CTD on Windows XP-64bit [Graphics help now]

Posted by Wacky-Racer 
CTD on Windows XP-64bit [Graphics help now]
Date: May 17, 2010 03:10PM
Posted by: Wacky-Racer
I have the 64bit version of XP and cannot seem to keep GP4 either running without a CTD or running smoothly.
My PC specs:

XP 64bit
Dual-core AMD x64 chip
ATI Radeon 4350, catalyst version 9.8 - using the DVI connector
2GB RAM

I have installed the following:

GP4
9.6 patch
no cd
gpxpatch
zaz tools

The game crashes when I try to recalibrate the video.
The game runs like crap when I try to race. It runs great in free practice.

I have most of the graphics either at medium or low or off.

Any Suggestions?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 12:48AM by mortal.
Re: CTD on Windows XP-64bit Help
Date: May 17, 2010 03:48PM
Posted by: mortal
Check that you have set the cpu to 0 in gpx. If there's a ctd, can you post the error log, set verbosity to high in gpx. If the log is too big, post a link. I recall there was a thread on a similar problem a while back, hang in there as there might be a solution.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 17, 2010 08:41PM
Thanks. I will post the log.

I did search before posting but all I found were topics on Windows 7. Some of the suggestions helped a little but they did not fully solve my problem, hence this thread. :)
Date: May 17, 2010 11:25PM
Well, good news and bad news:

Good News: It looks like setting gpxpatch to run in windows xp compatibility mode has stopped the game from crashing.

Bad News: The game is still unplayable in race mode, even with even set to the lowest setting.

So, do I start a new thread about my problem or should I continue to use the current thread?

Also, are there an tips for increasing the frame rate?
Date: May 18, 2010 12:47AM
Download an earlier catalyst, although I have Cat 10 and it runs like a dream, but then I have two cards so meh. You could try the graphics.cfg thread, I think it's linked in the FAQ, maybe there you could find a graphics cgf. Just make sure the first line is set to 1 to enable the file. Try this one here, it is what I currently use and works for me. GP4 Stuff
You should be getting the game to run well in standard un-modded condition. When you have that running as best as you can get it, then apply mods. That way you will know if it is the mod that is causing the slow-down, and not the game. Some mods are notorious for hogging the system and causing slow downs. Also, close any unnecessary programs, like virus scanners that seem to be always busy and doing whatever it is they do in the background. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
I was running Cat 9.8 so I upgraded it to 10.4, no go.

Then I downgraded it to the oldest Cat available - 8.1. It is slightly better but still choppy whenever I get to a corner. Very strange.

Also, I get asked to calibrate the sound every time I start the game. Could that be related?
Re: CTD on Windows XP-64bit [Graphics help now]
Date: May 18, 2010 04:45PM
Posted by: conley12
please look at your graphics menue in gp4 and look at the frame rate. sometimes it is to high. Put it on 25-30% - that is ok and try it. That helps by me.
Date: May 19, 2010 02:09AM
Delete the f1gstate file and restart gp4.

My frame rate is hovering around 22-23, not good enough for racing with everything off. :(
I deleted the figstate.bak file and restarted gp4 - still seeing choppy video.

I'm on Cat version 8.2, about to try 8.3. I don't know what else to do...
Date: May 19, 2010 04:40PM
Posted by: conley12
maybe some programs are running in the background. look at the freeware programm end it all and try it. maybe it helps
Tried updating video driver and foolishly corrupted the thing to the point where I get BSOD.
Frame rate when the PC is stable is at 23, not quite good enough to stop the jitters.

Any others good tips or ideas out there? :)
Date: May 22, 2010 08:09AM
If it was me, I'd have dumped the 64 bit XP OS for W7 32 bit by now. But its not, its you, so there's a choice you could think about. :-)

Yes, that is what I should have done. I did not realize you could run apps in compatibility mode. I am tempted to break out the 32bit version of XP because I have finally stabilized this OS after reinstalling it five times over the weekend. Too many 32 bit apps on here... the driver that came with them are incompatible and finding the correct ones is a waste of time.

I now have to install GP4 from scratch, maybe it will finally work!!
I think I have found my problem - a defective memory chip. I have installed XP 32bit and will reinstall GP4 soon, but with only 1GB of memory I don't think it will run that well.
Date: June 06, 2010 05:18PM
I have confirmed that the game is now working, no crashes or video jitters. My problem was a bad memory chip. Also I can confirm that if a PC has two CPU's, setting it to one of them (I choose 0) prevents the game from crashing (which happened to me until I made the CPU setting change).

Thanks for everyone's help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy