Gp4 problems (fixed-Thanks for all your helps)

Posted by nickcsi 
Gp4 problems (fixed-Thanks for all your helps)
Date: May 17, 2010 09:55PM
Posted by: nickcsi
Hi all, i'm new here. I'm a gamer who finds 'mainstream games' enjoyable, but annoyingly basic and un-challenging. Somebody recomended GP4, and i managed to get a copy on ebay for £10

I looked at a topic on here which described how to set it up.
-Install direct x
-Install gp4
-Install the patch
-install gp4.exe decrypted
-launch quick race, save it, and quit it
-install the gpx patch

It worked brilliantly for friday night, and i was playing it to the wee hours of the morning.

I then came back to it on sunday, and it worked well for half an hour, and then just shut down. no warning, no nothing, my laptop just turned off. (yes laptop, but it could handle it pretty well)

Same thing has happened evey time now. Sometimes within minutes of starting up, sometimes with in seconds. Its mental!

there isnt really any pattern to it. Some times its on a flying lap, sometimes its at race start, and sometimes its just in menus and stuff, nothing particularly difficult to do

I read a topic about somebody on here that experienced the same thing, and i did what was advised (uninstall, and change some settings like CPU)

I apologise that my first post on this forum is a 'help meeee' post, but...well, i dont know what else to do.

Thank you for any help

Follow me on twitter (if you want) : @Nick47CRG
Be genetically different baby!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2010 11:57PM by nickcsi.
Re: Gp4 problems
Date: May 18, 2010 12:56AM
Posted by: mortal
Hi and welcome to the forums. :-) Make sure that cpu in gpx is set to 0. Set the compatibility mode for gpx and gp4.exe to WinXP if you haven't done so already. Set the verbosity in gpx to high, that will give you an error log with the resulting crash dump. You can post the error log in your topic, just edit your topic header to show error log so we all know its there. :-) If the log is too big to post upload it to a file-share site and post the link. Of course if the comp shuts down there will be no error log. Meanwhile, try what I have suggested above and get back to us. If it works, put [fixed] on your header. :-)
Also, is this still a vanilla out of the box installation?

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 18, 2010 01:03AM
Posted by: harjinator
how hot does the laptop get? what surface did you sit it on? I've had that issue with playing GP4 on a laptop, and it was all heat at first, but it corrupted some files and then it took a while to get it running properly again

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: May 18, 2010 10:01AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Does it do it with any other games? Does it do it while using Windows normally, for long to medium periods? I played it on a very basic laptop with an Intel 945GMA graphics card, and it never overheated, never gave this error, that's for sure. This seems like something strange. Maybe it's the power adapter/battery, not being able to give the hardware enough power at random intervals, and thus shutting down? I could be way wrong though, just guessing, dunno much about laptop batteries/dc adapters, but it may be worth a shot if you can get/borrow another adapter, or battery.
Date: May 18, 2010 06:35PM
Right, i'll try what's been advised and get back to you.
Thanks for the help people!

fingers crossed
Date: May 18, 2010 08:29PM
Okay, the CPU is set to 0. How do you set compatability mode?
I tried it again, and it worked for about ten minutes (enough time for me to roll over mika), but then, in a menu just turned off again!

I did notice Mell (my laptop) did get quite toasty, so maybe it's that
It has only done it on this game, and never ever whilst just on windows.

Also, what is a vanilla install?

Sorry for the trouble, but i really do appreciate the help! From what i've played, this game is AWESOME, i just wish i could play for more than 10 minutes!
Date: May 19, 2010 02:13AM
The problem is your laptop over-heating. Try to place the laptop so air will pass underneath, get a couple of logs or something and elevate the case off the table. Vanilla install is out of the box, off the cd with nothing added except the official patch, the no_cd and gpx.
To set compatibility mode, right click the exe. Set gpx to run in debug mode, verbosity high.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 19, 2010 09:51AM
Posted by: Willb
I LOVE this suggestion :D "get a couple of logs or something". Lol :P

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: May 19, 2010 11:31AM
I live in the country...lol ;-)

Date: May 19, 2010 12:16PM
Posted by: Fergy
I don't use my laptop for GP4 but I have a laptop pad by Coolmaster with 3 fan speeds that sure makes a big difference to the running temperature.

Coolmaster laptop pad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2010 12:16PM by Fergy.
Date: May 20, 2010 11:55PM
Right, i opened up my laptop, and took a sizable amount of dust from inside her...

Now she's running cooler than an igloo, and gp4 plays perfectly. Now just need to stop crashing in the rain, and we're on to a winner! Thanks for all your help!
Date: May 21, 2010 07:35AM
Apparently no logs were required to solve this problem. The bill is in the mail. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy