GP5, any news or screenshots?

Posted by tonys 
Date: January 18, 2003 07:46PM
Posted by: tonys
HI ALL,

I haven't been following or playing GP4 the past few months, and was curious to know if anyone knew of any info on GP5... is there even going to be a GP5?

Best regards,

Tony
======================
[www.ferraridomain.com]
Re: GP5, any news or screenshots?
Date: January 18, 2003 07:51PM
Posted by: raztahz
if geoff was to have one.. this will be his last

Date: January 18, 2003 08:14PM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
Screenshots? This thread has got to be a wind-up. GP4 is barely 6 months old!!!

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Date: January 19, 2003 12:39AM
Posted by: mortal
noob ;-) I don't think it's a wind up lol, obviously this chappie is unaware of the infogrames drama and all the problems with the patch etc. There will be no more gp series from microprose/infogrames. Crammond only does the physics, which aren't all that crash hot anyway. Maybe Crammond should team up with papy, then we'd have a good f1 sim ;-) but it's not likely to happen.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 19, 2003 05:09AM
Posted by: tux
hehe,

i would prefer unlimited frame rate rather then locked :P

and prefer papy physics :D

Date: January 19, 2003 05:42AM
Posted by: Ellis
i dont see the pint in ppl who wants 300fps in CS, or 100fps in Quake. GP4 is EASYplayable on 21fps, and standard TV sets are 25fps, yet ppl want 70fps in GP4, and god knows how muhc fps in first person shooters. Whats the point?

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 19, 2003 06:19AM
more fps = easyer

btw u cant get more then 99 in cs coz its capped :P

Date: January 19, 2003 07:47AM
Posted by: genesis
Dave there was a big discussion about this, about interlaced screens and stuff. A TV's FPS is not the same as a PC's monitor.

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: January 19, 2003 08:02AM
Posted by: Vader
TV signals and VGA monitors are incompatible with each other. The basic fundamentals are theoretically similar, but in application they are very different. There is a big difference in the scanning rates, CRT phosphor pitch, and overall design specs.

Normal video signals you watch on TV screen are generally in composite video or RF (antenna) formats which VGA monitor does not have any suitable inputs. The HSYNC rate of TV is 15625 Hz (for PAL and SECAM standards) or 15750 Hz (for NTSC standard). The VSYNC rate is 50 Hz (for PAL and SECAM) or 60 Hz (for NTSC). TV uses interlacing so that it shows 25 or 30 frames per seconds and shows those in to parts: one field includes all even number horizonal lines and other all odd numbered horizonal lines. Interlacing is the process of scanning 1 frame in two passes - the odd (or even) lines first and the even (or odd) lines second. This enables the low framerate of 25/29.97 to display without flickering as much on a system where the phosphors don't glow for long enough to get from top to bottom of a frame in one pass.

VGA monitor can only take RGB signals with separate sync signals (HSYNC, VSYNC). Original VGA used around 31 KHz HSYNC rate and 60-70 Hz frame rate. The whole picture is normally drawn at each screen update (no interlacing normally, can be used if wanted). The HSYNC rates and VSYNC rates have increased because of increased resolutions and need for faster screen refresh rates for less flickering. You can in real life see signal and monitor specifications in the ranges of an order HSYNC=30-65 kHz and VSYNC=50-120 Hz (those are not absolute maximums, but quite typical values graphics cards output and monitors can take).

Because of different signal formats and different screen refresh rates the picture you send to your TV and the VGA monitor wants are totally incompatible. The TV signal can be conneverted to RGB format with some electronics (some equipment designed for TVs can even output RGB), even then you can't make a steady picture to VGA screen because the refresh rates of TV signal is not compatible with what VGA monitor is capable of handling.

To be able to show TV picture on VGA screen a considerable amount of conversion is needed to convert the picture coming in in one format to other format which VGA monitor wants.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 19, 2003 09:54AM
Posted by: Orpheus

*first impression* what is he on?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: January 19, 2003 10:02AM
good knowlage there vader :)

Date: January 19, 2003 10:03AM
You meet all sorts of peole in the Netherworlds who do all sorts of things. After an eternity down here you have heard every story and know it all.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 19, 2003 10:32AM
Posted by: Xero
lol @ Vader! (again)

Date: January 19, 2003 12:51PM
Posted by: Glyn
more fps = easyer

Not really. The human eye only sees around 60fps anyway so there is no point what so ever going higher, and anything more than 30ish cant really have a clear advantage.

As to GP5, im not sure. I know on paper it aint gonna happen, but strange things can happen, and have happened before. If anything does happen though, I guess the time gap will be equal to that between GP2 and GP3. Geoff probably wants another GPx game, and as long as the team dont get other jobs it'll probably happen.

But I agree, Geoff joining Papy, WOW!

Date: January 19, 2003 03:34PM
The human eye can see more than just 60fps. A PC monitor with 60fps does flicker, whereas around 80fps it is flicker-free. (Since PC monitors are not interlaced fps=hertz)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 19, 2003 07:00PM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
yeah, but the human eye can't distinguish the flicker at 60 fps.

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Date: January 19, 2003 11:09PM
Posted by: Boils
Difference between GP4 with 30 fps and GP4 with 70fps = different numbers on the screen.

I dont think human eye can tell the difference.
Date: January 20, 2003 06:03AM
Posted by: Glyn
I dont think it can really. Its not noticable anyway. I just read something in a magazine on this subject. It was quite hard to read, but I think the jist of it was that the human eye can see no more than approx 60 fps, but a flicker rate of 60 (60Hz) irritates it, espically in the corner of the eye which is more sensative.

Date: January 20, 2003 06:05AM
Posted by: genesis
"As to GP5, im not sure. I know on paper it aint gonna happen"

I hope GP5 happens on CD meself, I havent got myself one of those A4 paper drives yet ;)

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: January 20, 2003 08:39AM
Posted by: Zcott
It's called a printer. :P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy