x,y and z axis (Morbid)

Posted by mortal 
x,y and z axis (Morbid)
Date: November 30, 2002 09:24PM
Posted by: mortal
Hi there m8, I think there was a post on this but maybe I'm mistaken, anyway with a 9.6 decrypted exe my ferrari thrustmaster now no longer gives y and z axis for accell and brake. They are now both on the same axis. ;-/ I had a look at the link you passed out for the faq but I cant open the doc for some reason and the pdf link from this site is dead. I've pretty much tried everything but maybe there's something I've missed somewhere. Over to you ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: x,y and z axis (Morbid)
Date: November 30, 2002 10:04PM
btw, they are already set to separate axis within control panel.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 30, 2002 10:47PM
Posted by: Morbid
This is strange indeed. And I do understand why you are confused. I hope that it brings a tiny bit of solace, that the link that you cannot open wouldn't have helped you in this case anyway.

Basically your problem is this: You would think that if you got your brake and throttle on the same axis when you installed the 9.6 patch and no-cd, then you would have good reason to believe that you should change this in GP4, right?

But its just that. GP4 doesn't map the axes (plural for axis?) to the controllers. They are mapped by Windows, sometimes in the game controllers menu, but most often by a piece of software that comes with the controller. You have to set the map axes that you want to use to the controller, before you fire up GP4 and create your controller file.

I have no experience with thrustmaster products, so I offer how it works on a MS wheel as an example instead. A MS wheel uses the sidewinder software to configure the axes. The software integrates with and expands the game controllers menu. When you click "properties" for the wheel, in the game controllers menu, you get a popup menu with 4 sections. Under "settings" you get the option to configure the wheel to "combined" or to "seperate" pedal mode. Choosing "combined" places both the throttle and the brake on the same axis (y), and choosing seperate maps throttle to (y) and brake to (Irz). But take note: you never actually get to see which axes gets mapped to which pedal!

So in your case, IF you had an MS wheel, the case would be crystal clear: your pedals would be set to combined, and you would need to change this to seperate mode. I must assume that you need to do something similar with your ferrari Thrustmaster to assign two seperate axes to the pedals. But do to my lack of experience with said manufacturer and products, I cannot tell you exactly WHAT you need to do. Maybe your controller manual has something on this? If not, then hopefully this link can help you:

[europe.thrustmaster.com]

Anyway, when the axes are mapped properly, that is each pedals has its own axis, you need to figure out which pedal uses which axis. This was what the link was supposed to help people figure out. Many find it rather hard to do this, but I actually find it is very user friendly menu, once you have figured out how it works.

Go into the advanced controller menu, and click on the throttle/brake section. Choose a controller for the throttle, in this case it will be the controller that is on ID1, which is controller A. So having clicked on controller A, the menu changes. The new menu is list of all the buttons and axes that GP4 supports whether your controller can handle them or not. Depress you throttle pedal and which how one of the sliders responds to your controller input. THAT is the axis that is mapped to you throttle pedal. Select that axis, and repeat the same procedure for the brake pedal. A peice of cake. You can also map buttons to specific functions in the same way. By selecting "pit in", "TC" or "LC" you can check out which buttons on your controller you want to use for these selections.

btw, I dunno how applying the nocd can revert your pedal configuration to the same axis. GP4 shouldn't be able to influence this at all. But judging by some of the reports on the first no-cd exe that was available for the patch, it might very well be that you are right. It could be that removal of the cd-check just damaged some coding on the controller configuration code and thus the dodgy behaviour. Anyway, perhaps using the no-cd here on <www.grandprixgames.com> might fix the problem if nothing else seems to work.

I hope my post, while long, is crystal clear and exhaustive (and not exhausting ;) ). If its not, then plz do say so ;). And remember to report back. I have a gut feeling that you might not be the only one that is having problems with this...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: November 30, 2002 11:03PM
Posted by: Larry
I guess you meant [www.grandprixgames.org]. For a second there,I thought I was on the alphaf1 forum. ;)

Date: November 30, 2002 11:05PM
Damn, don't you just h8 it when ppl post, while you are working on a post? The first part of my post is pretty redundant now, LoL.

This is really odd indeed. GP4, decrypted or not, shouldn't have the ability to tinker with your mapping of axes to a controller in Windows.

Anyway, I don't know if you have seen this but there are similar reports of the No-cd screwing up the controller. Check out this thread:

[www.grandprix3.com]

Having to reinstall like Vader did isn't a nice prospect. If you still have the original 9.6 exe, you could try to use that for a session or two, to determine for sure, if it IS the no-cd that is creating the problems. Maybe it is possible to create a controller file that can be loaded once the no-cd is put back into service...

Date: November 30, 2002 11:06PM
Yes Larry. Thx for catching my slipup.

Date: November 30, 2002 11:08PM
Posted by: Larry
BTW, if the decrypted no-cd exe gives you problems, you can always try the one on gamecopyworld.com. Even though it's exactly the same size as the others, it has a different CRC32 number. I don't know if that means it's different in any other way but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Date: December 01, 2002 12:08AM
Thanks for that Morbid, I was kind of on the right track, I've already been to Thrustmaster and have downloaded the 7.3mb installer file for the Thrustmapper software. I have created a GP4 Preset wich has forced the pedals to separate axis, ie: accel is z and brake is y. Then I set Thrustmapper to manual mode so this config preset would be permanent within Win98SE, I can use this same preset for GP3_2000, GPL, Toca2, TIR, V8Challenge, NFS and F1-2001 I expect but further testing will prove if this preset is ok for the other sims. Checking the preset in control panel shows the axis to be separate and working just fine. Therefore one would assume that GP4 would find this on loading but no, this is not so! I have reverted to the v9.6 patch exe as you suggested, (not a problem to fiddle with inserting the cd, although I was using a no_cd.exe) I have checked version number and it shows 1.02. In the GP4 controller config menu I have both accel and brake on y axis and no option to force accel to z which I believe is where it should be. Over to you ;-)

Date: December 01, 2002 12:42AM
Jeez... Could it be that the patch does not support seperate axis for Ferrari Thrustmaster products? **hm-dee-dum* **goes to check the Wheel readme for the patch** *dee-dum-dee-da*

Note the "no" and "yes" answers refers to FF support.

Thrustmaster Ferrari 360 Modena Pro Wheel No
Thrustmaster Ferrari Force Feedback Racing Wheel Yes The option

Date: December 01, 2002 12:47AM
Yes my friend, I have read that :-), the yes and no is rather strange and confusing isn't it, and mine is the Thrustmaster Ferrari 360 Modena Pro Wheel.

Date: December 01, 2002 12:57AM
Think I will go with a new post seeking Thrustmaster Modena Pro users and see what comes back, what do you reckon? Do you think this is in the exe? I reverted to the v1 exe and immediately I had the 3 axis back in the right places x=steering, z= accel and y= brake <sigh>, could this be hacked with a hex editor? I haven't got a clue myself about this sort of arcane knowledge but just a thought. Might have a word with Harry Potter ;-)

Date: December 01, 2002 01:16AM
Okay. I must admit that I am rather baffled. But okay, we are not totally marooned. At least we can be sure that your wheel should be able to do it right since the Thrustmaster staff have done it, the no-cd is not to blame, and your settings in the game controllers menu in windows are correct.

With the above knowledge we can conclude, that your problems MUST be caused be something in GP4. Hopefully, it is a setting that we can change. Assuming that it is, I recommend that your try the following tips. Give em a whirl, and a bit of feedback.

1) Use the advanced menu in order to configure your own controls and then

Date: December 01, 2002 01:20AM
Oh, I forgot one. Make sure that your wheel is set to ID1 in the game controller menu in windows. GP3 and GP4 gets grumpy when you use other ID's even though it should support it. Many people with joysticks and wheels get nailed on this one.

Date: December 01, 2002 01:24AM
Way ahead of you M, done all of that, it just refuses to give me the z axis! This is in any config, hang on, just a thought, going to test a gameport joystick and see what happens, I'll be back ;-)

Date: December 01, 2002 01:25AM
Okay-dokey...

Date: December 01, 2002 01:36AM
No go, windows can't see it as I'm now using usb compliant game device drivers ;-/, I dont want to strip the drivers just to get windows to see the crappy soundcard plugged joystick. As you say it must be something in gp4, it just cannot see the separate axis although they are definately there in controller options, sheesh. I have done the steps 1 and 2 and in the setup drop down axis menus I get for accel A, (keyboard) Controller B and the [Y] axis only. The needed Z does not exist. The brake setup menu is identical. Perhaps as more users view this thread some more interesting thoughts on this might come to light.

Date: December 01, 2002 01:49AM
You might be right that the (Morbid) in the topic header is holding valuable input away from this thread. However, I have done some research and thought up a few questions.

First of all, I have browsed through all the major GP4 forums around. While a lot have reported problems getting the pedals to work after patching the game, no one seem to report that there is a problem that is specifically related to your wheel or Thrustmaster products in general.

So on the basis of that, I have two working theories and related questions.

1) Are you using a setup file made in v1.00 of the game? The patch might change the format for some wheels, but not all. Hence, some people can load controller files from v1.00 with no problems and others cannot. If you are using an old controller file, I would advise you to delete that (backup of course), switch over to keyboard control, save and exit the game, launch it again and build a new controller file.

2) Are you using a totally fresh installation of GP4? I am aware of the fact that you have patched the game properly, but it seems that far to many rather experienced users of GPx have problems with the controllers after the patch. There might be a "erratic" bug in the patch installation that is triggered by certain settings in GP4. Since the "reinstall-patch and play" solution seems to work most of the time, it could be that the settings in GP4 that triggers this bug, are generated when GP4 has been started before it is patched. Or worse, it might be a totally erratic bug in the patch installation proces, that just happens to a select unfortunate crowd of people, regardless of what they do, or which controller they use.

What do you think, Mortal?

Date: December 01, 2002 02:08AM
I made a new setup file and the results are the same, I cannot select the Z axis in the setup list of available axis, in fact the axis only works on the Y, both the brake and accel are stuck on the same axis. It's a clean install as well. Anyway for the time being I have reverted to the pre-patch decrypted no_cd exe and created a new con file which works on separate axis perfectly! And as an extra added bonus I get gpx back lol. Oh well, shite happens. I'm going to watch a movie, I'll catch you tomorrow, thanks for your effort, have a good weekend, what's left of it for you anyway. Cheers ;-)

Date: December 01, 2002 02:14AM
Cheers Mortal. I hope we can get this sorted out sometime soon.

Date: December 01, 2002 03:30AM
Posted by: raztahz
ask blind freddy...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy