Better performance with patch?

Posted by Larry 
Better performance with patch?
Date: November 24, 2002 11:26AM
Posted by: Larry
On my low spec computer, I had a suggested fps of 24. With the same settings, I now get 25 on the patched game. But, I used to get reflections on my car despite having environmental mapping at OFF. Now I don't. To get them back, I put the lighting on Static and the suggested fps went back to 24. This suggests to me that those who think they have improved performance are possibly just being able to turn OFF certain features that the game mistakenly kept ON before the patch.
BTW, the static reflections are worth that single fps.

Re: Better performance with patch?
Date: November 24, 2002 11:44AM
Posted by: Vader
I always thought "dynamic environment mapping" was better quality than "static" or did I get something wrong?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 24, 2002 12:21PM
I guess I wasn't clear. You're right, Vader. But what I meant was that by turning OFF environmental mapping, I was enabling neither static nor dynamic reflections yet the game was still giving me static reflections anyway before the patch. After the patch, the game really was giving me no reflections as I specified in the graphics options.

So even though my performance is improved after the patch, it's only because the game is not giving me the reflections that I didn't ask for in the graphics options.

Date: November 24, 2002 12:27PM
BTW, "dynamic" will give you the real reflections of the surroundings whereas "static" gives you reflections of preset fixed images.

"Dynamic" is obviously more realistic than "static" but significantly raises P.O.

Date: November 24, 2002 12:32PM
Posted by: Glyn
A problem with dynamic enviromental mapping is that your car goes through the car wash with extra wax setting.

Date: November 24, 2002 12:53PM
Since the amount of reflection is controlled by the alpha channels of the car textures (though not everyone agrees on this), the better car makers like RH will probably be lowering this to more realistic levels in their liveries.

Date: November 24, 2002 02:45PM
Posted by: pvisscher
Youre wright no reflections/shinning on the cars anymore after the patch and i did set everything like i had it before. The cars seem much darker then before, it looks like the alpha channels have darkend. Will see what shows up in Photoshop though. Never noticed any difference between static and dynamic setting, even the PO wasn't different when changing this.

Peter Visscher
Driver Team Racebase
Date: November 24, 2002 02:58PM
Posted by: pvisscher
Well GP4Master works with the patched game i just extracted the cars.wad with it to check the alpha channels of the cars/helmets, they are still heavenly white, so why no shinning on the cars then? weird.

Peter Visscher
Driver Team Racebase
Date: November 24, 2002 03:28PM
Posted by: Morbid
I think Larrys theory is spot on. The cars look like they used to when Advanced Lighting and Enviroment mapping is enabled. I also experienced the 1 FPS increase in performance with the patch, that dissappeared when I turned on the Car Wax.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: November 24, 2002 05:09PM
For those who got bigger increases (like 8fps) who knows what other features were affected in the same way!

Date: November 24, 2002 06:01PM
Just another example of how fixes were made, that are not documented in the readme. For instance, the realistic weather option was broken, and switched over to the custom weather slider, each time a race was started. Thats fixed and not mentioned in the readme.

Date: November 25, 2002 03:01AM
I think Larrys theory is spot on. The cars look like they used to when Advanced Lighting and Enviroment mapping is enabled. I also experienced the 1 FPS increase in performance with the patch, that dissappeared when I turned on the Car Wax.

==slightly confused== are you saying that at the moment the cars have a natural reflection on them without turning anything on in the graphics, but when you do it makes them extra waxy?

Date: November 25, 2002 03:20AM
Posted by: bigj
I can absolutely confirm that the alpha channel modulates the strength of the environment reflections.

Where 255 (white in photoshop) => full reflection and 0 (black in photoshop) => no reflection.

However - this feature is hardware dependent - it requires a ADDCOLORMODULATEALPHA blending operation (with alpha cascaded from 1st stage) that some cards don't do (correctly).

This is probably why some people deny it works!

Certainly Geforce2 - 4s and (I'd hope) Radeon 8500 - 9700 should work just fine.
Date: November 25, 2002 07:48AM
No, not quite, Neil. Without Advanced Lighting and Enviromental mapping, there are no reflections AT ALL on the cars. Turning them on gives the usual effect. While better than nothing, I think that effect is slightly overdone (Extra Wax), thats all.

Date: November 25, 2002 12:18PM
No, not quite, Neil. Without Advanced Lighting and Enviromental mapping, there are no reflections AT ALL on the cars. Turning them on gives the usual effect. While better than nothing, I think that effect is slightly overdone (Extra Wax), thats all

Aha, I understand now Morbid. Thanks a lot!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy