Gearbox problem

Posted by Boils 
Gearbox problem
Date: October 14, 2002 04:38AM
Posted by: Boils
In all racing games i use MT

Most cars in F1 now have 7 speed gearbox's and i am used to using 6 speed in GP3 now on GP4 I have the choice of 7 speed, am i missing out on anything by not using 7 speed, it must be better if most F1 cars have it

I tried 7 speed but felt i was loosing time not knowing the ideal gear for that corner.
anyone have/had same problem?
Re: Gearbox problem
Date: October 14, 2002 04:51AM
Posted by: mortal
How often would you engage 7th? As for using 7th on a corner I can only think of flat out on Eau Rouge ;-) You can set the gear ratios yourself in the setup options as I'm sure you know so if you shorten 6th gear you will get 7th earlier if that makes sense ;-/ Morbid is the expert on this if I remember rightly but he's not here all that often but you might get lucky ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 26, 2002 05:46AM
Posted by: newt
7th gear would have the same ratio as 6th in a 6 gear set-up. all the others need to be adjusted as well.
The idea is to spend more time at the top of the rpm curve.
RPM=HP.
HP=acceleration.
You will need to tweak ratios in some gears to be a little longer, in order to prevent having to shift up that split second before braking for a corner, but that is track and driving style dependant.
Date: October 26, 2002 10:00AM
Posted by: Glyn
I had this problem too Ben. When using 6 speed and AT its easy to judge how fast to go round a corner, but the simple fact is 7 gears give a quicker acceleration. However it is harder to judge some corners because if you drop too much speed it changes down. It really depends on the track. Somewhere like Monza you need 7 gears, but a track like Monaco it probably isnt so important.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy