GP4 With PS2 Controllers

Posted by Cmspodwy 
GP4 With PS2 Controllers
Date: November 27, 2002 06:28AM
Posted by: Cmspodwy
Has anyone tried this yet?

I have winxp installed with GP4 v9.6 and two USB adapters that allow me to use my playstation 2 controllers on the PC.

With Fifa 2003, the analogue sticks really enhance the game and I am trying to set up gp4 to use the same.

Thing is, at the moment all I can get it to do is use the first anaolgue stick to accelerate/brake and the second to turn left/right (though I have to push the stick up to turn right and down to turn left....real confusing).

I want to make the first stick in charge of left and right and working in the right direction on the pad and use the buttons for acceleration, braking and gears.

But GP4 won't let me change them.

Any ideas?
Re: GP4 With PS2 Controllers
Date: November 27, 2002 06:44AM
Posted by: Ellis
GP4 has problems enough with properly built PC decives, i cant see it supporting PS2 contorllers very well :';(

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 27, 2002 08:31AM
Posted by: Timm
Sounds like you need a PS2 version of the Sidewinder software

Is there one?

Date: November 27, 2002 11:37AM
Posted by: ADP
I have been using Playstation controllers with GP3 and now GP4 for a while now and I have had no problems whatsoever.
Date: November 28, 2002 05:59AM
How have you mapped your buttons on your PS/PS2 controller?
Date: November 28, 2002 07:24AM
Posted by: tis
All Playstation controllers are USB devices. The interface is different but they are USB nevertheless. All that is required to get them to work on a PC is an interface and a software driver to allow them to be used. I have seen a few products available but in most cases the software driver did not allow much in the way of configuration. As was said something similar to the sidewinder configuration software would be nice but it is unlikely. If anyone is aware of a controller that has decent confiquration options please let us know.

@ADP
What product did you puschase to connect the controller to your machine?? I have looked a a number of options but none seem to be good enough to invest my money in. If possible can you give a link to a website that stocks it????

Thanks.
Date: November 28, 2002 09:30AM
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin..........

I got my adapters for £8 each from play.com.

[www.playserver3.com]

They are the Kiky X-Series adapters.

However, when I got them and installed them with the provided software, win xp was recognising them correctly in the game controllers section but when I would go to play any game, the machine would just hang. Very annoying.

So I checked out the forums in the net for some answers:

[www.neoseeker.com]

Some say it works and some say it doesn't. Turns out it is a driver and USB related problem. Even the driver from the products website didn't help.

Anyway, I remembered that one reply said that he just plugged in the adapters with installing any software and winxp picked it up and worked.

So in the end I used a fresh install of winxp that I hadn't installed the adapter software and low and behold the damn things worked and my games would play without hanging.

So in the end I got there, and it is well worth it as the analogue sticks really do make the difference. Especially on Fifa 2K3.

All I needs to do now is figure out how to map the relevant actions in GP4 to the right buttons on the PS2 controller.

By the way tis, you wouldn't happen to be in Ireland are you?
Date: November 28, 2002 11:19AM
Posted by: Orpheus

Author: tis (---.may.ie)

well i think that confirms it :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: November 28, 2002 12:55PM
Posted by: ADP
I use a USB adapter that I purchased from Liksang.com.

You just plug the Playstation or Playstation 2 controllers into it, then plug the USB plug into the PC.

The good thing is that Windows XP already has the drivers built in to support the device, so no driver disk is required, although you are supplied with one.
Date: November 28, 2002 12:57PM
Yes,
I'm from Ireland alright. How did you guess :)

I looked at the Playstation adapters on www.play.com but the poor software support stopped me from investing that rent money!!! If someone knows of an adaptor with better software support please let the rest of us know.
Date: November 28, 2002 01:02PM
Cheers ADP

Remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Date: November 28, 2002 01:25PM
@ Cmspodwy

This piece of software might help. It allows you to configure jotstick input to keyboard actions. Not likely to help but it will probably let you have digital control with your pad.

[www.levelsix.com]

Remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Date: November 28, 2002 02:35PM
Posted by: AthProject
GP4 with PS2 controllers?

You guys haven't got fantasy. Some time ago I played the good old F1GP driving with a vinyl turntable. My digital scratching system rules.
Date: November 29, 2002 01:53AM
Cheers for that tis. I'll give it a try over the weekend.

The .ie gave it away. Nice to know that the Irish are on the message boards too. I'm a Kildare man myself, though living in York now.
Date: November 30, 2002 02:14PM
Posted by: Covfan
Can the Vibration function be used on the game?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy