Yet Again...

Posted by Glyn 
Yet Again...
Date: January 18, 2003 08:47AM
Posted by: Glyn
...the free graphical updates (textures, cars etc) are better than what the developers can produce. Some of the work produced for free on the net is so much better than what ships with the game (and really, all games). If these guys did the models for games im sure modern games would be a lot better overall.

Re: Yet Again...
Date: January 18, 2003 08:57AM
Posted by: JagManDan
yeah but then the free downloads would stop
Date: January 18, 2003 10:00AM
Posted by: Larry
And the games would cost a fortune.

Date: January 18, 2003 12:06PM
Not really. If its down to the skills of the guys then they shouldnt cost more. Plus, it can be done. Many games before have had models that are of the high standard we expect.

Date: January 18, 2003 01:27PM
Posted by: Covfan
If the PC coverdiscs swallowed their pride and at least tried to get some GP4 mods on their coverdiscs (Amazingly not everybody has the internet yet). But we aren't going to have that. Instead CS V1.523212334232324.80B will be on the discs instead ;-(
Date: January 18, 2003 01:50PM
Posted by: andrew_S
problem is the game companys have to please everyone, talking about models for instance im sure they could produce something that looks amazing and has 5000 polys, + a 1600x1200 texture, problem is only about 2% of the people who buy the game would be able to use it, they have to please the majority, not only the ones with high end systems
Date: January 18, 2003 03:34PM
Posted by: Alex13
I think some people who create textures and shapes for games like GP4 should be hired from tha game creators... Like Ralph Hoummerich. Hasn't Geoff seen what this guy is doing with GP4 and did with GP3. His work is like 10 times better than the original game!

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: January 18, 2003 03:39PM
Posted by: LarryM
Let's face it guys, a big part of the fun is collecting and waiting for all those sumtious improvements by hummerich, lampert, Viper, Ellis and the rest. Sometimes I think developers make substandard graphics on purpose. What I do not undestand, is why GP4 is so f---ing difficult to edit. R. Hummerich had within a few months a complete season update for f12002 together with alternate cars shapes and liveries and drivers for every track.
GP4 is great. I wish it were easier to edit.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: January 18, 2003 03:42PM
I also with gp4 had a more "free" feel while driving.... ;)

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: January 18, 2003 04:27PM
Posted by: Vader
PC magazins do not refuse to publish mods due to pride, but due to legal issues.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 18, 2003 05:15PM
Posted by: AveryGPFan
I preferered it that GP4 wasn't complete out of the box, half the fun is in being able to DIY and it strengthens the communitty:D A collaboration effort from our top editors to bring us a visually perfect 2003 season would get me very excited indeed - and a sound editor, who knows how to decode GP4 bnk sample sounds....
Date: January 18, 2003 05:17PM
Posted by: tux
"and a sound editor, who knows how to decode GP4 bnk sample sounds...."

the dumbass is to the rescue :P

sound editor...

wait for csc4 v1 :P

bnk files...

[www.radgametools.com]

try that

Date: January 19, 2003 01:37AM
Posted by: AveryGPFan
this guy's from another world......

Date: January 19, 2003 01:43AM
Posted by: LarryM
Finnish "Pelit" magazine regularly publishes assessments of mods. It's a free world, one can write about anything..almost.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: January 19, 2003 03:44AM
Posted by: Vader
our mags release mods, too. Most of them are for FPS, like Half Life or games like The Sims, etc. They would never release a F1 mod with tabacco, since this is illegal.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 19, 2003 12:56PM
problem is the game companys have to please everyone, talking about models for instance im sure they could produce something that looks amazing and has 5000 polys, + a 1600x1200 texture, problem is only about 2% of the people who buy the game would be able to use it, they have to please the majority, not only the ones with high end systems

This could be solved though. If developers stopped insisting on releasing games on 3 CD's or more and used a DVD instead (99% of people who could play the game would have a DVD drive anyway - their loss if they dont) then they could have a hi-poly, med-poly and low-poly versions of the models so the people with less computing power could play, but the people with an Alienware PC would marvel at the models.

Date: January 19, 2003 02:22PM
Your Pc may be new and fast for now... but after a year.... Well not that fast. So i think this should be good only if you upgrade your Pc every year. My Pc was almost the best possible Pc 1.5 year ago. Now? It's just another low cost computer that anyone could buy. And also creating more game mods should cost more money and the creators, believe me they don't want that! I only thik they should hire more talented stafff

Date: January 20, 2003 02:13AM
Posted by: AliMurray
Imagine this:

You pay a builder to build you a house, he does a lovely job and you are very happy with it - the roof doesn't leak, the central heating works just fine, and he's finished it all off with a coat of magnolia paint throughout. He builds the whole house in 2 months, on time and within budget so your are happy.

You then move in, and decide to decorate one of the rooms - you spend 2 weeks doing just that room, and the finished result is fabulous - wonderful colours, beautiful finishing, no drips.

It's just the same with GP4 - no-one could convincingly argue the graphics aren't excellent out of the box, but there's much much to the game than car paint jobs. It's no surprise to me that if someone spends weeks or months working on those alone they can do a better job, but its just not going to be viable for the developers to spend so much time on it.

Ali
Date: January 20, 2003 03:10AM
Posted by: Larry
That's just what I meant when I said the game would cost a fortune. If you count the time spent on un-official add-ons, even at minimum wage it would add up to an astronomical cost. Maybe you're just unaware of how much time people spend on these works.

Date: January 20, 2003 06:09AM
I do see what your saying, and whatever the game shipped with you'd be able to download more detailed stuff, so the line has got to stop somewhere, but I do think though developers could make the models slightly more detailed. The little things make all the difference really.

If it did come down to cost though, I'd go the mods any day, but in some games like GP4, editing the game is very difficult. If the game was easily editable then there would be more people making mods. You can have some great modellers, and graphic designers, but if they cant understand the complex way a game uses the models they havent a chance. If this was made less complicated so it was like GPL, there would be more new stuff to download out, which would be a good thing for us and the devlopers as more people would play the game for longer. That gets a bigger interest, so when they release another game people will hopefully buy that. A good example of this is FPS games. They even ship with the editors in some cases!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy