Roll out

Posted by Vader 
Roll out
Date: November 14, 2002 08:04AM
Posted by: Vader
After being condemned to play GP4 just with a keyboard, I just finished my first real roll out today. Yes, it is true, finally I got the Logitech MOMO Force Wheel! A few laps in Melbourne, Imola, Spa and Monaco convinced me that it does not really feel much different to GP3. I had a few spins in slower corners (like Tosa/Imola or the last corner in Melbourne). I am not quite sure if it is because GP4 is harder to drive or because of my lack of practice (3 month without wheel).

Anyway, I was amazed by the graphics - though I was that already when using the keyboard. I just feel with this wonderful wheel I can now full appreciate the game.

(God, I love the smell of fresh leather that comes sfrom the wheel!!!!)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Re: Roll out
Date: November 14, 2002 08:08AM
Posted by: Morbid
Congrats with the new wheel. May it serve you well, bro.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: November 14, 2002 11:28AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I have to say nice one vades for getting a wheel ;)

Every other racing game feels soooooooooooooooooooo much better.

Date: November 14, 2002 11:54AM
The thing is I already had a brilliant wheel - the Saitek R4 Force Wheel. It took me almost 4 years to break it, but round about June this year I finally managed to do it. I ordered the Logitech at my local PC shop three month ago, but for some reason teh ywere not able to get it. When I called Logitech Germany they confirmed that they had some bottlenecks in production/distribution. So I almost gave up hope. BUT sometimes you don't see the wood for the trees. The guy who owns the place me and my girl have rent three month ago has his own computer whole sale trade. Normally they do only sell stuff to big companies, but when I asked him on Monday if he could get a wheel for me, he said "No problem, Vader, how many do you need?" I answered "One is enough for a humble person like me". He raised his magic wand, clicked the heels of his red patent leather shoes three times and said "Hello sailor". (No, I was just testing if you were still reading) He said "You'll have it by the end of the week".

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 14, 2002 12:20PM
Posted by: Glyn
Vader, now you can feel the force of your new wheel :)

(I wont explain the several puns in that) :)

Date: November 14, 2002 12:26PM
Posted by: simonsteele
Date: November 14, 2002 02:07PM
Posted by: Ellis
after playing nascar 2002 then going into gp4 with a wheel i was extreamly disappointed.

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 15, 2002 05:44AM
Posted by: Boils
disappointed because nascars dont have as much grip and downforce as f1 cars??
Date: November 15, 2002 05:48AM
disappointed cos the FFB was...well....terrible compared with N2002 and GPL. In N 2002 and GPL u feel whats happeneing to the car...in GP4 it just rumbles really.

Im gettin very sick of GP4. Its very easy compared with some other games, and its just a apin in the arse game. On my newly built comp it runs at 15fps on the lowest res on the lowest details. And yet, nascar 2002, which looks considerably better out of the box, runs at 60fps, full details, full res.

1.2ghz
GF2 64Mb MX
256Mb RAM
Win XP Pro

Im pretty sure my comp should be able to run GP4 better than this, considering better looking games run perfectly fine.

I also had it CTD first time too, that wasnt fun. Despite me liking my wallpaper, i'd rather be playing the game

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 15, 2002 04:50PM
Posted by: Boils
I think GP4 is designed to be easy...

anyone can drive around the course without spinning out but it takes a bit of time b4 u can beat the ace difficulty.

The other day i was fiddling around with my carser up and i cant remember what i did but i had the car loosing grip at the back under brakes, it made it feel like f12001 so if u want to make it harder u should try that maybe...

but i like it the way it is, it makes u able to drive just like a real f1 driver

i also like nascar and gpl but 1 thing wrong with both of them is u cant have an entertaining 40 lap battle with JV around albert park
Date: November 15, 2002 05:16PM
i also like nascar and gpl but 1 thing wrong with both of them is u cant have an entertaining 40 lap battle with JV around albert park

no, but u can have an entertaning 50 lap battle round Daytona. I ran 25 laps side by side with Jeff Gordon at Bristol.

that was impressive fun

Date: November 15, 2002 05:41PM
Posted by: LS.
nascar 2002 & GPL are proper simulations and GP4 is clearly shown for what it is

if more thought and resource was put into GP4 that was put into the former then we would have the definitive F1 sim

as it stands nascar 2002 and GPL will be on my Playlist for the unseeable future, i cannot say the same for GP4

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: November 15, 2002 10:02PM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
yeah the force feedback is very week in GP4.

I wana get nascar 2002!!! the last nascar game i played was like 3 years ago or somfin..

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC & GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Date: November 16, 2002 07:34AM
Im not on bout weak force feedback, just general bad FFB. ooo, it rumbles, and the N2002 FFB really does feel like a burst tyre etc

Date: November 16, 2002 09:23AM
I'm just giving F1 2002 another go. Currently I try to compare both games (F1 2002 and GP4) as they come out-of-the-box. My firts impression is: Why can't we have the best of both worlds? I command EA to employ Geoff Crammond for a hybrid F1 2003/GP5. This is no wish but an order. And I can get angry if mortals don't do as they were told!

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 16, 2002 12:41PM
Posted by: Glyn
The problem GP4 has is the default setups. They give more understeer than than a car with metal wheels. If you tweak the car and make it more 'lively' then the game comes alive. But I do think the F1 2003/GP5 combo would work. Would probably make quite a decent game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy