Slimtex Question....{Solved at last - hooray!}

Posted by mortal 
Slimtex Question....{Solved at last - hooray!}
Date: January 21, 2010 10:42AM
Posted by: mortal
How to convert 200 x 200 jpegs to gpi please. What I get is a corrupt file.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 12:53AM by mortal.
Re: Slimtex Question
Date: January 21, 2010 11:23AM
Posted by: quickslick
first you have to convert the jpg to tga, then include an alphachannel and after this, you can load an existing gpi with gpi browser. Then insert your tga and save the file as gpi :)
Date: January 21, 2010 11:31AM
What about using a bmp? I'm sure I've done this before without having to have an alpha channel.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 21, 2010 11:33AM
it won't works without an alphachannel and you can use only tga files
Date: January 21, 2010 11:39AM
How do I add the alpha channel, there's nowhere in slimtex that says add a channel

Date: January 21, 2010 11:43AM
What I've done so far is drop the file into the batch to tga window, set the output and convert, I get a tga. I drop the tga into the batch to gpi window and convert, I get a corrupted file with jagged lines.

Date: January 21, 2010 12:12PM
Posted by: b-tone
You need to add an alpha channel in photoshop or something. You get the option when saveing as.
Why do you need a 200x200 .gpi?

____
Tony

Date: January 21, 2010 12:22PM
I convert the jpg to tga format with slimtex, then drop it into photoshop, save as a tga with alpha channels, overwrite. Drop it into the batch to gpi window in slimtex, convert..........corrupted, cannot view it as a gpi.

Date: January 21, 2010 12:35PM
Posted by: LWC
save the tga in photoshop with alpha channel and check the compress RLE box

RaceSimsPitstop

Game Screens
Date: January 21, 2010 12:49PM
Same result with RLE checked.

Date: January 21, 2010 01:17PM
maybe it's the wrong file size
Date: January 21, 2010 02:19PM
Posted by: b-tone
take the jpg to photoshop, save as tga, choose 32 bit (that will give an all white alpha if you haven't created one) then convert that tga to gpi.
The gpi might need to have power of 2 sides 2,4,8,16...
Why do you need 200x200?

____
Tony

Date: January 21, 2010 03:56PM
Posted by: LWC
i think resolution does have a part to play, maybe check what res the gpi files are your trying to replace

RaceSimsPitstop

Game Screens
Date: January 21, 2010 10:41PM
They are for helmets, I'm updating an existing mod for re-release. I shall try that again. I don't remember having all this bother previously.

Edit: Dropped jpg into PS. Cannot save as tga with alpha channel, box cannot be checked! Alpha chann is not available in the channels window, only RGB, R, G, & B. So, drop jpg into slimtex, convert to tga. Success. Drop tga back into PS. Hit alpha channel, image goes white, save as tga with alpha chan selected, 32 bit, rle selected. Drop tga into slimtex again, batch to gpi, same corrupted file result.
Sample jpg for conversion to gpi. There are about a dozen of these to be done. All 200 x 200 with slightly differing file sizes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2010 10:56PM by mortal.
Re: Slimtex Question....now it's driving me craaaazy!!
Date: January 22, 2010 12:32AM
Posted by: ZaZ
if you don't use transparency, then the alpha channel is not really necessary.
the trouble with the gpi's you have is due to the fact gpi files themselves don't contain image information about height and width.
for unknown files, Slimtex tries to play smart and guesses resolution based on pixelcount.
Gp4 doesn't contain 200 * 200 gpi files, so that's why the image is distorted.
Drag the files you want to replace into Slimtex to see what dimensions it should have.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: January 22, 2010 12:39AM
Where in slimtex can I see the dimensions? The file size for each gpi I want to replace is 256kb.

Date: January 22, 2010 12:47AM
If you drag a file in the batch box you can see information about that file.
You can do the same trick with lots of files of course

Date: January 22, 2010 12:52AM
Thanks, the problem is now solved! W00t!

Opened the gpi for replacement in Slimtex, converted to tga. Opened the tga in PS. Opened the jpg in PS, select all and copy. Close, paste to the tga. Free transform from 200 x 200 to 256 x 256. (there is the problem, as you said, the dimensions) Merge the layers. Save as tga, alpha checked. Drop tga into Slimtex, batch to gpi. Viola, perfect. Rather convoluted, fortunately there is only 44 to do if I redo all the helmet photos for both mods I'm working on.

Thanks again. :-)

Re: Slimtex Question....{Solved at last - hooray!}
Date: January 22, 2010 01:21AM
How about this trick:

Drag all your jpg's to Slimtex batch to TEX.
Ctrl+A or drag a box to select all
Width&Height button
256 * 256
Format A8R8G8B8
Transparency Opaque

Click convert.

Click Batch to GPI tab
Drag newly created tex files onto Slimtex

Click convert

Re: Slimtex Question....{Solved at last - hooray!}
Date: January 22, 2010 01:51AM
You Sir, are a legend. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy