Opensource Shapes

Posted by Spike02 
Opensource Shapes
Date: January 24, 2003 11:32AM
Posted by: Spike02
I was having a conversation with Erwin Maliepaard the other day, discussing our MP4-17 shapes. He asked me to spread the word of his idea of publishing his carshapes for GP4 as Opensource.

This is a good idea in my opinion, and extremely generous of him to do that. This means that noobz to carshape editing can use his shapes as a base, or people can easily edit the shapes to suit their own needs.

The downside is that he won't map any cars anymore and leave it down to other people to do that.

Erwin requested that people post feedback on their views on his Opensource idea. So whad'yall think?

Re: Opensource Shapes
Date: January 24, 2003 12:03PM
Posted by: AveryGPFan
the important thing is to give written credit so people know a history.... Can't think straight been Zmoldering for too long!! ..but it's good to know stuff about where stuff has come from and i'm all for it. :p

Post Edited (01-24-03 19:14)

Date: January 24, 2003 12:42PM
Posted by: genesis
Seems like a great idea to me. Everywhere I look carshape creators are against people using the base of their cars, so I agree with Y that this is very generous of him, and maybe someone like me can create something half decent on GP4 now!

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: January 24, 2003 01:13PM
Posted by: Glyn
Yeah, its a very generous offer. Personally I think its a great iea, like genesis said, people will be able to tweak the models so the game can be as detailed and accurate as possible!

Date: January 24, 2003 03:23PM
Posted by: schroeder
my gp4form.txt says :

" * Copyright / Permissions *

You do not have permission to put this graphics and shapes on any commercial
CD-ROM, including PC magazines, without my prior conscent.
If you use my work as base of your own, please be fair and give me
credit. "

schroeder
Date: January 24, 2003 05:03PM
Posted by: Ellis
Im not bothered bout ppl using my stuff, its when they actaully leech it from u, make a very small change, dont ask you and give you no credit is what annoys me.

if they ask i will say yes, UNLESS the car they are going to produce will contain tabacco sponsors - i refuse to let them be put on my work

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 25, 2003 01:03PM
What amazed me is the amount of people who ignore copyright messages. A number of download sites have put my program on their site without telling me first, and thats in the copyright. Im not complaining though.

Date: January 25, 2003 01:30PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Sorry for being ignorant *Neil* but i havent heard of ur program, wot did you make? :)

Date: January 25, 2003 03:57PM
Posted by: andrew_S
What amazed me is the amount of people who ignore copyright messages

yeah we know it well, we had the problem with gp3 tracks, it effectivly ruined track creation in gp3, and now we have lots of tracks, only a few good ones (Compared with gp2)
Date: January 26, 2003 12:03PM
My program has nothing to do with GPx, or F1 for that matter. [urlhttp://glynsoft.cjb.net[/url]. Its a prog for getting your IP address, and in the version im working on now looking up IP addresses from hostnames.

Although I dont mind people breaking my copyright and posting it on their site because of the extra downloads, its better for all if I know where its listed so I can make sure every site has the latest version. It took me ages to find out which sites had which version listed, and some didnt even change it because I didnt submit the program!

Date: January 26, 2003 12:11PM
you might be able to make programs for IP address's, but u cant type HTML for sqwat

[glynsoft.cjb.net]

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 26, 2003 03:09PM
Posted by: sasjag
lol

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: January 27, 2003 02:46AM
hehe, I know :)

Im not gonna argue against that one cos I know your right. But I have a few excuses:

1) The dire colour scheme is because im colourblind, and to me looks OK. But ive had tips on how to make it better so one day ill get round to doing that.

2) The terrible HTML code is actually Dreamweaver MX's. Im not gonna dig through it cleaning it all up, and then have it rewrite it when I edit the page.

Date: January 27, 2003 06:15AM
Posted by: Vader
I don't think Ellis did hint at the layout of your site. His html remark was about you apparently being unable to type a proper URL in html code in this forum:

[urlhttp://glynsoft.cjb.net

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 27, 2003 06:52AM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
Date: January 27, 2003 12:41PM
Ah I see. Well, strictly, [ url] [ /url] isnt HTML, its forum code :)

Just being picky. Either way, my post covered any other comments :)

Date: January 27, 2003 02:29PM
Well done on spotting that one Vader, nobody else seemed too

Date: January 27, 2003 09:03PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
G'day all..

I did, but I'm a day too late, haha :P

Date: January 28, 2003 06:21AM
Posted by: Vader
great minds think alike, Mika :)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy