Is the GP 4 community missing a golden opportunity to grow?

Posted by murkz 
Is the GP 4 community missing a golden opportunity?

I am a on off GP4 player and I have enjoyed all the gp series in a start stop kind of manner. Added the latest mods and enjoyed the work of the creators.

I have seen sites come and go and have a sense of relief when my favourite sites are still here.

With the release of f1 2010 I have again revisited gp4, as for me it is still the benchmark f1 sim.

I see all the beautiful screen shots of the new cars and tracks and then get totally dismayed by the overwhelming work load to actually use them, this is the dilemma of gp4

Here in lies the issue, as a completely new person to gp4 the whole modding things is far to complicated for a new person interested in playing gp4 in all it's glory.

If the gp4 elite can get together and make it much simpler for the new guys that have come into f1 through codemasters and other racing sim's, then the community will grow.

A single download with new cars and tracks is what is needed as you guys are fully aware of. A modder that creates a vehicle/track and then refuses to let it be part of a season pack is not doing the community any favours. They may as well not bother as the gp4 savy are the only guys that can use it and is of no benefit to the community as a whole but just fanning the creators ego.

My hope is this will cause a debate and hopefully a few of the gp4 elite will get together and make the whole season updating much easier than it is. Saying that it is easy now is not the answer. I can tell you it is not.

To much stuff to work through, to many failures, leads to frustration and a lost member of the community. Let them go you might say. You may as well say let the community die.
GP4 has and always will be difficult to update, although with the advent of CSM it has made things a lot easier. I do agree with you that it is difficult to work with, however if it was a snack, would the simulation be as good? Perhaps not. The members here go out of their way to help 'newbies' and get them up and running, and if they cannot make the effort to put in a bit of work to mod their GP4 there's little else anyone can do really.
As for a GP4 elite, I was unaware there was or is one lol. Some of the members here are right now working on a database site for the community here to upload their work to, perhaps making it available to a wider group of people. Many others have given their time to write comprehensive tutorials on how to use CSM and insert cars to a wad. Granted, one needs to have computer skills and some patience but we all know the effort is worth it.
This site has been here for ten years, and a lot of the users migrated here with the demise of alphaf1 (aaah those were the days :-)), so I doubt we've missed any 'golden opportunities' as you put it.
It is a modders choice how they distribute their work, and it is enough that they do it, and do it for free. If they prefer their work to be uploaded as single cars and not in a season pack, it is their choice, and who are we to dictate terms?
I have lost count how many times people have said GP4 is dead, it was dead when rFactor was released, it was dead before Codemasters 2010 was released, and what do we see now? Already the Codies cars are being converted because the AI in the Codie release are craptacular. I'm not talking from experience there, I have only read the reviews on it here, and I'll be saving my money!
You are quite correct in saying GP4 is the benchmark for F1 simulation, and until Geoff Crammond brings out another one, it will remain so. Thanks for your comments, they are always welcome. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Thank you for the reply mortal and my post is not meant to be a negative post but more of a discussion from a returning guy to gp4. It is overwhelming to try to get the game up to the latest level. No one said you have missed the golden opportunity and I did not say gp4 was dead.

I am simply pointing out that as it stands gp4 is a nightmare for a new guy to get up and running as the regulars/old hands (elite) have there game running. There are tutorials and those are very much appreciated and the effort of those users that created them. My point is there needs to be an easier way :)
for example,I gave up gp4 after days of frustration in trying to get the game work smoothly with the lowest details.Too bad a laptop cant have an external graphics card.
just waiting for my new pc.

Kimi forever!
Yes, I know what you mean. Unfortunately there really isn't an easy way of doing it. I still have nightmares myself with it, but when I slide into the simulator seat and take it for a spin, it seems to make all that effort worthwhile. A bit like karma, you get back what you put in lol. :-)
If people want help, they only have to ask, and that's what we are here for, to help others enjoy the game. It's not all bad, there's a lot of user created tools that can and do make things a lot simpler, however for a new user, it is a big ask for them to get their head around it all and it can be complex at times.
The reality is we do not have access to the source code, if we did, some of the developers we have here like Laurent (Lo2k) and Ron (Zaz maker of CSM) could do wonders. Having said that, CSM, and not forgetting gpx_patch of course, is the best thing that has happened for GP4 since sliced bread was invented!
How difficult is it to download CSM, and a CSM Mod of your choice and let CSM do the insertion and start GP4 fully up to date? Too easy!
There are in existence, numerous 'private' 2010 mods that some users may be willing to share, you just have to ask the right people is all. Look around the forum for some clues if you are looking for that.
btw, I'm not one of them. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
You're right, gp4 is currently too hard to update. I'm getting involved with the new database mortal mentions and have some ideas on how we can take advantage of this new site to make modding easier.
GP4 isn't hard to update at all... extract wad, copy, paste, compress wad, and off you go... adding a new car takes maybe 5 mins tops :S And adding tracks is mighty easy using TSM. I fail to see how it could be any easier :S

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
ooleeeo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> for example,I gave up gp4 after days of
> frustration in trying to get the game work
> smoothly with the lowest details.Too bad a laptop
> cant have an external graphics card.
> just waiting for my new pc.

Hey, ooleeeo.
I also play in my laptop. If you want, I can send you my graphics file. I can play pretty well with most detail on and at 30fps. :-)
ok jucksman.
my email address-majumdar.aritra20@gmail.com

Kimi forever!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy