Patch: something positive

Posted by LarryM 
Patch: something positive
Date: November 25, 2002 12:44AM
Posted by: LarryM
Well, I made a clean install and patched it. My first impressions after 2 hours on free practice and bits of race are ...well err.. positive. I had none of the problems that I experienced when I installed the game for the first time a week ago. The graphics were really good and po was reasonable (120 on the grid and 80 or so in the race). The "feeling" of speed while driving (combination graphics, sound and ff) is now close to f12002..ie. very good.

My wheel works ok. In the pit lane the wheel behave s a little weirdly.. off centre to the left (I have pulls to left switched off). This is particarily noticeable in Monaco. Otherwise the wheel works noticeably better than before. Gear change down is still sometimes slow (I'm comparing to F12002, where it's really fast-as it should be). Not as slow as before (sometimes I had to hit the paddle 3 times before it reacted and sometinmes I changed down more than I intended). FF is now much much better. It is strong (even at 50%),the wheel is nicely stiff. The feedback on the bumps, kerbs etc is more noticeable and there is more feedback (I think) from the car physics. Still not close to F12002 though.

On a general note I have to say that the graphics ..including the car graphics have begun to impress me. Replays are so beautiful and look so real. The impression of speed is increfibly good. This is one area where F12002 loses. The graphics engine gets overloaded in replays and fps drops (this was even worse in f12001). In races this is really awful (when most of the grid is visible) even with my specs. GP4 is superb in this respect.

The AI seems to have improved and the lovely accurate and detailed tracks are a delight to the eye. as you can see I am almost converted. Must get a solution for the controller (esoeciually gear change) though.

;)

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Re: Patch: something positive
Date: November 25, 2002 12:55AM
Still one thing more. I missed from my previous version special effects (dust and gravel , smoke from the brakes etc). I cannot remember seeing these at all. Now they are very visible and are in my opinion very rather impressively done.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: November 25, 2002 02:41AM
Posted by: Ellis
The graphics were really good and po was reasonable (120 on the grid and 80 or so in the race)

actaully, if u p[ressed "o" to bring that up, then its actaully lower. The yellow boxes increase the PO, by up to 50% sometimes, so its better than you think

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 25, 2002 02:57AM
Posted by: Glyn
The best indication is something like FRAPS

Date: November 25, 2002 03:58AM
Posted by: mortal
Fraps is the way to go ;-), you get screenie and movie hotkeys as well, hehehe, knew you'd be back..... ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 25, 2002 04:25AM
Hi Ellis,
So my po is better than displayed? What are yellow boxes? Is there a way to find out the real op without upsetting the laws of quantum physics - uncertainty theory? Still it's comforting to know, I might try raising the resolution to 1280x1024 again.

Larry
Date: November 25, 2002 04:28AM
Yep, but Fraps tells me fps. What is the relation between fps and op then?

Larry
Date: November 25, 2002 04:38AM
Posted by: mortal
None really Larry, oops sorry. But using the O ingame puts a huge hit on the cpu anyway so it's not a realistic figure. I prefer fraps as there is no cpu hit and I can get a good indication of ingame performance by framerate alone. Cheers.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 25, 2002 07:31AM
Posted by: Vader
Is there a way to find out the real op without upsetting the laws of quantum physics - uncertainty theory?

So how is Mr. Schrödinger's cat lately?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy