Time to dump GP4 ready for Codemasters F1 2010 in September?

Posted by neldav03 
I think that it depends on what you want and what you're expecting.

If you're looking for a simulator, GP4 won't suffer for the release of Codemasters F1 2010, because, even if the former isn't a total proper simulation, it sure will still come closer to that with respect to the latter.

If you're looking for some arcade fun, Codemasters F1 2010 will probably be the way and GP4 could easily be forgotten when F1 2010 will come out.

Sure, we have seen so little about this new Codemasters title, but I express my criticism on the following points:
- as you can notice from the videos, in the cockpit view you still have all the infos about current lap, position and so on in the upper angles of the screen: that's something I hate, even in GP4, because I think that, if you're a simulation-fan, you HAVE to drive from cockpit view and you've to live the same experience of a real driver. This means that it's so stupid to have all that writings on the screen telling you which lap you're in and which position you're;
- no mechanical failures;
- no safety car and formation lap: come on, a simulation can't come without these;
- no advanced car setup: Codemaster justifies this by telling that, just as a real driver, you'll talk with your engineers, telling them the behaviour of the car, and they'll make all the necessary adjustments. Codemaster forgets that a real driver doesn't only tell his engineers «too much understeer/oversteer» and so on, but studies telemetry with his engineers and knows ALL the components of his car, so that his technical knowledge is undoubtedly more than a simple «car slips while in curves» or «car brakes too hard». Shame on Codemasters, so, for this ipocritical way to do, «selling» as realism something that they know is quite the opposite;
- press releases, rivalries: Codemaster says that this will bring realism to the game. For me, it's just an arcade thing, and recalls arcade games like NFL Madden series by EA (career mode) or the rivalries you could experience in the old Super Monaco GP by Sega (that was all but a simulation, since you could easily drive on all the tracks without touching a single time the brake, after a while).

Sadly, I think that this F1 2010 will be a title made (by kids?) for kids. You will be probably able to overtake 10 cars in a lap (so that your ego can be satisfied: all the products, to be economically successful, must satisfy human ego), and you won't be able to live the battles with AI that you actually can live by playing GP4 (when sometimes you can only gain 0.1 seconds per lap on the opponent ahead of you, and you've to suffer a lot to build your success, taking the risk to stress the car and provoke mechanical failures while you're on the chase).

Oh, and you can't have realism when you release a game for consoles, since you've to adapt the game to their controllers. So, all PC games suffer for lack of realism when they're projected even with console in mind. A proper simulation wouldn't think about money, but about... simulating: so, if I was a project director for a F1 game, I'd make it available for consoles and PC, but I'd make it unplayable without a wheel. That's what Simbin does, by the way, in the PC world, with their GREAT titles: no wheel, no party. That's simulation.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 10:49AM by jojoman.
GTR 2 is very playable with keyboard, and that's by SimBin.
GTR 2 was playable by keyboard, yes, but GTR 1 wasn't so much playable though. Add to this that, while GTR 2 was better than GTR 1 (bug fest), it was criticised because of the evident new way to adapt the physics to the needs of the majority of casual players that remained quite frustrated by the neat difficulty of GTR 1.

Anyway, of course even with keyboard, some simulators (or almost-simulators like GP4) remain «playable», but the difficulty is increased and you can't afford to have the maximum from them or to compete against serious human opponents on the net. It seems to me that the direction of the new Codemaster title (and the direction of racing games, in general, given that the majority is «arcadish») is that, with a simple controller, you can really do an hell of race on the track and be the new Senna. And this is something that, in my humble opinion, is caused by the fact that the developer focuses on console players needs.
conley12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> please look at this
> first video of f12010

Okay... I want it.
looks very good, but I have doubts whether it is going to be as fun as gp4.
I also have the wii 2009 version and its a pile of poop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 01:20PM by DJSKYLINE.
DJSKYLINE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> looks very good, but I have doubts whether it is
> going to be as fun as gp4.
> I also have the wii 2009 version and its a pile of
> poop.

aah, I've could not have said it better myself! ;)

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Not even considering buying it any more. After the mech failures letdown and then the videos where the passing looks like taking candy from a baby compared to real life, uh-uh.

F1 2011 must be a huge improvement for me to even consider it.
I'm at least going to try it out, no matter how arcade the PS games always were I enjoyed playing them too, so I probably will like this one. I will however not dump GP4 for it, GP4 is a too good of a game to be replaced by anything.

If you are racing, keep on racing and get some points!

GPG Super League S11 | Driver #41 | Team-manager | Snake Motorsports Racing Group | Next Race: Emmeloord - Flevoland GP | Constructors: 10th | Best Race Finish: 1st
GPG Super League Season 9 Testers Champion*
I never even had a PS, that's how much I dislike arcade.

GP4 might not be a full-on sim, but it's way closer than any other I've come across.
The Wii version was developed by a completely different company..
Yeah, I don't know how many times we need to scream...

THE WII VERSION IS COMPLETELY SEPERATE FROM THE 2010 VERSION, DON'T COMPARE THEM!!!

:)
Does no-one listen, the game was in pre alpha mode at the event, and in full arcade mode! Codies say they'll be a sim mode with maybe advanced car setup etc. I agree, I'd like a safety car, but hey, if you want one, go get rF2!

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy