Slipstream

Posted by Fergy 
Slipstream
Date: June 16, 2010 08:36AM
Posted by: Fergy
I've been testing the Slipstream effect in Tweaker and after reading the FAQ here I thought I would look into the effect some more. I would be very interested your opinions.

My Opinion of Slipstream:

My first understanding of this effect is Front and Rear wing drag, the effect is measured in percent 0-100. High Altitude e.g. Brazil would be around 10% effect and at Sea Level e.g. Melbourne around 50%. When you set your Front and Rear wing effect to 100% can clearly see the effect, your top speed drops considerably and the opposite effect when you set to 10% as your top speed increases considerably.

This is my opinion of Front and Rear wing effect after a lot of testing:

Sea Level Track's 30-40%

Bahrain, Melbourne, Malaysia, Monaco, Montreal, Valencia, Singapore, Korea (not sure) Suzuka and Abu Dahbi.

100 to 300 meters above Sea Level 20-30%:

Barcelona, Silverstone, Hockenheim, Budapest and Monza

300 -500 meters above Sea Level 10-20%:

Istanbul and Spa

500-700 meters above Sea Level 10%:

Interlagos

The 3rd effect Overall Aerodynamic Drag I have some issues with and would be interested in your opinions on it as I don't really feel any large effect. 1-15% seems to be it's working range.

That's my take on Slipstream so far, maybe it's of use to someone and I hope we can add more info to it.

Fergy

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2010 01:45PM by Fergy.
Re: Slipstream
Date: June 16, 2010 11:35AM
Posted by: fongu
Thanks, I think that's useful :)

Date: June 16, 2010 08:04PM
Posted by: Madman271
Fergy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been testing the Slipstream effect in Tweaker
> and after reading the FAQ here I thought I would
> look into the effect some more. I would be very

I'm curious about the FAQ you've been mentioned.
Is it the FAQ on the sticky forum?

Fergy Wrote:
> 50%. When you set your Front and Rear wing effect
> to 100% can clearly see the effect, your top speed
> drops considerably and the opposite effect when
> you set to 10% as your top speed increases
> considerably.

As you can see in slipstream.ini file, all default values (both front and rear settings) are set to 50 which is mean of "mid" factor producing default calculation for slipstream effect. Values less than 50 mean the aerodynamics receive more drag and less downforce, makes the car runs faster but loose grip and control. Greater than 50 produce opposite results, less drag and more downforce. Adjusting both values (front and rear) should produce considerable slipstream effect that affecting car's aerodynamics calculation while following behind other car(s) at varying distances. That's why with the same values, the effect could slightly different when following other car(s) at far behind and near behind.

Fergy Wrote:
> The 3rd effect Overall Aerodynamic Drag I have
> some issues with and would be interested in your
> opinions on it as I don't really feel any large
> effect. 1-15% seems to be it's working range.

The third parameter -- overall aerodynamics, used to adjust the control of slipstream feels that produced by both of previous parameters. Their values may vary but could be useless if not set properly depending to the values we're given to front and rear drag. The purpose of this parameter is to adjust the aerodynamics calculation to gain car control during slipstream area. More values given, more control we achieved -- which is not too realistic. It is advisable to not set a value to this parameter more than 10, unless we use unusual settings on both front and rear drag.

Fergy Wrote:
> That's my take on Slipstream so far, maybe it's of
> use to someone and I hope we can add more info to
> it.

IMHO, slipstream should be a benefit for overtaking at straight line with the cost of less control and loose grip, and a disaster when overtaking at corners. However this is only my personal assumption. I must admit most of the values from those three parameters require trial and error to get considerable effects, depend on our purpose and personal taste. However it's fun to play with them. ;)

In reality, doesn't matter who's right but most important is who's left.
Date: June 16, 2010 11:06PM
@madman, yes I found this in GP4 FAQ's about halfway down the Useful links guide
GP4 Tweaker on Slipstream
It's good reading but I thought I would try to compile some figures together mainly out of interest but hopefully for others to try out as a base in the right direction. Thx for your great input, I can use this for an accurate guide when I have some final figures.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2010 11:12PM by Fergy.
Date: June 17, 2010 01:48AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I know from Prblanco that "air resistance" in the magic data is also linked to altitude.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 17, 2010 11:25AM
Posted by: TeamBPR
Yeah Schueyfan, it's all linked to altitude/air pressure and therefore aerodynamic efficiency - the Air Resitance in the Magic is a great way to change on wing settings for AI and Player affect the actual speed, so if you and the AI are not hitting max RPM at say, Monza, you can just increase the "Air Resistance" to make the cars effectively more aerodynamically efficient.

Note though that (I'm pretty sure..) increasing the "Air Resistance" in Magic Data actually DEcreases the air resistance making the cars more efficient i.e. more speed for the same amount of wing. So really this field should be called "Aero Efficiency" or something...
Date: June 17, 2010 01:04PM
Posted by: ChrisJ
So, since we got that fabulous slipstream tweak with GP4Tweaker, wouldn't that actually also open the door for compiling the F-duct system and making it operable in the car?
Maybe madman could bring some light into it, but I presume it would maybe be possible to map slipstream-adjustments to a button in game and thus simulating the F-duct.

regards
chris
Date: June 17, 2010 05:44PM
That's a good point actually! I wonder if you could set the Slipstream effect to a high setting when you press a button.. that would be cool! :)
Date: June 17, 2010 06:15PM
Thinking about it...I'm not sure whether this would rather be something to implement via GPxPatch's In-Car-Setup-Changes since the F-duct primarily has nothing to do with slipstream but a significant reduction of rear wing drag/air resistance, so changing downforce setting on rear wing is the actual key to imitating the F-duct. But still, I'm curious about madman's response! :)

kind regards
chris
Date: June 17, 2010 08:23PM
True... although the f-Duct rechannels air of course... in effect creating an artificial "slipstream" situation over the rear wing... so it could be either..! Same end result! :)

Another reason why GP4 is awesome and the way it's been developped by the community - love it!
Date: June 17, 2010 10:38PM
It's all very interesting, this is a complicated part of gp4 and setting it up can take some time. A question, can I adjust magic data from the folder in gp4 or do you have to use the cmagic exe. I'm not 100% on selecting the correct folder path e.g. GP4 track file is? Magic data file I assume is the folder now in gp4 directory.
Date: June 18, 2010 03:08AM
Considering the F-Duct is going to be banned in 11 races time, I don't know if its worth the effort to create it for GP4 ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 18, 2010 08:28AM
Posted by: fongu
well, we need a kers button then!

Date: June 18, 2010 09:51AM
SchueyFan schrieb:
> Considering the F-Duct is going to be banned in 11
> races time, I don't know if its worth the effort
> to create it for GP4 ;)

Well, we'll see an adjustable rear wing introduced next year though and technically that's just what we're talking about already while considering the F-duct. :)

regards
chris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 10:09AM by ChrisJ.
Date: June 18, 2010 01:24PM
That isn't confirmed yet

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 18, 2010 02:06PM
Posted by: vesuvius
What about developing kers-system? it will be back next year:)
Date: June 23, 2010 09:37PM
SchueyFan schrieb:
> That isn't confirmed yet

Now it is!

regards
chris
Date: June 23, 2010 10:43PM
great news:-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy