in GP4, etc. No luck. ( The unzipping works. The installed can't find GP4. )

Any ideas ?

JohnW
Re: Trouble installing 9.6 patch
Date: January 27, 2003 02:42AM
Posted by: Glyn
I think the installer reads the location your game is installed in from the registry. Did you actually install GP4 there? Because if you moved it after installing it then this will be the problem.

The only other thing I can suggest is to open regedit. Click START>RUN and type regedit and press ENTER. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INFOGRAMES\GP4. They'll be a key there (somewhere) with the install path to GP4. If thats not right, just change it to the correct location.

If that doesnt work then I dunno.

Date: January 27, 2003 02:48AM
Posted by: mortal
The simplest solution is of course to restore your installation to its default directory and try again, if that fails or because of space constraints you are unable to do so then you must look for the thread that explains how to unpack the patch to your gp4 dir. If my memory serves me correctly a cab extractor is required to do this properly. The credits will tell you if you have been succesful by displaying the new version number. Consult with Vader or Morbid, one or the other knows the drill here or if not for sure they know who does :-) Anyway I'd be asking, "do I really need this patch?" For some users it actually creates more problems. If your GP4 is running fine and you're happy then don't patch it, if it's already running like a pig and you cannot improve it then of course you've got really nothing to lose ;-) Good luck with it m8 :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 27, 2003 08:39AM
I actually did install GP4 in the folder initially.

After reading the list of gus fixed with this patch, I thought it would be a good idea to install it. Besides, some people said it improved their performance. Of course, some did not see a speed increase.

If I do not install the patch, can I still install the unofficial "no cd" patch ? At some point, I will probably want to have different tracks to use as well.

I'll check the registry and see if there IS an install path.

JohnW
Date: January 27, 2003 03:22PM
Posted by: Morbid
You cannot install the no-cd patch for version 1.02 if you have not patched the game with the 9.6 patch. The exe file calls on information that is changed with the patch.

You can always check if the patch has been installed. If you go into the credits screen, your game should say that it is version 1.02. Also, do remember that installing the patch on a modded game is asking for big trouble. A unaltered game, or even better a clean install, is preferable.

As I see it you have two choices:

1) Either you rename your GP4 folder, and then reinstall the game in the folder you want. Then you delete the installation and rename you GP4 folder back to its old name. That way the registry settings are present and correct, and the patch should be able to find what it needs.

2) If you really can't get anything going, I would advise you to do the patching process yourself. Basically the patch is compressed with something similar to winrar or winace, and the installer is an elaborate version of a self-extractor. You can extract all the files with a program called Iscab and put them in the right location manually. It is a bit of a hassle but it should work.

You can get further information on Iscab here:

<[www.grandprix3.com];

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: January 27, 2003 11:47PM
I checked the registry and the install path is listed as I have it installed.

D:\games\GP4

It's a clean install. In fact , I uninstalled it and reloaded it.

I would really like to use the patch to get the no CD feature and fix the bugs. If I have to, I can install to the default location. I just wanted to keep games and other storage hogs in one partition and standard utils and apps in the other. ( Current partition sizes 5Gb/55GB ) I want the partition with Windows in it to be as empty as I can.

I may also look into the manual patch install.

JohnW
Date: January 28, 2003 12:04AM
I got it to install...

The trick was to put the 9.6 patch in the standard path. It wanter to be in :

C:\program files\Infrogrames

I just changed the C: to a D: and it found the game ( D:\games\Gp4 ) and installed just fine.

JohnW
Date: January 28, 2003 01:50AM
Posted by: mortal
there ya go, problem solved, but there is a no-cd exe for version 1 as well, not just for v1.02 ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 21, 2006 06:38PM
Posted by: Jolkins
Hello, could someone post here the original instalation directory? My is C:\Games\Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 ! Is it right? Well i instaled the game inthis dirctory and extracted the gp4 9,6 update and unziped in C:\Program Files\Infogrames\ Then i run the set up but again the same problem as JohnW Please help if you can. I tryed everything....
Date: April 21, 2006 09:31PM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
You can download an already patched, no-CD version of the .exe at most gp4 sites. Just put that into your main GP4 directory. :)

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Date: April 21, 2006 10:01PM
Posted by: Jolkins
Well could you give me direct link? Please....
Date: April 21, 2006 11:32PM
Posted by: ZaZ
[gp4tweaker.vadertrophy.com]
just unpack this to your gp4 folder and you'll all set :)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy