Please help! Patch problems

Posted by Go Alesi 
Please help! Patch problems
Date: November 23, 2002 06:06AM
Posted by: Go Alesi
I am unable to install anything using Installshield to instal with on my computer! The problem won't be fixed for months and months.

I need to have the patch for my league. I downloaded the .zip file, and extracted it all. Is there any need to run set-up to install it. Can't I just copy all of those files in the folder with set-up to my GP4 folder?

Please help

Thanks

Re: Please help! Patch problems
Date: November 23, 2002 06:32AM
Posted by: Vader
I am sorry, but I am pretty sure you have to run a setup.exe to get it all right.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 23, 2002 06:38AM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
will a reformat fix ya install shield problem? ;)

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC & GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Date: November 23, 2002 07:11AM
What's a 'reformat'? The only thing apart from a clean Windows install (which my parents won't let me do!) is to install the SR-1 patch for Office 2000. Unfortunately, for some reason it 'stops installing' when doing this. Nothing to do with Install Shield. The CD just keeps spinning round but data is read off it!

Date: November 23, 2002 07:53AM
Posted by: mortal
Your system probably needs to have a bit of a clean up. Install shield failures is not a major drama. Remove all files from the temp dir. Use a registry cleaner like system mechanic or clean reg to strip the registry of any redundant entries. Reboot and retry, if its still the same it's likely a new install of windows may be necessary, plenty of howto's available out there. The install shield appears only to check the exe version and copy the files to the correct folder, overwriting the originals. I'll go against Vaders opinion this time and bet that copying in the extracted files will work. You can only try ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 23, 2002 08:29AM
Thanks mw. I'm not allowed to re-install windows though (bloody parents!!! :D). I know that the office patch WILL sort it out. I doubt just a 'clean up' will do it. It's a drivers problem. Funny though, how the install shield site doesn't recognise the error I'm getting, but the office site does!!

Where do the following files go then:

data2.cab
ikernel.ex_

Thanks

Date: November 23, 2002 01:32PM
Posted by: ferrariace
Yes you can install the patch manually you need to extract the zip then extract the exe with winzip,winrar or winace then you need a program called iscab.Need more instructions email me or give me your email.
Date: November 23, 2002 04:06PM
Posted by: -{TETSUO}-
Or can't you install it to a false dir. Give it a try
Ikernell.exe errors hmmmmm smells like windows is corrupt

The clouds will part and the sky cracks open and god himself will reach his F***ing arm through JUST TO PUSH YOU DOWN JUST TO HOLD YOU DOWN
Date: November 23, 2002 04:14PM
Posted by: mortal
those files go to the gp4 dir, go with acepaint's instructions ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 23, 2002 06:49PM
Posted by: -{TETSUO}-
There is a dir in program files called InstallShield Installation Information its hidden so choose to see all files in tools/folder options. Have a look in there and see if there are any references to GP4. If not may only need to reinstall gp4

The clouds will part and the sky cracks open and god himself will reach his F***ing arm through JUST TO PUSH YOU DOWN JUST TO HOLD YOU DOWN
Date: November 24, 2002 04:10AM
Right!!

So I extract the files to the GP4 directory. Then, I use iscab. What is this program, what does it do?

TETSUO, where did ikernal.exe errors come from? What is it? Also, this is not a GP4 specific problem, so a re-install won't help.

Thanks everybody, but could somebody please explain to me in simple terms exactly what to do :D

Thanks again

Date: November 24, 2002 04:12AM
I actually treid copying everything to the directory yesterday. Result: It didn't mend anything, and my saved game was the original GP4 according to Hofxlap. But it introduced bugs. There were blank boxes where the arcade overlays go, even though they weren't turned on! My the Ferraris also went totally white (I was driving one)!

Wierd

Date: November 24, 2002 12:25PM
Ok if you got the zip file unzip it to a temp dir. then open the exe with winzip,winrar or winace and extract it to a temp folder(ie gppatch)Get iscab and put it in it's own folder and double click on th reg file and start iscab.Now click file-open and point it to the folder you extracted the exe and choose the .hdr file.Since I can't get iscab to run since I seem to have a windows files missing you will have to look around but I think you click on the 3rd button and then scroll down to the bottom where it shows program files or exe or something click on the program files thing and it will tell you where the files go then click the plus sign and you will see all of the files double click or right click on the file and extract it either to the correct gp4 dir or to another temp folder and then move the file to the correct gp4 folder.Some files will not overright the old files thats why you have to extract and then copy them over.If I remember correctly there are only 2 directorys with the files you need the rest are for the patch setup.
Date: November 25, 2002 11:08AM
I see now. I did try to open up the . hdr file with a hex editor, but no luck.

Where can I get this iscab? I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks for the help :D

Date: November 25, 2002 12:20PM
Date: November 27, 2002 01:49PM
Thank yooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! :D

Yessssssssssssss! I've downloaded it and it works. I have to extract the files all over the place though (about 4 or 5 folders)

Can you get a program that can extract these files from set-up programs? Some things (usually demo downloads) just come with the .exe. Can you extract these .hdr files from the .exe and then do this?

Thanks again

Date: November 27, 2002 04:13PM
No problem,as for your question I have no idea try doing some creative searching with yahoo,google or something else.
Date: March 10, 2004 05:13AM
Posted by: jdoggydog
Hi Ferrari Ace (or anyone else that can help!),
I have had the same problem as "go alesi" and have followed the steps you wrote about manually installing the patch using iscam.
However when I then click on GP4.exe to start the game, it says:

ERROR: Readfile ()

Cannot create a file when that file already exists

What is the problem?

I have a seperate GP4 program I use without the patch. I need the patch for a gp4 league so I have installed another copy of the game. If I change the .exe file in my original gp4, it still comes up with the same message in the gp4 i am trying to patch.

PLEASE HELP!!! I'VE BEEN TRYING TO INSTALL THIS PATCH FOR DAYS!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy