help please editing wad files

Posted by brian 
help please editing wad files
Date: November 07, 2002 03:25AM
Posted by: brian
could someone please send or give me some idea on how to edit cars wad ect using csc4 or gp4 master [do u overwrite the hi ferr fies? and on recompiling the files back into the game thanks for any help on this matter
im a little bit lost on this one
Re: help please editing wad files
Date: November 07, 2002 03:58AM
Posted by: mortal
So is everyone else apparently, see the " wad files hate me" and "wad file compiler wanted" posts. Editing is usually done with GP4Master, "how to" instructions are in the install file. Recompiling is a bitch as the file never seems to be created where you would expect it to be, even though you specify a dir the re-compiled wad appears in the gp4master dir. And get this, after editing the tex files, and yes I have checked and re-checked the goddamn wad over and over again to see that the new files HAVE been inserted, gp4 still displays the original files, how this can be possible is a complete mystery to me and no-one else seems to have an answer either. My advice, forget it! It was complete waste of time and effort. I've given up on it until someone comes up with a way of doing it that actually works!

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 07, 2002 09:24AM
Posted by: pvisscher
Have no problem with gp4master at all, i specify where i want my new cars.wad or anim.wad and it is placed there. As for not seeing your imported artwork, i had this several times, this struck odd until i got a brainwave...i used a new f1graphics.cfg and the line USE 32bit ALWAYS was set to =0 in this one, changed it back to =1 and there was my artwork again.
Date: November 08, 2002 04:19AM
Interesting information, I have been specifying where I want the file but it won't go there. Also the first line in my f1graphics.cfg is turned off, set to "0" therefore gp4 is not using it, isn't downsampling in gp4master allowing the use of 16 bit textures? ok then how about taking the new textures and setting the bit rate in photoshop or paint shop pro to 16 bit maybe. Well I'm going to test this option out, I don't really need to use a cfg file since I have a top end system P4 2.4ghz with all the bells and whistles. I haven't even done a graphics calibration, just most everything on 'cept bump mapping and video walls, heat haze set to off at 1024 res and it runs really well. Back to the drawing board. ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 08, 2002 09:21AM
Why go to photoshop to turn it into 16-bit textures? You can do this in GP4Master. I load the hi-.tex file i want, which has a resolution of 512x512 if i want low res i just click on the one below it (256x256) and save that as the lowres counterpart of the hi-.tex file.

Don't know why you cant specify a path in gp4master to save your .wadfile too, strange one.
Date: November 09, 2002 04:58AM
exactly, downsampling does this yes? therefore why do I need to alter the cfg file? If all the files have been inserted corrdctly and downsampled I should be able to see them, yet i cannot......like I said, I give up.

Date: November 09, 2002 06:36AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Well, i hadn't verify it, but i think your matter is that you focus on hi_carname textures and try to obtain 16bit with it.
But i think that tex used by game for 16bit mode are carname.tex files and those for 32bit are hi_carname.tex files.
So just try to replace the carname.tex files with your textures and make a try, it might be a good test :)

Anyhow downsampling has no effect on colour depth at all, it just change size of texture to help the game to handle mipmapping.

Date: November 09, 2002 08:42AM
Thats correct LO2k you still have to overwrite the carname.tex files which are used for low res (16bit) so if you where in GP4 master and loaded hi-carname.tex then select the 256x256 one and save it as carname.tex.
Not exactly
Date: November 09, 2002 09:30AM
Hmm, i not agree with you Peter, if you open a hi_carname.tex file, select the 256*256 and save it as carname.exe, you will not have a file using the same format as other carname.tex.
Proof is that if you open you just create file, you will see it is still a 512*512 tex file and not a 256*256 like carname.tex files use.

The correct way to do it is to open the hi-carname.tex file, select the 256*256 mipmap size and choose "extract seleted file" to save the texture in tga.
Then you have to open the old carname.tex file you wish to update, select the 256*256 mipmap and choose "replace "selected, using the tga you just saved.
Next you need to click on downsample to update each mipmap and then you can save the tex to replace original carname.tex file with your new texture.

Re: Not exactly
Date: November 09, 2002 10:25AM
The way you just said it is totally correcto mundo, i could have typed that. just minutes ago i did send an message to one of our league contenders explainning this matter in the same way you just did. I mend it the same way but did not make the effort to type all the words, sorry for that LO2K
Re: Not exactly
Date: November 09, 2002 02:57PM
No problem :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy