which is more realistic?

Posted by LarryM 
which is more realistic?
Date: December 30, 2002 08:03AM
Posted by: LarryM
Now that I am really turned on to GP4 and hardly ever drive F12002 (My son still prefers F12002), I decided to poke around and see if any REAL F1 driver has driven either of the games. Jenson Button is renowned for, among other things, playing pc- and video games. So I finally found comments on the PS version of F12001. Read it for yourselves:

[ps2.ign.com]

And that is the older version (2001) and the less advanced playstation edition.

Having read this, I began to wonder whether F1 cars are actually supposed to feel so slippery. I guess so. F12002 beats GP4 on one major area: Force feedback. If you have the game try driving around eg. Spa, the damned wheel the graphics and the sound bumping and churning in some of those critical corners ( Rivage,Fagnes and Stavelot in particular) feels very very credible. Having said this, I find that I can best drive GP4 in the gears and at the speeds given by real F1 drivers although I cannot match their times (I use no aids). With F12002 I can match/ beat the 2002 poles on a few and come close on many, but I then I can also drive in a gear or two higher in some corners. This may be the inaccuracies in the track layout for some tracks. Actually many of the tracks are (except for some details) about the same as in Gp4.

I like driving GP4 and will continue to do so. The tracks (accuracy) and the graphics on full ...and those beautiful playbacks. The Physics are at least close. Ok the question: Does anyone know of a REAL f1 driver who has driven GP4 and given in depth comments? Don't mention Webber..so far as I know he hasn't actually played the game...so far as I know.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Re: which is more realistic?
Date: December 30, 2002 08:14AM
Posted by: Ellis
Mark Webber said this

[www.grandprix3.com]

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: December 30, 2002 11:51AM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
I have both and I can tell you GP4 looks and feels better. F1 2002 feels like bald tires on wet pavement without any help on but GP4 is much better which I think real F1 is like.

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: December 30, 2002 12:43PM
Posted by: Morbid
Based on the interview on his website, there is no reason at all to claim that he hasn't played GP4. If anything, the only thing that really can be concluded is that he doesn't play it any more.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: December 30, 2002 12:48PM
Posted by: Glyn
I personally think the difference is down to personal feel. Unless you have actually driven an F1 car you cant really make a decision. I know someone here has driven a single seater (forget who) and he says GP4 is a lot more realistic.

Play the game you enjoy more.

Date: December 30, 2002 01:24PM
Posted by: Vader
Yes it is.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 30, 2002 03:10PM
I'm not arguing, honestly guys. I really like the feel of GP4. It looks better and it goes round the track terrifically...at least with my specifications (better after overclocking the GEF3ti200 up to 410/275).

I'm just interested, because F12002 is harder to drive, but, cos I have had a lot of practice with F12002, I can drive most tracks faster. GP4 I have driven for 2 hours a day for over 2 months (and my wife is going to kill me). It looks soooo beautiful and when you are in, you are in.

BTW, Zonta also tried out the pc version of F12001. Apparently he mumbled something about too much oversteer, went away, came back set up the car and set the best lap time of the day. When asked about the game, he said something like "yes, it behaves like a real f1, but I get a feel for the car in real life, which is missing here" Well, of course there are no G-forces but also that beta version (and also the initial retail version of F12001) had no force feedback. That came - with a vengeance- with the patch.

Now, I don't know how much Webber has played GP4... If I were him, I wouldn't be that interested in any game, considering I could drive the real thing (even a Minardi) and get paid for doing it. I am pretty certain, he cannot have driven F12002. Whichever game is better, is open for argument, but F12002 is definitely not rubbish. Was it Vader who said, that the perfect game could be found by combining the best of these two games? Anyway, there are only 2 to choose from. And yes, when I start my engine next time, it will be the genuine whine of GC's racing car, with the wrong steering wheel and a condomy kind of feeling in the steering. But love will tolerate little faults and even the compulsory use of a condom. I will however watch with leacherous interest the coming of F12003.

BTW, does anybody know about tweaking the FF effects? I'd like to have a go.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: December 30, 2002 09:16PM
Posted by: Morbid
"condomy kind of feeling"....... LoL! Gr8!

Regarding the FF, there should be a FF strength tweaker util somewhere around here.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: December 30, 2002 09:25PM
The funny thing about it is that FF is the name of a German condom brand.

I don't use them, though. They are not hot lava proof

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 30, 2002 09:53PM
Me neither. Not for over 20 years. FF is really a condom brand? You're kidding me. Oh well, its an FF joystick which first drew my attention to this particular association. It was one of the few game things that even my wife could relate to.

Anyway back to reality: Someone who is closer to our level of experience might be Nico Rosberg. He is 17 and got to drive an FW24 for 30+ laps. His comments are interesting:
His neck and arms were finished by the end of the session, which is understandable... back to the gym. That's what I call FF.
More interestingly he said that the first couple of laps felt "unreal, like playing a Playstation game". Hmmm. I wonder which F1 game Nico plays on his PS. In anycase, it seems to indicate that the noticeably easier-to-drive GP4 may be closer to reality.

On another point: F12002 has been given credit for its unparalleled "feeling of speed". I understand this, its a combination of excellent ff, reasonable graphics (even if the pc is not top end) and the sound of "wind?" and whatever in addition to the engine and tyres. Now, GP4 struck me as being very slow..at first. After patching and setting up the game properly I can run at 1280 x 1024 with everything on full (including dynamic env. mapping)and the feeling of speed- even in a race- is at least as good as F12002, probably better. The problem with GP4 is the CPU demands. If your processor doesn't have what it takes, the framerate doesn't get jerky, because the game tries to keep it "smooth". This means very very slooooow (smooth) movements and a huge delay in control response. The game is undriveable. Once I got the game configured I OC:ed my Graphics card and fell in love with this game.

Give me one of those FFs, will you Vader?

Larry
Date: December 31, 2002 04:30AM
Posted by: Lo2k
If you search for a GP4 FF tweaker, you can use mine which is compatible with all decrypted GP4 versions and allows you to use FF power at 127% instead of 100.
It's there: [realgpx.free.fr]

Else, another FF tweaker allows you to push FF to extrem limits (maybe even to failure, beware) but i don't know if it is compatible with v1.02.
It's name is GP4 tweaker but i don't know where you can find it as its author has no website.

cheers.

Date: December 31, 2002 07:13AM
Yeh, thanks. I am already using your FF-tweaker, gives a nice punch. Good work.However what I was thinking of, is how to add effects in certain circumstances. I'll snoop around.

Larry
Date: December 31, 2002 09:24AM
Posted by: Glyn
another FF tweaker allows you to push FF to extrem limits (maybe even to failure, beware)

You mean failure of your wheel?

Date: December 31, 2002 09:34AM
Larry M
I'm not going to place adds here, but if you look at the name of the company (over the "FF" in the oval circle*) you can easily find them on google.

* yes, I know, a circle is not oval.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 31, 2002 10:58AM
Posted by: Larry
Larry M, I doubt that adding FF effects is a simple task. But, you can check out the Immersion website at:
[www.immersion.com]
They are responsible for the FF coding that our games use and have Software Development Kits.

Date: January 01, 2003 03:18AM
Posted by: raztahz
also ask juan pablo montoya....he plays ea's f1 2002

Date: January 01, 2003 03:33AM
Where did you read this? JPM plays f12002? I would love to hear these guys opinion on both games.

Larry
Date: January 01, 2003 11:39AM
So it seems JP Montoya plays F12002. Listen up all of you who have both games and use ff. When you want to play F2002, go to controller set up(control panel) and click the centring spring to on. Then make sure that in the f12002 controller settings that the force feedback sensitivity is set to MINUS 100. This is weird, I know, but setting ff sensitivity to a plus figure (at least for logitech MOMO) is probably why the game seems almost undriveable.

Traction control at "off" or "low" and you will see why it feeels more real. If you don't believe this, watch your videos of last years gps. See howw jerky those cars are (except ferrari).. Wtach the T-camera views and watch how much work those drivers really need to do to keep those cars on the track.

GP4 is also nice. I wish I could merge these 2 games.

Larry
Date: January 01, 2003 11:51AM
Posted by: LS.
these are taken from highgear forums

Mark Webber on GrandPrix 4:

Yeah, I've tried most of the ones that have come out. The best one is Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4. All the others are pretty much rubbish and aren't realistic enough.

Quote from gamecenter.com's review of Microprose's Grand Prix 2 : "The man who captured the pole position at the [real-life 1996] Belgian Grand Prix, Jacques Villeneuve, credited his quick learning curve on a circuit he had never even seen before to a few hours on this incredibly authentic simulation. When you consider that [Jacques Villeneuve] the real-life polesitter for this race only managed to qualify 18th on the simulation, you start to develop a healthy respect for the challenge and complexity of Grand Prix 2."
-----------
My favorite games right now are old ones, Grand Prix 2 and GP Legends--they are awesome! (Juan Pablo Montoya)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: January 01, 2003 01:48PM
Wow :O

Larry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy