accelerated sound,can u use it?

Posted by RichE 
accelerated sound,can u use it?
Date: December 01, 2002 10:35AM
Posted by: RichE
I have to play with all sound options de-selected even 2D,otherwise Po will jump from 80-90 to 300 for about a second at various parts of the lap causing the framerate to drop and the game slows right down.I even bought an Audigy 2 to solve the problem but it still remains.I tried going back to windows 98se from Me but that didnt help.Has anybody got 3D and EAX working without these problems and if so what OS are you using?Any ideas or is it just the game as EAX is fine in soldier of fortune 2.With the sound options de-selected i get 40fps at 1200 res and max detail so apart from that the game runs fine.

Athlon XP2000
Asus A7V333
Gf4 4600
Audigy 2
256Mb Pc2700
Act-labs Force Rs
Re: accelerated sound,can u use it?
Date: December 01, 2002 12:26PM
Posted by: Morbid
This is from the official GP4 FAQ

"

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: December 01, 2002 01:13PM
Morbid,i cant open the faq as i get an error message.Also being an Audigy 2 i haven,t been able to find an updated driver of yet,but thanks for the reply.Can you run 3D and eax,if so what OS do you run.
Date: December 01, 2002 01:21PM
Yes I can. I have the SBLive! 1024 player, and I use Winme. Perhaps someone with the same soundcard as you will pop in?

Date: December 01, 2002 01:36PM
Posted by: Covfan
In the GP4 sound opitions 2D Accelaration sound is selectable but when I select it then leave the sound opition then re-enter it the box is then unselected.
Date: December 01, 2002 02:10PM
This isnt just an Audigy problem Morbid it was the same with onboard sound,must be something else.Mark, if i have got sound acceleration turned down in windows,the same happens to me.
Date: December 01, 2002 02:11PM
Sorry just thought of a ps.Morbid,how much ram are you running with Me?
Date: December 01, 2002 02:21PM
Posted by: AthProject
I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy (1) and a PCI 128 under Win XP and Win 98se with default drivers, on a VIA KT133A system, no problem at all
3D multi-speaker accelerated sound, good PO.

It may be a chipset-related problem, some Creative cards can cause much trouble in combination with a VIA chipset (not in my case). Be sure to install the latest VIA 4in1 drivers package.
Date: December 01, 2002 02:45PM
No problems in any other games AthProject.How much ram you got?,i,m thinking my 256 may not be enough and occasionally there is a shortfall causing these lags.
Date: December 01, 2002 03:44PM
384 megs. But I don't think that is your problem. My system has plenty of physical memory left when running GP4.

Date: December 01, 2002 04:31PM
Posted by: Roly
Athlon xp2000
512meg 2100 ddram
Gainward Geforce 3 Ti500 64 meg
Soundblaster 5.1 player
40 gig hdd udma 133-7200

I've only recently put an extra 256 of ram in,so was only using 256 meg. The sound card is the "cheap" version 5.1.
Even before I added the extra ram I was only getting a p.o. of about 75 with 3d and eax turned on, 1024x786,and just about everything on high or highest,except for bump mapping(whatever the f*ck that is!) 35 fps.
My main improvement was upgrading my graphics card from an MX version to what I've got now.It just seemed to help everything in the game.
Date: December 01, 2002 07:47PM
Posted by: Larry
I have the SB Live! Value and lose only 1fps with EAX. I run WinME with 256MB ram. I have the most recent SB drivers for WinME which are not really that recent.

Just a stab in the dark here but is your onboard sound disabled in your bios. My MB gives me a choice between Auto and Disable. By default it's on Auto but they suggest putting it on Disable in case of a conflict.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy