trouble with cars.wad over 1GB

Posted by rohan2302 
trouble with cars.wad over 1GB
Date: August 14, 2010 03:25AM
Posted by: rohan2302
There has been a noticeable drop in performance since my last round of updates which increased the cars.wad file from 941MB to 1.02GB. i realize that even 941MB is a bit too bloated but now i am experiencing choppy frame rates in certain places that previously did not have frame rate issues.
I have been installing new car models etc. one by one as and when new stuff is released. Am i updating the wrong way? will it help to make all the updates together from one folder containing all the files or should i just go back to an old shadow copy and then update it with the new stuff ? is there something i can do to reduce the file size? i have a feeling the solution is going to be quite tedious..
Re: trouble with cars.wad over 1GB
Date: August 14, 2010 03:49AM
Posted by: Lex
Wow, 1.02GB! My biggest cars.wad used to have around 200MB, and I thought it was too much!

It's been a long time since I've last played GP4, but IIRC you should let in your cars.wad only the tex files that are used by the models you are currently playing. Yes, the solution is quite tedious: you have to check the names of the .tex files being used and remove the rest, but be careful not to remove other things. Or you can just get a fresh cars.wad and update it with the lastest stuff. Yeah, this'll be easier.

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять
Date: August 14, 2010 10:03AM
Posted by: LWC
ive had wads over a gig in the past and all was fine, just make sure you have deleted all un-used texture files

RaceSimsPitstop

Game Screens
Date: August 14, 2010 12:22PM
Posted by: rohan2302
Thanks for the suggestions.
I think i am going to get rid of the unused tex files from my exisiting wad file instead of installing everything all over again since i do not have all the installation files for all the cars, helmets etc.

UPDATE: Got it down to 496MB. Wasn't as complicated as i thought it would be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 05:00PM by rohan2302.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy