PC performance boost & gp4

Posted by sgtbilko 
PC performance boost & gp4
Date: October 26, 2002 03:01AM
Posted by: sgtbilko
Hi, thought someone might be interested in this. I used a prog called 98lite to remove the browser integration from windows (98 or ME users) & now I have a big performance boost overall & also in gp4. I can now even run dynamic bump mapping, everything is cranked up & running great & no crashes (most windows crashes are caused by internet exploder anyway).
I bought the pro version which kills system restore & a whole load of other junk but the main job is done by the freeware version from www.litepc.com
Windows now floats on about 45Mb ram instead of guzzling about 110.
Hope this is useful to someone.

Phil
Re: PC performance boost & gp4
Date: October 26, 2002 08:49AM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box, and you can also turn off System Restore manually.

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: October 26, 2002 09:58AM
Posted by: Glyn
MSCONFIG is also a lot cheaper :)

You can also disable System Restore in the System Properties (Win key+Pause/Break).

I also find it helps to read how these programs work, and try and find out how they do them first because they normally just change settings in the registry. However sometimes it is nice to have it all bundled in a box for you.

Date: October 26, 2002 10:10AM
Posted by: genesis
Do you mean it turns restore off permnantly? so you can never use it again? (i.e. when you need to use it :p)

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: October 26, 2002 11:33AM
Posted by: Orpheus
i had to do this once when the sb live! sound card F**ked up my system. i turned off system restore and then when i found out that, that (lol) wasnt a problem i turned it back on only to find that all my system restore points were deleted but the moral of the story is that system restore can b turned off and on in MSCONFIG.

i hope that(again) answers your question cai :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: October 26, 2002 11:46AM
Posted by: sgtbilko
The free option is to disable web integration which is the heavy resource user. Don't think you can do that any other way, xept to go back to win95 anyway

Phil
Date: October 27, 2002 04:15AM
Posted by: Glyn
The problem with disabling system restore is that it is disabled, and if you need to use it you cant. Thats why I keep it enabled (ive got the HD space you see) and just delete the old restore points except the current one when it starts taking up too much space.

Date: October 27, 2002 08:03AM
Posted by: ramoats
Yes, true...but the reason for disabling it is to cut the enormous overhead/disk access activity that goes on without your permission...I guess it's also a matter of taste. If anyone is interested, I used a neat little utility called System Restore Remover Pro V 1.5...it did a great job without putting tenticles into system and registry. Doing it through msconfig isn't always effective......I took a lok at this program that started the thread and it scared me a little when I saw the install routine.

RA Moats
Date: November 04, 2002 03:58AM
Posted by: JC
system Restore on my PC is messed it, it dosn't work lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy